“Awesome SKI RESORT” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sheraton Steamboat Resort

Save Saved
You added Sheraton Steamboat Resort to your Saves list
Sheraton Steamboat Resort
4.5 of 5 Resort   |   2200 Village Inn Court, P.O. Box 774808, Steamboat Springs, CO 80477   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #7 of 22 Hotels in Steamboat Springs
Windermere, Florida
“Awesome SKI RESORT”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

We booked the resort after hearing about it from some friends and were thoroughly impressed with the resort and the service. We stayed in a 3 bedroom with another family and there was plenty of room for all with comfort to add. I take 2 to 3 ski trips a year and have to say that this ranks up there with some of the best ski resorts that we have stayed in. We like to splurge on ski trips and this place was incredible value for our money. True ski in ski out, and a good restaurant to boot.

Room Tip: The whirlpool on the roof top is a must!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
Millbrae, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I searched for a nice, dog friendly hotel close to the mountain and came across the Sheraton in Steamboat Springs via Expedia. It did not appear to be the typical dog friendly hotel but we were happy to find that it was......until we got there. The hotel is beautiful despite being under rehab construction. Our room was clean and the service we found to be superb. The only issue we had with the hotel is if you advertise dog friendly there should be direct access rooms leading to the exterior. We were on the second floor, had to take the elevator down to the lobby, get through the lobby, walk past the hotel entrance and down a 200+ yard sidewalk to get to the pet area which was not maintained. Although I sincerely believe ALL PET OWNERS SHOULD CLEAN UP AFTER THEIR OWN PET, the area was grossly soiled with very little attempt to clean up not only by the pet owners but by the hotel staff. Credit to the hotel, there were dog stations around with stocked bags and emptied trash cans but unfortunately, irresponsible pet owners chose not to use them. We will not be returning to this hotel unless our dog stays at home.

• Stayed January 2013
Buderim, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

I agree with all of the comments provided by y2kfred and also add the following - noisy plumbing; inconsistent hot water (always good at a ski resort); morning newspaper delivery only came sparodically during the week; air conditioning was noisy. The shuttle guys were sensational however and provided us with the type of service one would expect from an SPG property.
Sat in the lounge and had some wine one day and when attempting to settle the account found that it had already been closed and too make matters worse additional beverages were charged to our account along with a standard gratuity. I dont mind paying gratuities-for service-however there was none and we didnt move our location all afternoon. I think this property is lucky to have some ex-staff to call on - she was awesome - and now works at another establishment on the hill - unfortunately.
This hotel is dated, old and unfortunately in the best location on the hill, however the hotel systems and infrastructure are not up to it anymore (hot tubs out of action - we were advised that they would be online early in the week - they were still out of action when we left.
All in all we would go back to Steamboat again but I will reassess my accommodation.

Room Tip: Good luck getting a good room
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Andrea H, Sheraton Steamboat Guest Experience Team at Sheraton Steamboat Resort, responded to this review, January 28, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share feedback on your recent experience with us. We greatly appreciate hearing from our guests and take all comments very seriously towards highlighting areas of improvement and management awareness on the current level service to our guests.

On behalf of The Sheraton Steamboat, I sincerely apologize for the frustrations that you experienced with your guest room plumbing, newspaper delivery, the errors with your account from your time in our lounge and your overall impression of our Resort. While our hot tubs being out of order was an unexpected problem for us, it was unfortunate that it impacted the entire length of your stay and we again apologize for the inconvenience.
Please be assured that your email has been shared with the appropriate parties and executive management who will explore your experience further. All things considered, we hope that we might have a chance to make it up to you during your next trip to Steamboat and we can welcome back to the Sheraton as a special guest.

If there is anything else that we can do for you or to speak directly with the resort manager on your recent stay with us, please contact us at (970) 871-6511. Thank you again for your feedback which assists us in ongoing efforts to improve our service.
Dallas, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Let me say first that I agree with many of the other reviewers. It's a beautiful hotel in a prime location. You literally walk out to the gondola/ski lifts. However, I'm a business traveller with over 100+ nights with Starwood (Sheraton's parent company) last year. This is the WORST SPG property I've ever stayed at. In a word: service. As in, there was none.

