“Clean, lovely RV park / campground on the outskirts of Steamboat Springs” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Steamboat Campground

Steamboat Campground
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Steamboat Springs
Steamboat Campground
You added Steamboat Campground to your Saves list
3603 Lincoln Avenue, Steamboat Springs, CO 80487   |
Boulder, Colorado
“Clean, lovely RV park / campground on the outskirts of Steamboat Springs”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2012

We recently had our 2nd visit at the Steamboat Campground; the first time for a few years and during a quiet week. We came mid-week, just after Memorial Day, so occupancy was low. We found the staff to be very helpful, the grounds to be clean and well maintained (grass all around the RV sites; a little less so for the campgrounds but they were back in a stand of trees. The (common) fire-ring for the RV sites was clean; the swimming pool appeared to be well-maintained. I'd read some previous reviews of the location and was very concerned about the bathrooms; they were not spectacular, but they were clean and very usable. I certainly didn't pick up on any mold issues or cleanliness issues while there. The bridge to the camping area showed wear but was still very usable. I liked the Yampa flowing right through the campground and got to do a bit of fishing.

I recommend the back-in RV sites as you get some privacy; using the pull-through sites are great for big RVs, but you wind up sharing your outside area with the RV next door. Also recommend you request sites removed from US Hwy 40 as the campground is located next to it.

The WIFI works great and mobile phone service is fine. It's a great spot!

Room Tip: find a site away from the highway. Choose the back-in RV sites if possible.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
denver
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2012

I've stayed at the Steamboat Campground on and off through the years and i will never return. The staff is nearly impossible to track down, the office is only opened for 2 hours a day and even then it may be locked, the buzzer to call the folks is out of order and it took 2 days to get a return on a phone inquiry. It's obvious the staff has little regard for the property or the folks who are paying to stay there. Plenty of other beautiful places to camp in near vicinity of town, i highly recommend seeking them out

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Kennewick, Washington
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2011

We tented it in Steamboat Campground. The front area of the campground is nicely presented for the RVs and cabins. There was a nice pool area. Then you drive over the bridge to the tent area. It was tent city. The road was awful. Flooding in the road was everywhere (it hadn't rained, there was a faucet leaking). There was only one bathroom for the entire tent area and many times it had a line. Each tent area was on a grassy area that was ample enough for even a large tent. The staff was very nice. The tent area just appeared to be in the back 40 and forgotten for any repairs. It is close to the highway and the sounds of traffic went on all night long.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Pagosa Springs, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2011

My husband and I stayed at a camper cabin in August during the bike race and again in September 2011. The camper cabin was exactly what you might expect, beds with plastic-covered mattresses, an electrical plug and porch swing. It was fine for what we needed at the time. The camper cabins front on the Yampa River and have fire pits and picnic tables. We enjoyed a glass of wine by the fire in the evening. The shower/bathroom facilities are just okay. You get a VERY small shower but they are usually pretty clean. Not a bad place to stay if you want to save a little money. There is a typical outdoor swimming pool but I didn't use it so I can't comment on that. Pets are allowed. THe smoke detector was chriping when we arrived and wtihin minutes of notifying the office, a young man was there changing the battery.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Denver, Colorado
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2011

I stayed at the Steamboat Campground on 8/1/11, and after doing so, I will not recommend it to anyone! After paying a premium of nearly $30 to pitch a tent, I found the place quite run down and in need of repairs and improvements. I also found out that the maintenance staff had decided to repair a leaking cold water pipe by turning off ALL of the cold water in the mens room sinks, leaving only scalding hot water available for washing and brushing teeth. I found out later that they never even mentioned this to park management. The showers were all very dirty, with what appeared to be mold growing in them, and some of them did not drain, leaving people standing in dirty water to dry off after taking a shower.

Upon realizing the above, I went to the office to complain to the 'acting manager' that I had paid a premium for a facility and services that I could not utilize to the extent that they were intended. She called the maintenance employee on the phone, at which time she first learned that the cold water had been turned off to all of the sinks in the mens room for some time. She told me that she was sorry for the inconvenience, but that I was welcome to brush my teeth in the laundry room sink. I told her that her offer was not acceptable, and that I would like a partial refund of my payment to the park. She told me that there would be no refunds AT ALL and her offer was the best that the park would do. I asked for the owner's name and phone number and she refused to furnish it. It was quite obvious to me that this 'manager' did not possess any customer service or management skills.

It is obvious that this campground employs unskilled, untrained office and maintenance employees that know nothing about what customer service is about. I will not be back and do not recommend this campground to anyone.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
Boulder, Colorado
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2011

A friend and I stayed at this campground from Sunday, June 5 to Tuesday, June 7. As of Monday evening, I was ready to give 4 out of 5 stars to this campground. I was impressed with the location, the amenities, and the price. As of Tuesday morning, my rating has dropped to 1 out of 5 stars for the campground's horrible customer service, hazard management, and problem solving. Here's our story.

