“A mixed bag of good and not so good” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Wildwood Snowmass

Save Saved
You added Wildwood Snowmass to your Saves list
Wildwood Snowmass
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   40 Elbert Lane, P.O. Box 5037, Snowmass Village, CO 81615   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #12 of 16 hotels in Snowmass Village
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“A mixed bag of good and not so good”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

I just spent six nights at the Wildwood as part of a large conference group. My room was located on the third floor facing the pool and just around the corner from the elevator (which reminds me ...why was the elevator so smelly all the time?). My experience here certainly is similar to others with both pros and cons to report. Yes the main floor lounge/bar/lobby area are now nicely decorated ....we were fortunate that due to the conference being hosted mainly at the Westin, and the Wildwood being owned by the same company, that some special breakfast offerings were put out everyday ....lovely individual fruit bowls, yogurt, multiple pastries and breads for toasting along with cereal, juices, coffee/tea.
I think a key take away re the Cons of the property are reflected in the statement by another conference attendee that her room was in a non-renovated part of the hotel. I asked her to describe it and - yup - to her surprise her room was just like ours, ie, renovated to LOOK like a throwback and probably enforced by some of the tacky furniture in the rooms. The bed was super comfy though ....no complaints. But PLEASE PLEASE add some more storage in the sink vanity area. That was hands down the worst feature of the room....the sink/vanity is outside of the room where the toilet/tub are and in plain view of the sleeping area. That also meant if I was up earlier or later than my roommate (I had one ....) and if you wanted to use the vanity area the light would go out into the sleeping area too. There was just one shelf on a pegboard, and a row of hooks for any kind of toiletry placement. This is really inadequate for a couple of ladies. Please add more shelves ....or replace the one board that runs the entire front /under the vanity with some kind of cabinet with drawers. Please. Because of things like this, most of us, who were considered leaders for group trips, said we would not be comfortable booking OUR groups into the property. Maybe a couple more fixes could help. I guess a lot of us ("mature" ) also were not used to rooms which had outside access only. I was happy though to see that I COULD adjust the heat controls in the room!
Location is good and staff was very helpful.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Hayden81615, Guest Experience Team at Wildwood Snowmass, responded to this review, April 26, 2013
We really appreciate you providing your feedback on TripAdvisor. We’re so glad to hear that you enjoyed the lounge/bar/lobby area and the special breakfast offered during your conference. I have passed on your suggestions for the sink vanity area to our management team. We certainly hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back again.

89 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Morristown, Vermont, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

The location of this property in Snowmass is great and it offers easy access to skiing. There is a pool and a hot tub and a pretty cool bar/restaurant. That is where the good ends and the bad begins. I was there for a ski travel conference and was incredibly underwhelmed by the rooms, the service and the overall vibe of this place. I understand it was recently renovated and they made a valiant effort towards making it fun and funky. They succeeded in the bar and lounge area, but the rest of the building would have been better off having been torn down and rebuilt.

Perhaps the property was overwhelmed by the sheer number of guests in town, but they were grossly unprepared. I have a feeling that my room must have been out of order prior to my arrival but they used it anyway. For those not familiar with the term out of order, it essentially means there is a maintenance issue of some sort that make the room unfit to be rented. The rooms remind me of a college dorm after a parent sponsored trip to IKEA. Overall the room was fine, however there were a number of broken or missing items that lead to the 2 Star rating above.

The sink was broken. When I tried to turn on the water, the entire fixture moved. The shower had a separate cold and hot knob and the cold knob was not even attached. It was laid out nicely on the bathmat. This screams, we know it is broken, but we either can't fix it or don't want to until the season is over, so we'll just leave the broken piece here so you can wedge it into the fixture and still get cold water. The shower head was also incredibly low. I'm not very tall, 5'10" and I had to duck to get the water on my head. A buddy who is 6'2" stayed here too and basically had to sit down in order to shower. Last but certainly not least, there was no shampoo or conditioner in the room. When I told housekeeping they apologized and told me they would bring some right away, They returned shortly with a 3 gallon jug ready to refill my dispenser. That is when it got worse, they realized there simply was no dispenser! They apologgized some more and said they would send a houseman to install one. That never happened. So I went to the front desk and explained the situation. The front desk agent apologized and started searching for some small bottles, which he could not locate. I told him I had meetings to attend and he simply replied, no problem, I'll locate some shampoo and put it in your room. By the next morning I still had nothing. When the housekeepers stopped by again to service the room I declined service and simply told them I really just need some shampoo. The housekeeper was mortified that nothing had been done. She apologized again and seemed to jump to rectify the situation. I now she meant well and I'm sure that correcting this matter was out of her control because I never did get any shampoo. After 3 days, I checked out as scheduled and went home.