When I checked in, I understand not getting upgraded to a suite but they wouldn't even give me a room with a mountain view. I saw a couple of (what I thought were) mountain view rooms across the hallway that were empty the next morning. The service in the Sevens restaurant was quite surly. We went there for breakfast daily for my SPG Platinum breakfast beenfit. One night I had the most frustrating experience at the Saddles restaurant. We waited 15 minutes to even be greeted and the only reason we were greeted is because I walked over to the bar and bartender sent someone over. Then our server kept disappearing so we couldn't get our full order in. After she dropped off dessert (which was still frozen!), she disappeared for another 20 so we left some cash and walked out. The worst part was the restaurant was only at half capacity. My husband spoke to the front desk clerk about it. I believe the restaurant manager called him and offered a free dessert but didn't even apologize. Halfway through the trip, I emailed my SPG ambassador about my disappointment. She contacted the hotel manager who apologized and offered to buy me breakfast the rest of the days I was there. It was a nice gesture but I was already getting a free continental breakfast as part of my Platinum benefit. He also said that they don't have mountain view rooms... (Who would build a hotel at the base of a mountain and not face the building towards the mountain?!)

Usually, I would give a hotel 3 stars after the manager apologized and tried to make things right. However, the service mishaps kept going. We found moldy berries on the breakfast buffet the next morning. The staff took their time taking the bowl off of the buffet while families with kids were getting food. The service at the restaurants continued to be awful. One night, the hotel shuttle left us stranded in downtown for 1.5 hours. When we called to inquire, they claimed we hadn't called to be picked up! Plus, the hotel manager didn't check back with me once to see how the rest of my stay was.

In summary:

The Good
- Prime location on mountain
- Friendly valet and shuttle staff
- Standard Sheraton rooms

The Bad
- Hotel shuttle left us stranded for 1.5 hours one evening
- Apathetic check in staff
- Hot tubs closed for renovation
- Pool was supposed to be 98 degrees but was closer to 80

The Ugly
- Surly and inattentive service in the restaurants
- Moldy food on breakfast buffet
- No Platinum upgrade
- Food is expensive (about $15 minimum per item which is more expensive than some Westin resorts I've stayed at)

Other things you might want to know (for all you SPG-ers)
- The Platinum breakfast amenity is a true Continental breakfast; upgrading to hot food (eggs, etc. is $8)
- This hotel participates in Green Choice
- If you're Platinum, ask them to waive the resort fee. Half of what's covered is part of your Platinum benefits already
- I don't understand how a property like this is a Category 5?!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing with us what you experienced during your recent stay. We take all guest communication very seriously and truly value receiving such feedback so we may improve upon our level of service that we provide to our guests.

On behalf of The Sheraton Steamboat, I apologize for the frustrations that you experienced with our breakfast buffet, staff service and others situations during your stay. Since you did speak with our resort manager and receive the upgraded breakfast for the remainder of your stay as well as the New Year’s brunch, we hope that our attempts to recover your unfortunate dining experience were somewhat noticed. We also apologize that you feel you weren’t contacted as the manager did leave a voicemail on your guest room phone to follow up with you during your stay.

Regardless of our attempts, we would welcome the opportunity to make this experience up to you and speak to you further if you so wish. Please contact us at (970) 871-6511 so that our manager can further discuss your situation and assist you planning a future stay with us so that we can welcome you back as a special guest of the Sheraton Steamboat. Thank you again for your feedback, and we hope to see you back on the mountain very soon.
Davie, Florida, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

