“Disappointed” 1 of 5 stars

Book Early and Save
Ranked #12 of 16 Hotels in Snowmass Village
“Disappointed”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

My wife, I and our 2 children stayed at the Wildwood Snowmass on Aug. 4, 2014. It was a Monday in the off season. We had planned to stay longer, but our room and the hotel staff were less than accommodating. We researched this hotel and were excited about the new renovated contemporary look of the rooms. Our room felt like it was right out of 1970 and not in a good way. The pictures on the web are VERY deceiving. The bathroom was dirty and was not renovated. There were stains in the bath tub. The room/bathroom maybe had been recently painted, but over several coats old paint. High gloss paint doesn't make old things feel new. It smelled very musty and had no air conditioning. We are from Colorado, so we understand A/C is not needed in the summer, but just outside our window at 6 am was a delivery truck with engine running and exhaust coming in. It was the type of hotel where you question wether the sheets are clean and you wouldn't want to walk on the carpet with bare feet. I took pictures of what our room actually looked like and it was NOT like the pictures on their website. We had no view of the mountain. The hotel was practically empty during our stay, so there was a lot of other rooms available but we were not given another. We got this room for a great price considering it was the off season and a Monday, but it was not worth the price. We would not stay here again.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Louisville, Colorado, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2014

This hotel was a major disappointment. Door didn't lock properly. Had to request washcloths every single day and they were only delivered on one day the maid staff brought hand towels instead all the other times. This was not a case of not understanding our request we talked to the front desk each time. Bathtub was dirty upon check in. Door opened onto kitchen vent from the Omni so we were very aware of what was being served for breakfast. Don't stay at this hotel.

Room Tip: Get a room that has a functioning door lock away from the kitchen vent for the other hotel nearby.
  • Stayed September 2014, traveled on business
Snowmass Village, Colorado
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2014

I was scheduled for a conference at this hotel this week. We arrived on Sunday at about 4pm, were notified rooms were not available, and they would call us when they were. At 8pm myself and several others still had no room, so we went to the front desk where we were finally given keys. My room was gross. There was brown rings around the drain in the tub, brown marks all over it, and there was soaking wet disgusting towels left in the bathroom, and the TV remote did not work. I was expecting a modern retro theme, with some sort of elegance. The room was poorly lit, and only looked half way done. The floors were gross, with dust and grime built up in every corner. I asked early Monday for the towels to at least be removed from my bathroom, it was never done. Tuesday there was no one available in the lobby, and a sign was left to go to Westin for any assistance. I tried, none was received. He told me I had the "water conservancy" plan and looked at me like I was stupid. There is also no air conditioning, which means you have to leave your window open. Tolerable, but be prepared to listen to traffic. My first night here there was a ton of screaming in the parking lot, doors slamming, people stomping past, etc. Myself and the other members there for the conference did receive an apology letter for the delay on Monday, but the condition of the hotel room and the lack of service was the most frustrating. I will not be recommending this hotel to anyone. Thoroughly disappointed in the results of this week. My expectations were much higher for this hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a balcony room at least, so people can't look through your open window. Most views seem...
  • Stayed September 2014, traveled on business
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2014

Lots of negative reviews. I'll comment on our experience. I booked through SPG for a few nights between camping with wife and 3 kids. Mainly looking for a place to shower and sleep for a couple of nights. I have SPG Gold (who doesn't- not that prestigious) so we were bumped up to a suite (Scandinavian).

Great suite- hide a bed, King bed. Semi private balcony overlooking snowmass mall. Free guest laundry (bring your own soap). We paid $110/night, then upgraded to the suite. The regular rooms looked dark and somewhat small. But for what we needed and what we paid- feel that it was very worth it.

The desk was closed, so we had the westin check in (easy). Nice pool area as well.

All in all a good place to hang your hat for a couple of days- not westin level but 1/2 the price.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Elisabeth J, General Manager at Wildwood Snowmass, responded to this review, August 21, 2014
Dear GregH
Thanks for taking the time to share your five-star comments about your recent stay with us at Wildwood Snowmass. We always appreciate feedback from our loyal Starwood Preferred Guests. The Wildwood is definitely a different experience from The Westin, and as you highlighted, it’s perfect for a casual vacation getaway. Thanks for making us a part of your family’s summer vacation. Look forward to seeing you all again soon. Best, Elisabeth James, General Manager
Chicago, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2014

The images you see on their site of the wonderful rooms are all lies. The hotel was so called renovated in a trendy, retro style, but arriving to my room it look half complete. The walls looked half painted and the bathroom had a hole in the ceiling where a light was suppose to be. The room was unacceptable, so my boyfriend complained and we where switched to a different room which was no better. Still the walls looked half painted with gross "bug" goo on the walls. The weather was nice and cool which was good as there's NO AC, just a desk fan in the closet.

