“Great Location - Some "Reservervation" if booking more than one room.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Westin Snowmass Resort

You added The Westin Snowmass Resort to your Saves list
The Westin Snowmass Resort
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   100 Elbert Lane, Snowmass Village, CO 81615 (Formerly The Silvertree Hotel & Conference Center)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
4th Night Free & Credit
Ranked #5 of 16 Hotels in Snowmass Village
Blue Bell, PA
“Great Location - Some "Reservervation" if booking more than one room.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2014

Overall, my family of 5 had a fantastic 6 nights over Christmas break at the Westin Snowmass. We had two rooms, (which was quite an issue at first, which I'll get in to in a bit) which had nice closet space, a LARGE flat screen TV, coffee maker, bottled water, etc. The building is older, although Westin did a great renovation job a few years back. That said, the bathroom layout was not as large as many modern luxury hotels, with a three piece bath and only one sink. The walls were on the thin side, as hallway noise was easily heard. Otherwise, I thought the hotel and staff was great including Katie and Steven J. at the front desk. These two truly understand Customer Service, and due to issues we had getting our rooms, understood how to be problem-solvers. Without them and their problem-solving efforts, my review likely would have a negative slant. Kudos to Westin for employing such great people. Although our rooms were in the area that required two elevator rides, we did not find this a big detriment, although the elevators did seem slow at times.
LOCATION - The location is great. Right on the mountain and the snowmass Mall. A mini-gondola takes you to the base village during the day and early evening, and the hotel van will take care of you later at night if necessary. I believe this is the premier Snowmass location (Better location than Viceroy). Ski-in Ski-out with a great Ski Valet Department. I mean, really efficient and friendly. BTW, although not a review of the mountain, it's important to mention that unless an expert skier, most people coming to ski the Aspen area end up skiing Snowmass, due to its size and terrain variety. We took the bus in to Aspen at night on several occasions for dinner (Jimmy's American Eatery was great), and the bus was extremely punctual, clean and efficient. It's about a 25 minute trip and free. I do not fully understand the thinking of staying in Aspen and taking the daily bus to Snowmass to ski. It's got to be better the way we did it.
RESERVATION - We booked two rooms way back in April for our December trip. When I selected the rooms from the Starwood website, I selected One King and Two Queens as our room choices, with a request for connecting or adjacent rooms. In September/October, I called 3 times and asked to be connected to Reservations to discuss the room situation. All three times I got voicemail, and left a detailed message requesting a call-back. I never received a return call. In early December when I called, I spoke to a representative, who told me the hotel was overbooked and that we wouldn't get rooms together, although we did discuss possible alternatives, with no firm decisions made. Without going in to boring detail, the bottom line is that our rooms were moved adjacent to each other, but were assigned two king rooms, which created an impossible sleeping situation for 5 people. This change was done without authorization or communication (until we showed up at the hotel). This issue was compounded by the fact the hotel had no rollaways available (supposedly for our entire stay), and the fact the hotel could not provide any blow-up mattresses or other sleeping alternatives. Without Steven J. being the problem-solver he was, I don't know what we would have done.
RESTAURANT, LOUNGE, and SPA - The hotel has a great lobby area, where, cookies, cider, and water are generally available. In the afternoon, music often provided for a great happy hour scene. Sometimes, the music was across the street at the Wildwood, which provided for a great alternative. Bottom line is that we often found ourselves Apres-ski at The Vue bar, located in the lobby enjoying the beautiful sights and sounds. Free 10-minute Massages in the lobby were a fun after ski activity as well.
Each morning, we had breakfast at THE KITCHEN in the lower lobby. The kids enjoyed the breakfast buffet, while my wife and I generally ordered off the menu. The food was good, and fairly priced. What surprised me was the buffet line's constant battle to have plates available. A buffet should never run out of plates. Period. Order more, have more dishwashers, clear dishes. Come up with a solution. This happened on a daily basis while we were there, so I suspect the problem occurs on an hourly basis. The Restaurant Management, when alerted to the issue seemed little concerned. Mind-blowing to me. BTW, Chris was a great waiter; very personable. Nearby alternatives for food were Starbucks, Big Hoss (in the mall) Vengo Vengo (mexican) and Belgium Brewery.
SPA - My wife had two Spa treatments at the Westin Spa which is located on the 3rd floor. She raved about the Foot Reflexology which, with tip, came to about $95, and she had a massage that was "very good (without a Rave)" which cost $192 including tip.
LAUNDRY - Laundry facilities are available at the Wildwood hotel across the street. Modern washers and dryers and detergent (at the Wildwood's front desk), all free of charge provided reasonable accommodation. However, the laundry room was filthy. It should be cleaned, weekly, because it looked like it had never been cleaned. If it is cleaned weekly, then clean it daily, hourly, whatever it takes to keep it respectable. You can not ask people who are staying at a 5 star westin to do laundry in a pit. And when skiing for any length of time, laundry needs to be done at some point. (There was an area on the 3rd floor of the Westin marked Guest Laundry, but it was always locked, and during our stay, had a sign placed "closed due to improvements being made". When I asked the front desk, they denied even knowing about it.) Certainly, Westin should have their own laundry. In the meantime, have Wildwood keep a closer eye on their facility.
Although my review had criticism, we enjoyed our stay, and likely will return at some point in the future without hesitation. I hope Westin works on the issues discussed, so it will truly become a 5-star location.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Hayden81615, admin assist at The Westin Snowmass Resort, responded to this review, January 14, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review after your recent stay at The Westin Snowmass Resort. Thanks especially for the kudos for Katie and Steven at the Front Desk. I sincerely apologize for the challenges you faced regarding your reservation/room type. Your comments have been shared with the executive management team so that they can review and address accordingly. We're so glad to hear that ultimately you and your family of 5 had a fantastic 6 night stay over Christmas Break, and we hope to welcome you back again next year!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
Atlanta, GA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2014