We arrived on Sunday evening. We checked in at the front desk, where we were informed that we could either pay by the night ($27/night) or pay the whole sum up front. They don't give refunds, so we should be sure of our travel plans before paying the whole sum. We payed for our two nights, confident that we would wish to stay there the two nights as planned. We drove to our tent site, and immediately witnessed the bad flooding that had occurred in the campground. Over half of the tent sites across the river were underwater. Shrugging it off as an amusing act of nature that would give us some great photo opportunities, we found our tent site and made camp.

As the next two days proceeded, the flooding became worse, less of a joke and more of a nuisance. Trudging ankle-deep through icy water just to get to the showers and pool no longer seemed like an adventure. A couple of times when we were driving around the campsite, I got out to check the water level and make sure my friend's car could get through the puddles. At one point I realized that we were now the only people tent camping in the entire park. However, we noticed by Monday in the late afternoon, when we took the bus out for an evening in town, that the flooding had gotten a little better. We assumed the sun had dried some of the still water between the showers and bridge. We set off to enjoy our evening.

When we returned around 10 PM on Monday evening, the area between the showers and the bridge was now severely flooded. The water was calf-deep and moving swiftly. We were certain that my friend's car (a mid-sized sedan) could not get through the water. We tried to convince ourselves that it wouldn't be a problem. We had seen a pump working in one location at the campground--perhaps the employees would try to pump out the water, or the sun would dry up some of the water in the morning.

When we woke Tuesday morning, we immediately checked the water level. The water around the bridge was unchanged from the previous night. We were certain that we could not get the car through the water. We went to the office to discuss the problem with the receptionist.

The receptionist was polite enough, but completely clueless. Her first suggestion was to "just charge through the water." When we expressed concern that the car's engine would get flooded and we would get stuck, she replied that she knew some mechanics, and she could have them check the water and see if it would be okay to drive through. At this point I expressed my displeasure with the whole scenario. At no point did the office attempt to warn us about the flooding. Not when I called to make reservations (on June 1, when the flooding had certainly already started). Not when we checked in. Not during our stay (they had my cell phone number, and they could easily have left a note at our campsite). At no point did they attempt to apologize for the inconvenience of walking through ice-cold water. The receptionist replied, "Sorry, but it wasn't me (that didn't warn you), so it wasn't my fault." She also at one point told us that as of yesterday, she had heard that "There was no one in the tent sites but one guy." Ok...? Finally, I told her that I think the business should offer to pay for the cost of a tow truck to get our car through the foot-high water so we could get to the highway and leave the campground. She told us she would call her supervisor.

We waited for ten minutes. I overheard snippets of the conversation. She called a couple of people. She mentioned the date we checked in, and I heard her laugh quite a bit. I'm glad she was having a good time. Finally she came out and told us that the owner would not pay for our towing. "You should have known that the flooding would get worse. There's obviously a lot of snow still on the mountains. You can try calling the owner yourself, but he's not going to pay for it." At this point my friend and I were done with trying to get any help from the staff, so we left the office and called a tow truck.

About 15 minutes later, I got a call on my cell phone from the front office. It was the receptionist again. This time she offered to get one of her mechanic friends to tow us through the water. "He said if you turn off the engine it should be fine." Although I appreciate at least SOME attempt at solving the problem, this was clearly an inadequate solution. The water was deep enough to reach the doors and flood the inside of my friend's car. Even if the engine would be okay, what about the cost of water damage to the inside of the vehicle? I thanked her but told her we would stick with the tow company.

The tow came, loaded the car on the flatbed and got us across the water. The tow company charged $50.

Now I understand that flooding is an act of nature that could not be controlled by the campground. Listed below are things that ARE in control of the campground and could have been implemented to prevent, mitigate, or solve this problem:

1. Warning us when I made reservations, checked in, or during our stay (via a cell phone call, since they had my number, or a note on the tent) that the river was flowing at record high levels and the flooding would get worse (since it was SO OBVIOUS)
2. Offering to move us to one of the dry tent sites next to the highway
3. Upgrading us to a cabin next to the highway
4. Giving us a discount for the inconvenience of wading through snowmelt to shower
5. Paying for some or all of the towing expenses

But none of these options were considered, and my friend and I were left to pay $50 out of pocket for the pleasure of leaving the campground.

So if you don't mind taking a chance and hoping that your vacation goes smoothly without any problems, then sure, stay at this campground. But if you want adequate customer service, hazard management and problem solving, look elsewhere.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
Fort Worth, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2010

My family tent camped at Steamboat Campground and it was incredible! From a truly heated pool with a kiddie pool to two playgrounds, miniature golf and seated bicycles there was so much to do! As if that wasn't enough a complimentary bus ran three to four times an hour to take you into the main area of Steamboat if you didn't want to drive. Oh, and they have WiFi and a pin coded bathroom area!

While we did tent camp, the rushing river that ran through the campground was soothing, provided fun and great white noise to sleep by. The icing on the cake for travelers, though, would have to be their cabins. We didn't stay in them, but have put them on our list to return for winter and the skiing.

If you are in the neighborhood definately check out this jewel.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family

Been to Steamboat Campground? Share your experiences!