“What a Great Place - Almost Heaven” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sheraton Steamboat Resort

Save Saved
You added Sheraton Steamboat Resort to your Saves list
Sheraton Steamboat Resort
4.5 of 5 Resort   |   2200 Village Inn Court, P.O. Box 774808, Steamboat Springs, CO 80477   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #6 of 22 hotels in Steamboat Springs
Lawrenceville, Georgia
“What a Great Place - Almost Heaven”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

From the moment we arrived at the Sheraton, My family and I were treated like royality. The front desk guy (Robbie) was outstanding all week long as was all the other staff. The rooms were clean, ski in - ski out operation was just so cool and the lobby was my "secret watching and drinking" spot. Everyone in our party was so happy with this hotel that we are coming back in early March. The restaurants were all so good we never had to leave the hotel.

Room Tip: All rooms are good

327 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

My girls and I just returned from a mini-trip to the Sheraton Steamboat Springs. I was there on business but my husband was on a trip as well so I brought my girls with me. They had looked forward to the hot tub being opened and were at first a little disappointed to find that they were under renovation (due to be completed soon). However, Rachel, the front desk manager, surprised us with a thoughtful upgrade that made the stay even more comfortable than it would have been. Amazingly, the outdoor "heated" pool was exactly that - it was heated to very comfortable 98 deg. F and the girls never missed the hot tub.

There was a game room where you could either stay and play pool or take Yahtzee and Scrabble back to the room, the hotel, grand as it was, felt much more like a cozy Vermont inn.

With a staff as gracious as the surroundings, we'll definitely come again.

Room Tip: The higher the floor, the better the view. Pay to upgrade to a suite - you'll never find better...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

My family of three stayed at this very convenient location for five nights and loved being able to ski almost up to the door of the ski valet service and drop off our equipment before heading up to the room. The hotel is located at the base of the Christie express lift or steps away from the gondola. Ski school for kids meeting area in front as well.

Yes, the hot tubs were out of commission-looks like the entire area was undergoing a renovation and it is a shame that the construction was not completed before the winter ski season. Pool was heated to 98 degrees and too bad management could not (or would not??)turn up temperature just a bit hotter-would have been perfect solution to hot tubs being out of commission.

Check in and check out service was prompt and friendly. Bell hop very helpful with restaurant recommendations and shuttle service to downtown, restaurants, etc. was super efficient with friendly drivers each evening. Maid service very efficient-room cleaned and made up as soon as we left every day to ski. New towels and plenty of toiletries, coffee always provided.

Kids enjoyed game room and chess boards while adults relaxed in the lounge. Plenty of alternate choices for breakfast, lunch and dinner. The Lift and Joe's Gondola good places for coffee, pastries, breakfast sandwiches if you do not want to eat at Sevens restaurant. We would stay again for the location-can't beat it!!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Andrea H, Guest Experience Team at Sheraton Steamboat Resort, responded to this review, February 5, 2013
Dear guest,
Thank you for sharing your feedback on your recent stay. We greatly value hearing from our guests about their experience and are glad to hear that you were impressed with our service. We do apologize for the inconvenience of the hot tubs being out of order, however it delights us to know that the remainder of your family's stay was enjoyable.
Please do not hesitate to contact us if there is anything we can assist you with as you book your next visit to Steamboat.
We look forward to welcoming you back as a special guest very soon.
Windermere, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

We booked the resort after hearing about it from some friends and were thoroughly impressed with the resort and the service. We stayed in a 3 bedroom with another family and there was plenty of room for all with comfort to add. I take 2 to 3 ski trips a year and have to say that this ranks up there with some of the best ski resorts that we have stayed in. We like to splurge on ski trips and this place was incredible value for our money. True ski in ski out, and a good restaurant to boot.

Room Tip: The whirlpool on the roof top is a must!
Englewood, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I searched for a nice, dog friendly hotel close to the mountain and came across the Sheraton in Steamboat Springs via Expedia. It did not appear to be the typical dog friendly hotel but we were happy to find that it was......until we got there. The hotel is beautiful despite being under rehab construction. Our room was clean and the service we found to be superb. The only issue we had with the hotel is if you advertise dog friendly there should be direct access rooms leading to the exterior. We were on the second floor, had to take the elevator down to the lobby, get through the lobby, walk past the hotel entrance and down a 200+ yard sidewalk to get to the pet area which was not maintained. Although I sincerely believe ALL PET OWNERS SHOULD CLEAN UP AFTER THEIR OWN PET, the area was grossly soiled with very little attempt to clean up not only by the pet owners but by the hotel staff. Credit to the hotel, there were dog stations around with stocked bags and emptied trash cans but unfortunately, irresponsible pet owners chose not to use them. We will not be returning to this hotel unless our dog stays at home.

• Stayed January 2013
Buderim, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

I agree with all of the comments provided by y2kfred and also add the following - noisy plumbing; inconsistent hot water (always good at a ski resort); morning newspaper delivery only came sparodically during the week; air conditioning was noisy. The shuttle guys were sensational however and provided us with the type of service one would expect from an SPG property.
Sat in the lounge and had some wine one day and when attempting to settle the account found that it had already been closed and too make matters worse additional beverages were charged to our account along with a standard gratuity. I dont mind paying gratuities-for service-however there was none and we didnt move our location all afternoon. I think this property is lucky to have some ex-staff to call on - she was awesome - and now works at another establishment on the hill - unfortunately.
This hotel is dated, old and unfortunately in the best location on the hill, however the hotel systems and infrastructure are not up to it anymore (hot tubs out of action - we were advised that they would be online early in the week - they were still out of action when we left.
All in all we would go back to Steamboat again but I will reassess my accommodation.