I stayed with my family at Westin Snowmass resort over the Christmas and New Year's 2013 holidays. Hotel is ski in/ ski out for Snowmass ski resort which is a big plus and they have ski and boots storage (part of the $30 daily resort fee). Check in staff was very polite but inefficient and undertrained and that comes from somebody that is Platinum Starwood member and 240 days per year on the road.
As soon as you enter in the hotel you get a great feeling from the open lobby with big windows facing the slopes and contemporary furnitures. The problem though is that the rest of the hotel is honestly like a (refurbished) Motel 6. Apparently that was an old timeshare type of hotel that went belly up and was bought by Westin and refurbished. Problem is that the common spaces and the rooms (with exception of the new furniture) are old and smell old. Rooms have limited light, building quality is bad with noises coming from all rooms around and above you.
I was also surprised with the staff who although they were polite, could not handle basic requests and seem always confused and undertrained.
So at the end if you are looking for a convenient ski in/ski out resort at Snowmass you will not be disappointed. But if you are looking for a Westin you will be upset....

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for choosing to stay with us over the holidays with your family. Your loyalty as an Platinum SPG member is highly valued, and your insight and opinions are useful for us to improve our property and service levels. We're so glad to hear that you enjoyed the convenience of our ski-in/ski-out location as well as the ski valet. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future and exceed your expectations.
Corona del Mar, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2014

The Westin-Snowmass sits in the best location in Snowmass. The ability to ski in/out is convenient to say the least...The hotel lounge is comfortable to relax in while waiting for your room or your family as they ski the slopes. Our room was marginal and nothing to brag about.

Overall Staff: The staff at the Vue bar is engaging and take good care of you. Rose in the Kid's club is absolutely amazing! My kid had the best time with her. She is creative and allows the kids to have fun in a safe environment. The front desk and concierge teams are knowledgeable and helpful. My biggest complaint was with housekeeping and the staff in the Snowmass Kitchen (main restaurant). Housekeeping was slow to respond to request and one day I found our new, clean bath towels left sitting on the floor of the bathroom. The staff in the main restaurant felt very "rookie". They was not overly knowledgeable of the menu and failed to get our dinner order right. Breakfast was not very different as simple pancakes had to be sent back to the kitchen because they were over cooked. The good thing though was that once the call outs were made management was quick to remove the charge from our bill.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Hayden81615, admin assist at The Westin Snowmass Resort, responded to this review, January 13, 2014
Thank you for posting a review on TripAdvisor after your recent stay. We're so glad to hear that your family enjoyed our Kids Club and the convenience of our ski-in/ski-out location. I sincerely apologize for the disappointments you experienced, and your comments have been shared with the Director of Housekeeping and the Food & Beverage Team. We appreciate you sharing your experience with us so that we can address the issues and improve our service for all future guests. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.
NoVA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2014

