“I stay here every year.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Cottonwood Cove

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in South Fork
Cottonwood Cove
You added Cottonwood Cove to your Saves list
13046 Highway 149, South Fork, CO 81154   |
Oklahoma
“I stay here every year.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013 via mobile

I have stayed here the last two years and I have a reservation for this August. Yes the cabins are circa 1947. The tilt and creek. The floors can be slanted and we love it.

The setting is on the rio grande river in among the pines. The cabins are clean and comfortable. We can bring our dog. The setting is rustic and dramatic.

The rooms comes with breakfast. The dinning room also does dinner and is very popular.

• Stayed August 2012

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Buena Vista, CO
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012

There isn't very much to pick from in this upper Rio Grande valley. It's just not a year round location so understandably hard to keep going. But this place was a JOKE! We paid $120 for a "rustic cabin" where the entire floor tilted south. The bathroom sink tilted east enough that the soap kept sliding off. Half the walls were actually painted over exterior-grade chipboard. The windows didn't open in either the kitchen or living room, so that when we cooked, it was too hot to eat indoors. The "fully furnish kitchen" had 2 glasses, 3 bowls and 3 spoons, so when friends came over for dinner we had to go beg from the desk. Wi-fi was useless, very weak signal and mostly offline. No electric outlets. If you wanted to charge your phone or make coffee, you had to disconnect the microwave. We went to the free breakfast in the dining hall only to find the kind of tasteless per-fab eggs and oatmeal served in Motel-6. And they were out of everything anyway except one leftover biscuit.

The sad fact is, with no real competition they just didn't care about the buildings or the service.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Berthoud, Colorado
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

My email to them:
Stayed in the RV area. Never been to a campground that did not have cable TV. Why don't you tell us in the web. When complained to your managers I was summarily dismissed. RUDE. You claim to have WiFi. That is basically a lie. Your employees claim it is "slow" that is a lie. If you can ever get an internet page to show up, it is reason to celebrate - May have happened 2x in 5 days. Spent hours trying to just check email. I was going to live without cell service since I was going to have WiFi to keep in contact with clients and family. I was misled and feel that is quite unethical. We will never stay there again. And I will let everyone I know about this situation. I did not think the food in your restaurant was prepared well unless one likes overcooked, dried out chicken. Servers were great though. Claude in the RV section was great.

Room Tip: Stayed in RV section
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Ozark, Arkansas, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2012

#24 cabin was clean and roomy. We couldn't open windows to get the nice mountain air. It sat next to the highway and for parents with small children, inconvenient. The "management" was very rude and argumentative when asked for drinks for our catered meal, even though we would pay for the "extra".

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
New Castle
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2012

I chose this place because accommodations in Creede were full due to filming "Lone Ranger" (no, didn't get a chance to see Johnny Depp unfortunately). Price seemed high but it included a full breakfast buffet, which was good if you liked meat and biscuits and gravy. They did have an omelette with American cheese. No fruit or bread. Servers were very friendly as were managers/owners which differs from other reviews. The cabins are what you would expect of being built in the 1940's probably, but clean. Very small bathroom. Don't go if you have allergies because the cottonwood trees (hence the name) were going pretty strong.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2012

I agree with the other reviewers who found these folks argumentative and unpleasant. I reserved a cabin in early June for a late August stay, leaving a credit card number for the deposit. I called back half an hour after reserving to say I'd made a mistake and asking to cancel. I was told this would have to go through the owner, Bob, who wasn't there. When I finally tracked Bob down, he refused to refund my money, arguing (absurdly) that someone could have called during the half-hour interim, asked to rent that cabin nearly three months later, and been turned away on my account. He kept repeating that the deposit was nonrefundable, as if that was the end of the story--he really seemed to have no interest in what the friendly, reasonable, or upright thing would be to do, and to care only about what he was allowed to do--keep my money once he had gotten hold of it. Then he hung up on me. Wish I'd read tripadvisor and seen that he did the same thing to other people.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Waterloo, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2012

Can't comment on the lodging facilities because we just ate at their restaurant. We were on our way back from a visit to Creede and we were hungry. We saw a beautiful looking area coming down the mountain and the Cottonwood Cove restaurant. It was pleasant inside and our waitress was helpful and nice. My wife liked her food and my chili was excellent. You can also walk through a door to a gift shop after you eat. Typical tourist items but they had a lot of variety of products and it was fun to check it out. To me the restaurant was good and if we are ever in the area again I wouldn't hesitate to stop.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Cottonwood Cove? Share your experiences!