Room Tip: Good luck getting a good room
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Andrea H, Sheraton Steamboat Guest Experience Team at Sheraton Steamboat Resort, responded to this review, January 28, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share feedback on your recent experience with us. We greatly appreciate hearing from our guests and take all comments very seriously towards highlighting areas of improvement and management awareness on the current level service to our guests.

On behalf of The Sheraton Steamboat, I sincerely apologize for the frustrations that you experienced with your guest room plumbing, newspaper delivery, the errors with your account from your time in our lounge and your overall impression of our Resort. While our hot tubs being out of order was an unexpected problem for us, it was unfortunate that it impacted the entire length of your stay and we again apologize for the inconvenience.
Please be assured that your email has been shared with the appropriate parties and executive management who will explore your experience further. All things considered, we hope that we might have a chance to make it up to you during your next trip to Steamboat and we can welcome back to the Sheraton as a special guest.

If there is anything else that we can do for you or to speak directly with the resort manager on your recent stay with us, please contact us at (970) 871-6511. Thank you again for your feedback which assists us in ongoing efforts to improve our service.
Dallas, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Let me say first that I agree with many of the other reviewers. It's a beautiful hotel in a prime location. You literally walk out to the gondola/ski lifts. However, I'm a business traveller with over 100+ nights with Starwood (Sheraton's parent company) last year. This is the WORST SPG property I've ever stayed at. In a word: service. As in, there was none.

When I checked in, I understand not getting upgraded to a suite but they wouldn't even give me a room with a mountain view. I saw a couple of (what I thought were) mountain view rooms across the hallway that were empty the next morning. The service in the Sevens restaurant was quite surly. We went there for breakfast daily for my SPG Platinum breakfast beenfit. One night I had the most frustrating experience at the Saddles restaurant. We waited 15 minutes to even be greeted and the only reason we were greeted is because I walked over to the bar and bartender sent someone over. Then our server kept disappearing so we couldn't get our full order in. After she dropped off dessert (which was still frozen!), she disappeared for another 20 so we left some cash and walked out. The worst part was the restaurant was only at half capacity. My husband spoke to the front desk clerk about it. I believe the restaurant manager called him and offered a free dessert but didn't even apologize. Halfway through the trip, I emailed my SPG ambassador about my disappointment. She contacted the hotel manager who apologized and offered to buy me breakfast the rest of the days I was there. It was a nice gesture but I was already getting a free continental breakfast as part of my Platinum benefit. He also said that they don't have mountain view rooms... (Who would build a hotel at the base of a mountain and not face the building towards the mountain?!)

Usually, I would give a hotel 3 stars after the manager apologized and tried to make things right. However, the service mishaps kept going. We found moldy berries on the breakfast buffet the next morning. The staff took their time taking the bowl off of the buffet while families with kids were getting food. The service at the restaurants continued to be awful. One night, the hotel shuttle left us stranded in downtown for 1.5 hours. When we called to inquire, they claimed we hadn't called to be picked up! Plus, the hotel manager didn't check back with me once to see how the rest of my stay was.

In summary:

The Good
- Prime location on mountain
- Friendly valet and shuttle staff
- Standard Sheraton rooms

The Bad
- Hotel shuttle left us stranded for 1.5 hours one evening
- Apathetic check in staff
- Hot tubs closed for renovation
- Pool was supposed to be 98 degrees but was closer to 80

The Ugly
- Surly and inattentive service in the restaurants
- Moldy food on breakfast buffet
- No Platinum upgrade
- Food is expensive (about $15 minimum per item which is more expensive than some Westin resorts I've stayed at)

Other things you might want to know (for all you SPG-ers)
- The Platinum breakfast amenity is a true Continental breakfast; upgrading to hot food (eggs, etc. is $8)
- This hotel participates in Green Choice
- If you're Platinum, ask them to waive the resort fee. Half of what's covered is part of your Platinum benefits already
- I don't understand how a property like this is a Category 5?!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing with us what you experienced during your recent stay. We take all guest communication very seriously and truly value receiving such feedback so we may improve upon our level of service that we provide to our guests.

On behalf of The Sheraton Steamboat, I apologize for the frustrations that you experienced with our breakfast buffet, staff service and others situations during your stay. Since you did speak with our resort manager and receive the upgraded breakfast for the remainder of your stay as well as the New Year’s brunch, we hope that our attempts to recover your unfortunate dining experience were somewhat noticed. We also apologize that you feel you weren’t contacted as the manager did leave a voicemail on your guest room phone to follow up with you during your stay.

Regardless of our attempts, we would welcome the opportunity to make this experience up to you and speak to you further if you so wish. Please contact us at (970) 871-6511 so that our manager can further discuss your situation and assist you planning a future stay with us so that we can welcome you back as a special guest of the Sheraton Steamboat. Thank you again for your feedback, and we hope to see you back on the mountain very soon.

Been to Sheraton Steamboat Resort? Share your experiences!