“Our absolute favourite in Snowmass” 5 of 5 stars

Menu
Improve this listing
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
Description: An on-mountain family tradition for 34 yearsGwyn's High Alpine has consistently been voted North America's best on-mountain restaurant by Ski, Skiing, and Powder Magazine. Vanity Fair writes that Gwyn's is not to be missed when you visit Aspen and Snowmass. For the past 34 years, visitors and locals alike have returned to experience the creative cuisine, with menu items from the Alps to the Pacific Rim. Kick back on the deck with an Angus burger, enjoy a steaming bowl of Brunswick chicken stew in our cafe, or welcome the opportunity to take off your boots, slip on some slippers, and tempt your palate with a three-course meal at Gwyn's. No meal is complete without a bottle of wine from Gwyn and George's wine cellar, which boasts an impressive collection accumulated over the past three decades. No matter which of our many options you choose, we promise exceptional food and service at our family restaurant.The dining room opens at 9 a.m. for breakfast. Lunch seating begins at 11:30 a.m. and ends at 2:30 p.m. Get George's "No Bull" Snow Report and daily specials every morning at 7:30 a.m. on Facebook.
“Our absolute favourite in Snowmass”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2014 via mobile

Dined here twice- breakfast and lunch. We went to the table service area, and enjoyed the attentive service and amazing food. The blueberry pancakes were to die for! It 's kind of old fashioned, like an English B&B, and the staff make you feel so welcome and special. Loved it and hope to get back there again soon.

Visited January 2014

Naples, Florida
“Amazing Dining Experience!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2014

This is the best restaurant you will find in the Aspen area hands down!!! The atmosphere cannot be beat. From the minute you walk through the doors, you are surrounded by attentive staff and a family that loves to share in making your visit extra special. Once you take your boots off, slip on a complimentary pair of crocs (that I was assured were washed after every use :)) and sit down to a five star meal, you may never want to get back out to the slopes. The views are spectacular and the food is to die for! You must try Gwyn's legendary Seafood Puffs. My Seared Ahi Salad was delicious (Gwyn came by our table and mentioned that they fly fresh seafood in daily!) and my husband had the Elk Medallions with a Wild Lingonberry Reduction and said it was the best meat dish he had ever had. Our kids are a bit picky at 8 and 11, and our waitress ran right out to the more casual cafeteria side of the restaurant to bring them chicken fingers, fries and jello. We ended the meal with a sinful (yet gluten free) Chocolate Gateau and a coffee and khalua, and it was one of the best meals I can recall ever having, let alone in the middle of a ski area!

It was amazing to find such an incredible fine dining experience over 10,000 feet above sea level. My only complaint is that the restaurant is not open year round...for if it were my family and I would return every week! We are heading back in tomorrow for champagne breakfast while the kids are in ski school.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
The Woodlands, Texas
“Ironmanley”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2014

My wife and I have been coming to Aspen & Snowmass for over 15 years. We had never been into Gwyn's, but decided to drop the kids off at ski school and have a relaxing breakfast on New Year's day 2014. Our waiter "Nick" was excellent and very attentive. Food selection was great and tasted s good as it looked. We look forward to returning in the Spring! Keep up the great service.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
“Bad, except you get to wear crocs”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2014 via mobile

The sit down part of this restaurant is so disappointing. My daughter had the $10 chicken noodle soup, watery and in a butter bowl it was so small. Our table had a skylight above it and SNOW was falling on our indoor table! When I asked the rude and so unhelpful waiter he said- well we've tried to fix it, see the tape. Is this normal for a restaurant with $40 elk medallions? Waiter was condescending, rude and would not clear the appetizer plates even when asked. Don't waste your $.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Whitney D, Manager at Gwyn's High Alpine Restaurant, responded to this review, January 15, 2014
Dear Anika,

I am so sorry to hear about your experience in Gwyn's. I apologize for the tone that our waiter took with you and would be interested to hear if you remember his name or could describe him to me so that I can take appropriate actions. Your review happened on the 10th and I was wondering if that was the day that you had your meal so I can look into the staff involved.

We are unfortunately dealing with an older building and are doing all we can to alleviate the issues with our roof. I am sorry it affected your meal. We generally are well know for our soups and it sounds like yours was not stirred properly when served. We will address that as well.

I don't know if you are still in the Aspen Snowmass area, but I would love to buy you and your family lunch if you would come back for another experience. Let me know if that will work. The offer stands for next ski season as well just contact me at gwynshighalpine@gmail.com and let me know when we can expect you. I hope you will give us another chance.

Thanks,
Whitney DeLuca
Manager
Gwyn's High Alpine
Snowmass Village, Colorado
“Gwyns High Alpine”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2014

Gwyns High Alpine has something for everyone. You have the choice to sit down and enjoy a relaxed fine dining experience or eat in the cafe with equally delicious food in a quicker more casual setting. As a resident of Snowmass Village I choose to have almost all of my on mountain meals here. The cafe has everything from burgers, rice bowls and pizza to salads and some of the best homemade soups.chili around. I eagerly await finding out the soup of the day every time I ski or hike up to the restaurant. The food is always fresh and with so many choices you are sure to find something for every palate and health need. There is a wonderful bar with the friendliest efficient bar tenders around to sit and enjoy a beverage, food, catch up on your sporting scores on the big screen tv and visit with friends. When you have a little more time I highly recommend sitting in the fine dining resturant. Whether you want to start your skiing day out with a delicious breakfast or break for lunch the food will not disappoint.The variety of salds and entrees matched with the some best wines around will add to your skiing experience. The servers are professional, knowledgale and attentive. One of my favorite on or even off mountain dining experiences around.

Visited December 2013