The way the hotel management seemingly ignored our request resulted in my rating of the resort. I made my original reservation 4 months in advance, When I noticed I booked the wrong type of room I called the hotel 3 months prior to our arrival to correct my error and was told it would be done – I asked for a room with either two queen beds, or a king bed with a sofa bed and a roll-away. Fast forward to our arrival and it was not, I still had the original room. When we brought this up with the hotel, the management really seemed to treat us more as an annoyance and never did anything to help (at least they were polite). We were never offered an opportunity to switch rooms, which we requested. I get that this was a very busy time but seeing the other TA reviews where the hotel offered to switch rooms during the same period of time we were there seems to validate my opinion of how we were treated. We were even told there were no rooms with sofa beds so there was no way it could have be discussed with me – then we saw several rooms with sofa beds; hotel management then said they were the suites. We did get one rollaway bed late the first night though one of the kids still ended up sleeping on the floor. I’m a lifetime gold SPG member and used points for the room but that must not mean anything anymore. Maybe only if you are a platinum member or paid for the stay will they try an accommodate you.

The hotel staff did seem to try very hard and were always friendly, however, they were not always the most accurate or dependable. For example, checking-in took unnecessarily long as I was the second person in line and the two front desk staff were assisting others checking in. It took 10 minutes before they got to me and there was an even longer line by then – I don’t know why more people didn’t assist at the front desk. The front desk person was nice but didn’t seem to know as much information about the hotel as she needed. The directions she gave for me to get to my room were almost correct but not quite – I found my room more by luck; the instructions for where to get our skis at the rental shop were all wrong. One night we requested additional pillows and had to call twice as the first request was apparently ignored. I had to get additional shampoo from the carts in the hall as my requests for more were also ignored. They almost seemed unprepared for the holiday rush of people.

Aside from the fact the room was too small, it was fine but it was literally in Siberia and it was hot – from the hotel lobby you had to take two elevators and walk a long way. I was told that it was in the quiet part of the hotel and the rooms near the lobby were much louder – don’t know if this is true or not. We were unable to change the temperature in the room and even asked for engineering to come by to see if we were doing something wrong. The engineer said the rooms in each section were linked so if we wanted to lower our room temperature it could only be done if other rooms also lowered theirs (what???). This made no sense at all and for the remaining 4 days we were there we ended up leaving our room window open. We noticed others doing the same thing.

We used the concierge service to book several activities and they were helpful. They also helped us with ski rentals and lift tickets – buy them in advance for a discount.

WIFI was included in the $30 daily resort fee with a maximum of 3-devices connected at once. With the resort fee the hotel would provide transportation to nearby areas and we did use this service. Additionally, the resort fee includes a ski valet service where you can store your shoes during the day while you ski, and your skis and boots after each day of skiing. We really liked the convenience of the service and the proximity of the hotel to the slopes (ski in/ski out). We had to pay an extra $32 total for parking (not included in the resort fee).

We did enjoy sitting in the lobby by the fireplace or overlooking the slopes early in the morning and in the late afternoons. They offered hot cider and cookies in the afternoon. On certain days they had live musicians from 4-7PM. One afternoon there was a chef from the restaurant with shrimp and grits samples.

We ate dinner at the Vue one evening. Our waitress seemed to be rather inexperienced and we had to repeat our order and request refills, etc. Otherwise the food was fine. One day we at lunch at the Snowmass Kitchen restaurant and the food was fine there as well. If you want less expensive options there are other restaurants nearby in the Snowmass Mall but as with all the restaurants in Aspen, either make reservations ahead of time or get there early. We also went into Aspen one night and had dinner at Kenichi, which was very good. For breakfast we went to Starbucks or Fuel.