Ths is my first time in Steamboat Spirngs. I could have stayed in an upscale condo on the slopes but chose to stay at the Sharaton because of the prime location at the base of the ski runs. I have stayed in other ski-in/ski-out resorts at the base of the ski runs including the Arrabelle in Vail and Park Hyatt in Beaver Creek, and was expecting something similar. It did not meet the standards that I was expecting. The hotel and common areas are older and a bit dated. The hot tubs were not working and undergoing renovations....during ski season! This was a major disappointment, and turning up the heat on the dated swimming pool to 98 degrees just did not cut it. The positives - rooms very comfortable and updated, dream beds, location to everything was great, staff was superb. The negatives - non-working hot tubs, dated pool area, no spa (they did have a massage company outside and the massage was quite good). It felt like a convention hotel when I was expecting more of a resort-type hotel. Not terrible, just expected a little bit nicer and more activities in and about the resort area. Maybe it has more to do with the Steamboat Springs area which is nothing like Vail, Aspen or Beaver Creek.

Room Tip: Make sure you are an SPG Guest member or sign up before you go. You get some better perks and bette...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Andrea H, Guest Experience Team at Sheraton Steamboat Resort, responded to this review, February 5, 2013
Dear Guest,
On behalf of the Sheraton Steamboat Resort, thank you for sharing your feedback on your recent experience with us. I deeply apologize for the frustrations that you experienced with the hot tubs, pool, and your overall impression of our hotel. We do strive to provide only the best experience for every guest and make improvements wherever possible. We greatly value hearing your comments, and your feedback has been shared executive management.
We hope that you will consider staying with us again and let us make this experience up to you. Please contact us at (970) 871-6511 if we can assist you with your next visit to Steamboat and ensure you have a more rewarding experience.
Thank you again, and we hope to see you back on the mountain very soon.
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

The Sheraton Steamboat is a fantastic facility. Super convenient to everything at the base. True ski in/ski out (right next to the gondola) and the rental facility on the lower level is top notch. Food and drinks/wine were affordable and tasty. Nightly entertainment in the Saddles Bar was a treat. Great music and lots of fun. Also, just a few steps from great apres ski at the Bear River Grill/Bar. Our room was spacious and well kept. Overall an excellent stay. We'll be back!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Austin, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

Our family, two adults and two teenage daughters, stayed at the Sheraton Steamboat for 5 nights during the Christmas holidays. Isn't Christmas time one of the most popular times to o skiing? Well, you would think that the hotel would have been prepared for Christmas guests and had the hot tubs working and the bathrooms on the lobby floor working as well. Both of them were out of service for our entire stay! The hotel room was average with a smaller, outdated bathroom. The maid service skipped cleaning our room one day, even though we requested it to be cleaned directly to the cleaning attendant on our floor. Having coin operated washers and dryers on the floor was nice, and we used them once during our stay. The hotel breakfast buffet was overpriced. The set up of Grab and go breakfast tacos and coffee in the lobby was a much more affordable option, and tasted better. You can't beat the location of his hotel though, right in front of the mountain and ski storage on the bottom level. Also, the bell men were very nice and courteous. ....always making sure we were able to take the complimentary shuttle service into and around town.

Room Tip: Try to get a mounting view room if possible.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Andrea H, Sheraton Steamboat Guest Experience Team at Sheraton Steamboat Resort, responded to this review, January 22, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share detailed comments on your recent stay with us. We take all guest communication very seriously and greatly appreciate receiving feedback such as yours so that areas of improvement can be highlighted for us and we can provide even better service to our guests.

On behalf of The Sheraton Steamboat, I sincerely apologize for the frustrations that you experienced with the hot tubs and lobby bathrooms being out of service. Although these were unexpected issues that we were faced with, it was very unfortunate that it impacted the entire length of your stay. Please be assured that your email has been shared with the appropriate parties and executive management who will explore your experience further to improve on our level of service that we promise to deliver to our guests.

Despite the aforementioned situations, we are delighted to hear that you appreciated the laundry facilities, grab and go breakfast, our convenient location and courteous bell staff. All things considered, we hope that you will return and stay with us again so that we can welcome back to the Sheraton Steamboat as a special guest.

Thank you again for your feedback which assists us in ongoing efforts to improve our service. If there is anything else that we can do for you prior to your next visit, please contact us at (970)871-6511.

Been to Sheraton Steamboat Resort? Share your experiences!