“Hungry and frozen” 3 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
Carrollton
“Hungry and frozen”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013 via mobile

The gondola ride at night is beyond words. You simply can't beat the views in Steamboat. Even though we were bundled up and they give you wool blankets, we almost froze to death. When you get to the top they have hot chocolate and cider to drink.. Both were very good. We enjoyed the snowcat sleigh ride as well, even though it was seriously about -25 degrees up there. Ragnar's is a beautiful place. It wasn't warm enough for the bitter cold outside. The servers are very attentive and nice. The appetizers were delicious.. A mixture of bread, cheeses, meats, etc., the problem was that it was almost 7 in the evening and we were starving and they only give you one bite of everything. I had a salad with smoked fish.. It was divine. I ordered the filet for dinner and even though it tasted great , it was about 2 ounces of meat. I thought it was another appetizer when they sat it down. A couple of people in our group ordered elk.. Mistake! It was disgusting. They also serve it in some red sauce that tastes like overly sweet Chinese food sweet and sour sauce. The manager came over to ask how everything was but he didn't like our response about the elk. He disagreed saying it was some of the best he's ever eaten. We all have an opinion I guess. He was kind enough to bring out a filet in place of the elk that was much bigger than the one I had. Dessert was chocolate fondue..heavenly! They give you one piece per person of the cookies, strawberries, truffles, etc. I guess we were greedy because we all wanted more of that. I have mixed feelings about this evening..it's hard to enjoy anything when you are freezing to death, and when your bill is $350 I kind of expect to leave full. However, everything but the elk was very delicious and you can't beat the views.

“Wonderful Evening”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

It was an evening we will always remember. Romantic gondola and sleigh ride. Food and drinks were outstanding. The staff and manager were very friendly and wanted to make sure our evening was perfect.

• Visited January 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Fun adventure”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012

This is must do at least once. It's so much fun going up the mountain in the evening. The experience is one that you will never forget. Dress warmly for the snow cat "sleigh" ride. Enjoy the stars! The food is mostly good but it is the whole experience that makes the evening.

“Awesome Experience!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2012 via mobile

This is more than a meal, but an experience... A fun trip up the gondola, a snowcat pulled sleigh ride on the mountain, a nice 5 course meal, great singing entertainment, and Amazing nighttime views of Steamboat.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Good Family Fun”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2012

I live in Steamboat, but had a bunch of family visiting, and we decided to make this our big night out. I had a lot more fun than expected! The sleigh ride was great--a very different way to experience the mountain. I thought the food was very good--excellent appetizers, the salad was fresh, main course was a good steak, and chocolate fondue for dessert. I can see why people would be upset if the food quality was poor, but our meal was excellent, and to some extent, you pay for the experience. I'd recommend it to out of towners for something different to do with the family.

Visited December 2011