In summary, the pros:

Location (ski in/ski out) - awesome
Ski valet
Convenient options for nearby dining
Friendly/polite staff
Hotel activities

Cons:

Hotel management inaction to our situation - disappointing
Inexperienced/poorly trained staff
Inability to regulate the room temperature
Additional $32 parking fee

Room Tip: Request one closer to the lobby, open the windows.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Hayden81615, admin assistant at The Westin Snowmass Resort, responded to this review, January 13, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review after your recent stay at The Westin Snowmass Resort. I sincerely apologize for the frustrations you experienced regarding your room-type/reservation. Double Queens were in high demand over the holidays, and many guests who booked Kings ended up actually needing Double Queens upon arrival. It is true that only suites have the sleeper sofas. Our front desk associates were in a no-win situation with no more double queens to offer valued guests like yourself. The executive management team is aware of the disappointment and frustration this caused and will be addressing. We’re so glad to hear that you did enjoy the ski-in/ski-out location of the hotel as well as the convenience of our ski valet and our lobby with fireplace overlooking the slopes. We greatly value your loyalty as a lifetime Gold SPG member, and we hope to welcome you back again in the future and provide you with an experience that exceeds your expectations.
Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2014

This hotel is very reasonably priced and is a true ski-in, ski-out. The rooms are the same quality as any other Westin. I agree with the other feedback though regarding the staff. They don't seem highly trained and are all rather young and inexperienced. The bar is also extremely slow. Also the food is unimpressive. I had a pizza through room service and their breakfast buffet.

Regardless though, this hotel is approximately 1/3 of the price of other hotels in the area and the location is unbeatable. You are steps away from skiing and a lot of food and shopping options. The hotel is not a Ritz Carlton or 4 Seasons, so you have to come in with reasonable expectations. I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Hayden81615, admin assistant at The Westin Snowmass Resort, responded to this review, January 10, 2014
We appreciate you taking the time to post a review after your recent stay at The Westin Snowmass Resort. All feedback, both positive and negative, is a useful tool that can be used to improve the guest experience for all future visitors. Your comments have been shared with the Food & Beverage department in particular, and we hope to surpass your expectations when you come back to stay with us again.
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2014

I just loved it the kids club. Rose Was the best...she played with my son ,did arts and crafts and other things he had so much fun and did not want to leave it ....great place great people to be with
For sure i will be back there soon

Room Tip: All rooms are great...great service
Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
I think Rose has as much fun as the kids do! Thank you for taking the time to post this wonderful review of our Kids Club, and we're thrilled to hear that you will be coming back again soon.
South Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2014

I have been organizing a group of families from South Florida who ski together during the holidays for almost ten years now. This was our group's first trip to Snowmass. From the moment we arrived at the boutique style Aspen airport, there was a feeling of easiness. The Westin provides free airport service to the hotel and a friendly driver waited for us at baggage claim. The area is spectacular and on our ride in we already knew this would be our new holiday "ski home" for the next several years. Upon arrival at the Westin, Kate at the front desk warmly greeted us with a big smile. The lobby was warm and inviting and each afternoon hot cider and cookies are displayed complimentary to guests.. a really nice touch. There is a beautiful fire place and views of the mountain and a feeling like you are sitting in your own living room. Although it is not ideal for a family of four to stay in a hotel room, the room was thoughfully designed allowing ample storage of all of our ski gear and clothes for the week we were there. It's worth giving up space for the amazing location and wonderful amenities of hotel of this caliber. We were also lucky enough to have a view of the mountain and the lift. This was ski in ski out folks, so much so that our friends staying below said they were even able to ski right off their balcony. The room was bright and cheerful, exceptionally clean, with top of the line linens and pillows (generally expected at a Westin) and probably one of the best hotel showers I ever had (great pressure too) with awesome big fluffy bath towels and robes. I used the fitness center, all brand new state of the art equipment, with flat screen tv's, cold towels, views, etc. We also enjoyed the large hot tubs over looking the mountain and lift. My family enjoyed the breakfast buffet and got to know Chris, our very friendly waiter, who was wonderful even though the restaurant at times was very busy. Kudos to the GM John Curnow and his assistant Beth as well as all their staff. It is not an easy job pleasing so many particular guests, especially when you run the nicest hotel in Snowmass during the busiest week of the year! I spend a lot of time on TA and have learned how to read past some over-critical reviewers who don't understand that sometimes even the most upscale hotel can have some ripples when you are staying from Christmas to New Year's week. All in all our group of 39 people were all extremely happy with the Westin Snowmass and will be back for sure next year!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to post such a detailed review after your recent stay. It's so kind of you to specifically mention members of the team like Kate and Chris - they work so hard (especially over the holidays!) and greatly appreciate the recognition. We loved hosting your group from Florida, and we are thrilled to hear that Westin Snowmass will be your new "ski home" for many years to come!

Been to The Westin Snowmass Resort? Share your experiences!