The room was uncontrollably HOT too. The thermostat was set at 58 degrees and it was still stifling. I don't know if they are just for show, but they certainly don't control the temperature in the room. I had to open the windows in order to sleep.

When I checked out there was no question of "how was your stay"? I have a feeling the front desk would just rather not ask so they don't have to continually apologize or address any problems.

Room Tip: stay somewhere else
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Hayden81615, Guest Experience Team at Wildwood Snowmass, responded to this review, April 24, 2013
We really appreciate you taking the time to write such a detailed review. I sincerely apologize for the challenges that you faced during your stay, but I am grateful that you’ve shared the specifics so that we can address everything you mention with the leadership team and all associates. We have made many changes in an attempt to solve all of the problems that you experienced. We’re glad to hear that you at least enjoyed the pool, hot-tub, bar/restaurant, and we hope for the opportunity to welcome you back in the future for a much more enjoyable stay.
Edwards, Colorado
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

First let me say....location, location, location! One of the things that this hotel has going for it is it is practically ski in ski out. It is a stones throw from the "village" (however unimpressed with it I was...). This newly "renovated" hotel is right next to the newly renovated Westin and let me say, they did a fabulous job on the Westin. What I saw of it was gorgeous. Walking into the Wildwood, I loved the space. It's fun and funky and has a lot of personality. I think they did a great job with the lounge and common areas. Before I get into the negatives, let me preface my comments by saying, I "get" you guys (as a previous manager comment said: "some people don't 'get' us")...I get it. It is a VALUE property in a location that is populated with extremely expensive lodging.

Walking into my room, I liked it. The decor is fun and different. There is a lot of storage space which made it really easy to unpack and feel more at home. I loved having a fridge but it was too small. Upon further inspection of the room and bathroom especially, I realized they've essentially put lipstick on a pig here. The financial investment in "renovating" the rooms was minimal. New furniture in the bedroom, new paint on the walls but nothing was replaced. The tiles were chipped, the toilet was chipped, there were cracks in the wall, the soap holder in the shower was EXTREMELY used. I'm shocked that Starwood would let these things pass as acceptable. I met three different people who were staying at the property and thought they were in "non-renovated rooms". Yes, really.

When I first got to my room, the faucet in the bathtub was leaking. It took 4 phone calls and 3 days to get this fixed. Chinese water torture much?

Every morning, it sounded like someone was throwing a bowling ball to the ground in the room above me. Beware, this is an old building so it gets VERY loud at times.

The WORST part of my stay however, is the urine stains on the base of the toilet. They were there when I arrived and there when I left (shouldn't be hard to find this photo...). Yes, I could've called to have them clean it but I wanted to see if SOMEONE would notice it. I understand the staff had no say how the property was renovated but urine stains and lack of attention to a simple service call for the faucet is simply unacceptable.

All this being said, I'm not sure I would stay here again. Yes, it is a value property with a great location BUT there is clearly no standard of service and you cannot blame this on working out the kinks. Following up on a service call and CLEANING URINE STAINS are pretty common sense stuff. I won't be coming here again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Hayden81615, Guest Experience Team at Wildwood Snowmass, responded to this review, April 23, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review of Wildwood Snowmass. We will be able to use your comments as a learning tool to help train all of our associates. Obviously, the issues that you experienced regarding the cleanliness level of your room are completely unacceptable. I wish that you would have pointed it out while you were here so that we could have addressed it immediately. We have made sweeping changes to our entire housekeeping department, and I am confident that our future guests will not experience the same frustrations. On the flip side, we are glad to hear that you enjoyed the new “fun and different” décor and that you were able to take advantage of our prime location. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back as our special guest and provide you with a fantastic vacation.
Sheffield, Vermont
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

I stayed at the Wildwood several years ago for a conference and again last week. My memory from the first visit was of a slightly dated, nothing special property. I was pleasantly surprised to see the remodeled lobby and restaurant, and then the room. The theme is kind of 70s retro, with bold colors and funky furniture and decor. I flashed back to my childhood when I saw the cat statue with calico patchwork decoupage in the lobby! The room itself was a good size, with two beds and decent storage. The one thing that bothered me was the light - there were two bedside lights, but the only overhead light was over the table at one end of the room and it was not strong enough. It always felt a bit dark in the room.

