“So sad” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #22 of 22 Hotels in Steamboat Springs
Westminster, Colorado
“So sad”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

My family owned the Western Lodge from 1967 to 1976. We took so much pride in the lodge and now it is a run down pit. My wife and I wanted to enjoy a trip back in time this summer and were turned away by a sketchy owner and a freighting room. The rooms had the same furnishings as when my folks sold it, the exterior was run down and as disgusting as the interior of the rooms.
Thank goodness it was not reserved and money not exchanged. We stayed elsewhere. So sad to see a fond part of my life turned into a trash heap. Stay at your own risk, and my apologies to those that enjoyed our hospitality in the distant past.

Room Tip: Stay anywhere else!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Warrensburg, Missouri
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

My friend and I wanted a room and asked for a single bed (it's cheaper at most places). The owner refused to give us a room because "he doesn't do that" for people of the same sex. I have never been refused service at any establishment in any state.

I was only in the lobby, but I can still make the following comments.
1. The hotel smelled horrible. It smelled like a cross between cat pee and mothballs.
2. Everything about that place is old, outdated, smelly, and not at all conducive for an enjoyable experience.

Room Tip: Do not stay at this hotel. Never. There are much better and nicely priced hotels in Steamboat Spring...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Warrensburg, Missouri
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

My friend and myself (both men) just needed a place to stay for the night that was cheap, looking to save a few dollars we asked about the prices for two beds vs one bed as it can be cheaper. The front desk attendant told us "Not for two guys, I don't do that here." I have never experienced this level of discrimination in my life. It was 9:00 at night and we had been driving most of the day, all we wanted was a place to sleep.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Granite
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

First motel in town as we were traveling through. Room was old but clean. Beds very saggy and uncomfortable. About 8:30 pm the light bulb went out in the bathroom and when we called the front desk for repair, the only response was "the light switch has a short sometimes", so we used bathroom in dark till checking out. Definitely would not stay here again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Italy
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

The room smelled horrible, the beds were saggy and uncomfortable, and the decor was 50 years old. It was a long 8 hours through the night. The only positive thing was the first hot shower in days. But keep driving and don't stop here.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

I went here at the end of feb 2013 on my way to jackson hole and was looking for something affordable for two days so i could ski steamboat. Let me just start by sying that the owner(guy with a foreign accent) was one of the ruddest hotel owners that i have ever met in my whole life of traveling(i've traveled a lot. All i did to upset him was walk in and ask if i could see a room before paying. He refused and would not even talk to me. I think its quite standard that one may want to see a room when looking at staying at a budget hotel. I had heard bad reviews so i just wanted to check.

For a much nicer option thats in a similare price range i would reccommend the alpiner Lodge which is also down town. The owner there is very friendly and the rooms are clean and a good value for the price.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

The rooms smell awful. The owner with the accent is an amazingly horrible, mean, and bigoted individual. he denied my disabled partner's entry into the room because he uses a service dog--we had papers-- and refused to return our deposit. We ended up having to call the cops to get our money back. Absolutely ridiculous.

• Stayed January 2013

Been to Western Lodge? Share your experiences!