What a disappointing experience at the Wildwood, I never want to go back to that place again, and I advise that no one go there.

Room Tip: If you book a room at this place via Hotwire, etc...be mindful of the "resort fee" they do...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Elisabeth J, General Manager at Wildwood Snowmass, responded to this review, August 18, 2014
Dear TLR322
Thanks for sharing your feedback about your recent stay at the Wildwood Snowmass. I apologize that you were checked into a room that obviously should have been out of order for repairs and maintenance, and that your second room was not spotlessly prepared for you. I have shared your comments with our front desk and maintenance teams so we may improve our performance going forward. As you noted, the Wildwood does not have air-conditioning but we do provide fans in every room for guest use. I am sorry that you were disappointed in your stay. On you next visit you may prefer to stay with us at The Westin Snowmass which provides a full-service hotel experience vs. the retro-lodge style of the Wildwood. Please let me know if we may assist you with future booking arrangements. Best, Elisabeth James, General Manager
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2014

This hotel has been renovated in a trendy way and shows real promise; however, management was poor. First, my friends (who had a different room reserved) and I checked in at 5pm and were told-- with little empathy-- "we're sorry but your rooms are not available." We sat and waited for an hour while guest after guest received the same news. People who seemed the most upset received free drinks but it wasn't offered immediately and given that some people had been trying to check in since 2pm, that offer seemed insufficient relative to the situation. Hotel staff wasn't even apologetic about this and didn't acknowledged how ridiculous it was. When we finally left for a late dinner, there were still guests in the lobby waiting for their rooms-- and it was 7:30pm! To make matters worse, most of us were coming from an all-night relay race and were exhausted.

Second, when I said I would compromise and take a lower quality room to get checked in faster, I was given a room on the 4th floor and not warned that it was inaccessible by elevator. Having run 33 miles the prior day, I could not physically carry my gear up these stairs. They did not have a porter on site so it was fortunate a friend of mine offered to help me.
Lastly, mountain hotels without air-conditioning usually come with fans in rooms and blinds etc. that allow air to circulate. My room did not have the breathable privacy blinds I saw in other rooms and instead had heavy curtains. I ended up safety-pinning a sheet to the screen so I could let in air while blocking out light and prying eyes (windows face walkways). I had to call and wait for a fan, too. Other small things worth mentioning: you're given soap but that's about it (and in my friend's room, they were missing soap).

PROS: The pool area is nice, the decor is fresh. Good location if seeking to ski in or out.
CONS OF POOR MANAGEMENT VASTLY OUTWEIGH PROS IN MY VIEW. I travel weekly for business all over the country and have never been to a hotel where multiple rooms were not turned and cleaned by 5pm, let alone 7 or later. Would not stay here again despite attractive decor and good location if you're in Snowmass.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
Elisabeth J, General Manager at Wildwood Snowmass, responded to this review, August 14, 2014
Dear Caroline H
Thanks for taking the time to share your comments about your recent stay with us. I apologize that your stay started off badly when we did not have a room ready for you at our 4 PM check-in time and that the proper amenities were not in place when you did get to your room. I can assure you that our housekeeping team was working diligently to prepare rooms as quickly as possible, as we knew that many arriving Ragnar Relay teams would be exhausted and anxious to check in. While the availability of rooms can be affected by the departure time of previous guests, it is nevertheless our responsibility to accommodate arriving guests on a timely basis and clearly we did not do so in this situation. I’m sorry that you did not find the check in agent empathetic and that you were not offered luggage assistance.
While it is never pleasant to receive bad news, it is through honest feedback from our guests that we are able to correct our service lapses. I hope you will give us an opportunity to redeem ourselves on your next visit to Snowmass. Best, Elisabeth James, General Manager
Aurora, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2014

At the end of the day, it all boils down to the staff.
Were they professional? Very
Were they courteous? Very.
Where they accommodating? Very.
Did they listen to and take seriously concerns? Absolutely.
Did they take action where necessary? Absolutely.
Not luxurious, but budget friendly and all the amenities of the Westin close at hand.
Westin's food is delicious!
Dan, Sly (front desk mgr)Elizabeth (mgr housekeeping), Martina, Meghan and everyone at front desk and the valet and in restaurant were great.
....and finally, ERIN is a true gem!

• Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
Dear Sherry H
Thanks for taking the time to share your five star review of your recent stay with us at the Wildwood Snowmass. It is wonderful to learn that Dan, Sly, Elizabeth, Martina and Erin made such an impression on you, and that the front desk, bell staff and restaurant teams also impressed you. All of our associates work hard each day to provide an exceptional experience to our guests and it is always rewarding to know when we get it right! I will pass along your compliments to our team. Hope to see you again soon. Best, Elisabeth James, General Manager

Been to Wildwood Snowmass? Share your experiences!