The staff was very friendly and responsive; overall I was very pleased with my stay.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Thanks so much for your review. We’re so glad to hear that you enjoyed the “funky retro remodel” at the Wildwood. Also glad to hear that you found the staff friendly and responsive to your needs. We really appreciate all of your comments and hope to see you again soon!
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

Beware that there is NO public parking and the moron CJ behind the desk will send you on a wild goose chase for a lot at the bottom of the hill, about 5 miles down according to him. This hotel has the worst decor I have ever seen, it looks like a child painted their lobby and NOTHING matches.

• Stayed April 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor. Because Snowmass Village sits on the side of a mountain, parking is at a premium. During ski season the Town of Snowmass Village strictly enforces the parking lots’ use – the only people allowed to park in the lots are lodge guests, residents & employees with season permits. The Lodge Guest Permit is a flat fee (set by the Town), and is good for up to 7 days. There is free day parking down the road at Town Park Station (formerly Rodeo Lot). The rest of the year the parking lots are all free and open to everyone. I apologize for the confusion and we will certainly work on communicating this more clearly to all of our guests.
Dublin, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

We had 2 rooms at Wildwood because of the NASTAR price $135 for each room. At this rate I beileve it was an excellent value. There were 4 of us 2 adults 2 children and wildwood accomidated us with ajoining rooms. However you must put up with a few cons when you have this fantastic rate.

Cons
outside entry..yes you can hear everything but its pretty quiet at night after sking
elevator only goes to 3rd floor...so if your on the 4th floor you have to haul luggage up 2 flights of stairs (also outside elevator is small and cold)
no concerge
only a couple of donuts and coffee were offered in the morning so you had to go elsewhere if you wanted breakfast.
no business office to use computer or fax
toilets are not powerful so you always saw someone walking around with a plunger

Pros
Jack at the front desk was super friendly and helped bring skis upon check in because we shipped them and helped taking them on return
Fun restaurant with entertainment (they just dont serve breakfast)
free laundry machines and they are new
comfy beds and plent of pillows and blankets
large game room for children,air hockey,pool table,arcade games etc..
steps from mall
ski valet next to westin (although they dont take boots) only for Westin guests
nostalgic magazines and books from the 1960's in lobby and restaurant. Very cool.
Great shower pressure
They just didnt give the rooms a paint job they were renovated

Room Tip: rooms 426 and 427 were quiet because they were away from the pool facing the mountain....
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Hayden81615, Guest Experience Team at Wildwood Snowmass, responded to this review, April 5, 2013
Thanks for sharing your review on TripAdvisor. That’s exactly how we like to think of the Wildwood Snowmass: A Great Value. And thanks for the shot-out to Jack – we’re proud to have him on the team. He certainly does exude the kind of friendly service we hope to provide to all of our guests. Though there is not an official “concierge” at the Wildwood, the Frond Desk Agents are able to assist with most questions/requests – otherwise, we do welcome our Wildwood guests to take advantage of our Concierges next door at the Westin. Please keep us in mind not just for ski season but also as base-camp for all of the incredible outdoor activities available in the summer.
Waterville Valley, New Hampshire
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

Chose this hotel due to registering late for NASTAR Championships and it was all that was available. Looks ok on the web site. Good point is that it's close to everything and it also has a heated outdoor pool year round and a decent game room for the kids. Down side is that the place is poorly designed, received a low budget renovation when the Westin took it over and that translates to a less than pleasant stay. The heat in our room was uncontrollable. We called and they said someone would be up. never happened. Other reviews show this to be a common problem. What hotel in this day has hot water baseboard heating. The thermostat on the wall was purely decoration. On the 2nd day there was a foul bathroom smell that enveloped the lobby and up the stairs to the game room. A whole day before it went away. Donuts and coffee are put out for guests in the morning but they run out in about 10 minutes. Housekeeping came at 8AM one day and 3PM another. Neither time did they replenish shampoo or soap. Another reviewer said that if you want the Ritz experience the place is not for you. I'd say that this is sub par to even a Motel 6 or Fairfield Inn. Spend a little more money and book earlier elsewhere

Room Tip: Avoid rooms on the street side if you are a light sleeper. I'm not and I listened to plow truck...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Hayden81615, Guest Experience Team at Wildwood Snowmass, responded to this review, April 4, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share feedback on your recent stay. We greatly appreciate hearing from our guests and take all comments very seriously towards highlighting areas that need improvement. Hosting the NASTAR Championships was such a blast for all of Snowmass, and I’m so sorry to hear that you had such a disappointing experience with us. We hope that we might have a chance to make it up to you the next time you visit Snowmass.

Been to Wildwood Snowmass? Share your experiences!