“Generous Margaritas and lots of Gluten Free options” 5 of 5 stars

Good for: Families with children, Bar scene
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: 8th Street
Transit: Lincoln Avenue between 8th and 9th Street.
Description: Fun, casual dining in historic downtown Steamboat Springs, Colorado. The Cantina is one of Steamboat’s oldest dining establishments and serves creative Mexican cuisine and award winning fresh squeezed margaritas for lunch and dinner daily.The highly acclaimed fresh-squeezed margaritas are made with fresh lemons and limes — no sour mix here. Signature items include tequila-fired fajitas served flaming table side; Chimi Cozumel filled with shrimp, mushrooms & spinach topped with jalapeno pesto cream sauce; Carne Asada made with tender buffalo steak; and homemade cinnamon fried ice cream.The Cantina in Steamboat offers a children’s menu, a gluten free menu, a large variety of vegetarian options and plenty of fresh salads and soups.
Colorado
“Generous Margaritas and lots of Gluten Free options”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

LOVE that you cater for the gluten sensitive ... fantastic to be able to enjoy corn chips and salsa with my HUGE Margarita, and come home feeling good. Fajitas were excellent.

• Visited January 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Steamboat Springs, Colorado
“Favorite margaritas in Steamboat! Great for kids, too”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

Always love the margaritas at Cantina! They're fresh-squeezed, and you can choose your tequila. Also a great spot to bring the kids - great atmosphere, with adult- and kid-friendly options. A Steamboat favorite for our family!

• Visited March 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Denver, Colorado
“Only go if you have 3 hours to spare and don't have kids”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

Awful Awful Awful. We went on a Saturday evening, maybe that was our mistake. We had 2 toddlers and 4 adults. They told us 20 minutes, and it was at least 45 to an hour. It was cold outside and no place to stand inside, and the kids went crazy. Had we had a realistic expectation of waiting time, we would have gone somewhere else. Once we were seated, we ordered, and waited another hour to an hour and a half for our food. The waiter apologized multiple times and said it was the kitchen's fault, but everyone around us got their food. The manager came by and apologized, but I was disappointed to see that in the end we didn't have anything removed from the bill. Then to accomodate a large party, they turned the tables next to us, so that whenever the servers went by our table they knocked into my child's high chair. The only food that got a good mark was the fish tacos, everyone else was not happy with their food. I ordered a side of rice and beans, that were also not good, it came after our meal, and I was still charged for it. I grew up on good Mexican food, and this was not it. We all agreed we should have gone to taco bell, and we don't like taco bell. PASS!

• Visited March 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
L17efty17, Owner at The Cantina, responded to this review, March 6, 2013
Hello,

This is Jeff LaRoche, I am the Owner/GM of the Cantina in Steamboat Springs. I apologize for your experience at Cantina. We pride ourselves in our service as well as customer relations. Saturdays are inherently busy at Cantina and we try to please everybody as well as we can. Unfortunately sometimes Murphys Law goes into effect and when it rains it pours. The ultimate blame goes to me. The mistake that we made was starting you off on the wrong foot it sounds like. Our staff is trained to give longer than expected wait times because there is no way to tell who is going to sit around after they are done eating and who is not so I am going to look into why they gave you a shorter wait time than it auctually was. As far as the food time and the quality of food, we try and not have a ticket time more than 25 minutes. This is usually not a problem until we get busy, that is when everything gets backed up. We knew the kitchen was terribly backed up on Saturday and our servers were supposed to communicate that with the tables. The rough part is that this building is over 100 years old and the kitchen cannot be made bigger so we have to work with what we have. We continue everyday to try and streamline it to be better but it is a continuous struggle. Again, Im terribly sorry for your experience and can assure you that that is typically not your usual experience at Cantina. Please email me so that we can chat a bit more about your experience. You would be doing us a favor by doing so, we can only learn by constructive criticism.

Jeff LaRoche
Owner/GM
Cantina Restaurant
818 Lincoln Ave
Steamboat Springs, CO 80487
Burlington, Vermont, United States
“Excellent”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

Great food. Fast-paced atmosphere. Reasonable cost for alcohol. Friendly service. On a busy Saturday night we were seated quickly, chips delivered and wait service attentive but not over bearing.

Visited March 2013
L17efty17, Owner at The Cantina, responded to this review, March 12, 2013
Thanks for the great review.. We pride ourselves on our service, food and try to make every experience a quality one. Thanks again and hope to see you back here soon!!
Denver, Colorado
“Bartender”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

Since when is it ever okay to tell your customers they need to tip? I was always taught it is absolutely unacceptable to even mention tips unless asked.

I would hope the owner would fire this bartender for insulting his customers (he said it to others besides my party and I).

Food was average.

• Visited February 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
L17efty17, Owner at The Cantina, responded to this review, March 3, 2013
Hello,

My name is Jeff LaRoche, I am the owner of the Cantina. I am terribly sorry the bartender (Thomas) left you with a bad feeling in your stomach. Rest assured, none of our staff is taught to ask for a tip or even mention it. On the night you were here (Wednesday) we have a special every week that two random names drawn out of a hat get to drink for free. Those names then are able to come into the bar area of the restaurant on that specific night and get select drinks absolutely free. One struggle our bartenders have is that unfortunately some of those people that drink for free do not tip at all. Our bartenders have become jaded at this and it makes it tough to even get a bartender to work that night. Im not making excuses for Thomas and I have addressed the situation but I wanted you to know the totality of the circumstances. I am terribly sorry that you have felt the need to give us such a low score based off of your experience. We pride ourselves on putting out outstanding food, drinks and service. Clearly that last one was not up to par. Please feel free to stop by the Cantina next time your around and I will personally buy you a margarita or the drink of your choice for your troubles and I promise not to ask for a tip:)