“Meh.....Nice hotel, but service is so-so” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Sheraton Steamboat Resort

You added Sheraton Steamboat Resort to your Saves list
Sheraton Steamboat Resort
4.5 of 5 Resort   |   2200 Village Inn Court, P.O. Box 774808, Steamboat Springs, CO 80477   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #7 of 22 Hotels in Steamboat Springs
Denver, Colorado
“Meh.....Nice hotel, but service is so-so”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2011

I'm a platinum preferred guest with Starwood and Diamond with Hilton - in short, I travel a lot and don't usually take the time to write a review unless the service was either terrible (almost never) or superlative. I'm pretty low-maintenance as it relates to business travel.

However, I felt compelled to write this simply because the short-comings of the check-in staff are so easily solved.

As I mentioned, I am a Platinum Preferred Guest with Starwood and am currently staying at the (at least) 1/2 empty Sheraton Steamboat. I'm staying in a "rack room". There is nothing special about this room - not even the view. Even though I am a platinum preferred guest and have stayed at this property at least 5-7 times in the past 2 years, I was asked "is this your first time at our property?". Furthermore, having stayed here several times before I am aware that there are MUCH nicer rooms than mine, yet I was not upgraded.

Were this a full hotel, I would fully understand. I don't expect an upgrade...especially when I check-in later than most guests (as I did last night). But, it's near empty.

Aside from the fact that Platinum benefits state that I'll be upgraded, it would have been an absolutely SIMPLE gesture of customer service to have said " Welcome back to Steamboat , Mr McCarthy. We appreciate your business. We've upgraded you to a mountain view room in recognition of your Platinum status."

I'm here for 1 night and am a "paying guest" (i.e. not staying on points). It would have cost absolutely nothing.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
SheratonSteamboat, Manager at Sheraton Steamboat Resort, responded to this review, January 8, 2011
Thank-you for taking the time to provide feedback from your most recent stay at the Sheraton Steamboat Resort, I would also like to take this time to thank-you for your loyalty to the Starwood brand and also for many repeat trips to our resort. Please accept our apologies as it seems as though we did provide you with the adequate recognition you certainly deserve. Please feel free in contacting me personally to provide assistance prior to your arrival to our property dan.kakabeeke@sheraton.com. We look forward to welcoming you back and using this experience as a training exercise for our management and associates.
Dan Kakabeeke

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2010

Went with family of four during the week of Christmas and had a great time. The place was super busy but the Sheraton staff was more than ready for the rush. No need to rent a car, the shuttle service was excellent. Can't beat the ski in- ski out part.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
Bonham, Texas, USA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2010

My wife and I stayed in the hotel for 4 nights in mid-December for a ski trip. The service was good, and I believe the hotel has been fairly recently upgraded. Our room was on the 8th floor; and we were pleased with the hotel appearance. We ate 1 meal at the bar (had Santa Fe Pizza) that we both enjoyed; and had the breakfast buffet in the full-service restaurant. 1 morning. Both meals were good. The convenience of this hotel is great, with a Resort ski rental shop accessible from the basement of the hotel. True ski-in, ski-out with the ability to store your skis each night. I appreciated the door tag that allowed you to opt out of maid service for a $5 voucher at a restaurant in the hotel; not so much for the $5; but rather for the energy conservation; and not needing new towels each day.
The only problem we had was the bed/mattress frame did not seem to be sturdy. When you rolled over, it seemed to move alot and be excessively noisy. Other than that detail, we enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
I am very sorry to hear about your less than satisfactory experience with our bed, with our recent renovation each room was outfitted with the Sheraton Sweet Sleeper Bed, it sound as though the bed you had experienced needs a little attention. I would like to connect with you personally so please email me at dan.kakabeeke@sheraton.com details regarding your stay so that I can look into. I would also like to thank-you for your feedback and glad to know that you appreciate the green initiatives at the Sheraton. We thank-you for your business and hope you will stay with us again soon.
Dan Kakabeeke
Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2010

I stayed here for a business conference in Nov. Upon arrival, the helpful staff upgraded us to a two- bedroom, two- story condo located on-site. It was amazing and beautiful! Throughout my stay, the staff was very helpful and efficient. The only down side was it was off-season and the nearby restaurants and shops wont open- but thats another reason to go into the wonderful downtown area. Best of all, upon my departure, Sheraton contacted me that I had left my computer cord in the room. They sent it to me without delay. That type of service was wonderful!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
Evergreen, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2010

My stay in the Sheraton Steamboat Springs was definetley nice for a Sheraton and overall a good experience.

On first entrance the lobby seems very large as it actually is this is actually quite a nice feature. To left of the check-in counter there is a great game room. The three bedroom villa I stayed in was great and very handy. Nice location right next to the lift too. The Link@Sheraton area wa superb and very handy with a printer.

Overall nice stay probably would stay again and very nice staff as well.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
Colorado Springs, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2010

My husband and I, with our teen-aged son and daughter, stayed in the Sheraton Steamboat Springs Resort 3-bedroom Villa--Valley Side. We found the 1,762-square-foot villa very roomy and beautiful. It allowed us to spread out and it’s easy to see how eight people could share these accommodations. Each floor of the hotel has only three villas. The villa’s floor plan worked in such a way that no bedrooms shared a wall, this made it quiet. We used our kitchen facilities for most of our meals. The resort was close to shops and restaurants, but the village of Steamboat Springs almost appeared to be “closed until ski season” -- there wasn’t much open. We played mini golf (at a discounted price because the course was unmaintained), used the hotel pool and hot tubs, shopped on Main Street, visited the Old Town Hot Springs and took advantage of the free hotel Rec Room (called Play) to play pool, foosball and shuffleboard. At the hotel, we only saw less than 10 other guests for our entire stay. This isn’t bad if you’re looking for a place to “get away”.

Low Points…

Charging for underground parking (especially during the off season) is a rip off.

In room Wi-Fi was free (as it should be) but the log-in page made it looked like it would bill your room. The “Link” computer lounge in the lobby needs some IT help to get the computers working properly again.

The televisions didn’t appear to be HD, the in-house announcement channel had multiple typos and the remote made it frustrating to watch TV – resetting to the hotel channel, lag time between channels, extremely varying volume levels from one channel to another.

Pros: beautiful and roomy accommodations
Cons: not many businesses open during the off season

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2010

The Sheraton is a nice hotel and VERY convenient to the gondoal/lifts and ski school. The staff is very nice and the rooms are pretty fresh. They are small. Our family of four got connecting rooms and it worked great.

I did not like Steamboat for my beginner ski children. The green runs seemed to be mostly catwalks and it was hard to ski with them at the end of ski lessons. I like Beaver Creek MUCH better for beginners. The Sheraton was nice though.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family

Been to Sheraton Steamboat Resort? Share your experiences!