“Great experience” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersGold level
Minnesota
“Great experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

We stayed for a week of skiing as a family, and were thoroughly impressed with the Viceroy. High end appliances in the kitchenette (Viking microwave, Bosch dishwasher, Sub Zero fridge/freezer and Wolf stove top, Whirlpool washer/dryer) all in a one bedroom unit. Reasonably priced groceries at the Village Market made it easy to fix most meals in the room. Hot chocolate and cider provided by the Viceroy each afternoon was a perfect welcome after a day of skiing. The pool was relaxing and warm. The ski valet in the hotel was so convenient, with eager staff to help with boot removal. We would stay at the Viceroy again in a heartbeat!

Room Tip: Rooms that face the chairlift have a great view, but be prepared for the 6am groomers that travel th...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
GMViceroySnowmass, General Manager at Viceroy Snowmass, responded to this review, March 26, 2013
I am thoroughly delighted to hear that your recent stay with us at the Viceroy Snowmass far exceeded the expectations of your family. It is wonderful to hear that you were able to experience our wonderful room amenities and afternoon hot coco and cider in the lobby as a “welcome back” from a day on the slopes. We look forward to welcoming you and your family back very soon to continue to create lifelong memories.

All the Best,

423 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
Tyler, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

This hotel/resort has a wonderful ski valet, with friendly and helpful attendants. HOWEVER, the hotel isn't all it's cracked up to be. For one, it costs quite a lot per night. We were delayed in our travel by the weather..after all, it is Spring. The hotel refused to refund our missed night, even though we did call to let them know our flight was cancelled. Later in our week stay, they did come through with a partial refund-some was better than none. I know my husband's company's travel agents had something to do with that happening. (I was so grateful to them for that!) Don't go here with your kids and expect to have a romantic evening with your spouse- the beautiful fireplace goes through from the bedroom to the living room, and the fold-out sofa bed. We had to call and asked for sheets and pillows for our son for the sofa, even though they knew we were a party of three. The kitchen has amazing top of the line appliances- Viking microwave/convection oven, Borsch stackable washer/dryer (so convenient for skiing) and dishwasher, and an amazing Sub Zero frig. I felt part of the high price for a so-so room was reflected in the appliances. With all this, you would think they thought people would cook...which some might...but there was only a small round cocktail-size table in the living room that only had 2 chairs. It just didn't add up! Other problems we had were that one day we ran out of toilet paper! We used the roll that was in the bathroom as an extra and the staff never replaced it, and we were left without- big housekeeping problem! We stayed from Sunday to Saturday. On Friday of our trip, I came back to room ahead of family about 1:45pm. We had not had housekeeping. I called the front desk and told them, they offered to call them and have housekeeping come, but I asked instead to have them come for an early turn-down at 6:00pm (which is when we would be at dinner) so that everyone could shower and dress without being interrupted by housekeeping. When we returned from our dinner, we STILL had not been visited by housekeeping. We called and they came right away, but it was still an inconvenience.
One other minor issue is that our door to the hall would not close well on its own- we had to slam it to make sure it was locked. Again, minor, but knowing how much this hotel costs per night, I would think there would not be ANY issues.
Overall, I think this is a beautiful place, neatly decorated and great slopes for skiing. I think the resort thinks fairly highly of itself and I'm not sold on the whole deal.
One great thing about this resort is the Four Mountain Sports ski valet. So convenient, so friendly, so helpful!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
I am so happy to hear that you and your family were able to enjoy all of the amenities of the rooms and the ski-valet services while you were staying here with us. I am so sorry to hear that you missed your first night with us due to travel and weather complications. I trust that you are satisfied with the remedy from our staff regarding our standard resort cancellation policy. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Viceroy Snowmass very soon!

All the Best,

3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013 via mobile

A family of four for a week skiing needs more than one closet and 4 drawers to store all of our stuff! We spent the week with boots sitting on the floor, jackets and ski pants piled in the corner, hats and sun glasses lining the 2 mantles. This was a one bedroom suite.

Hotel lacks the necessary attention to detail:

Turn down service arrived at different times each day, ranging from before 4 pm to as late as 9:15.

There was a lot of service, but mostly by teenage kids who were not of the caliber i would expect at this price point. I was tipping people left and right out of obligation, but they really should upgrade to professional hospitality workers.

Finally, i had to call for bath soap the first day and found the dvd remote batteries were dead, and had to call for that. The dryer took about 2.5 hours to dry a medium size load of cotton clothes.

On a positive note, ski-in/ski-out setup was the best I've ever seen...and the ski valet was convenient.

Bottom line, beyond the looks of the place and the location, there was nothing else that made this worth anything near the price they command.

• Stayed March 2013
Thank you for your recent review from your stay with us here at the Viceroy Snowmass. I am displeased to hear that you were uncomfortable in your room during your stay, and that there was not enough storage for your belongings. But on a more positive note, I am very happy to hear that you enjoyed our valet services while you were on property. I do trust that this service aided in making the transition from hotel to slopes more comfortable for you and your family.

Best regards,

3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013 via mobile

After reading through a lot of the reviews here, I agree with most of them and in consideration to the poor reviews the reasons all seem similar to our experiences.
As stated in the title, this was my 3rd stay with the hotel and what most likely was our last stay.
During the post stay survey I voiced the same complaints as I will here and was promptly emailed by Hugh the GM asking if he could call and discuss the stay... And he never called- so here's our experience
Valet staff- most of the guys were pretty good but only a select few seem to actually care. On the night of reserving a ride to Aspen, Patrick at the valet took my reservation at 5:30 (in person) for a 6:30 pick up. At 6:20 when we were walking out of the room our phone rang. I thought it was to alert us the car was there when actually it must have been a call the car left. When I walked outside one gentleman recognized me and asked if I had a ride at 6:00. I replied no, it's at 6:30. This was met with some in audible response by Patrick but the thing I did hear was " he's a liar, he told me 6:00 to my face". Needless to say, the best parts of that evening had nothing to do with Viceroy service.
Amenities- it would have been nice to enjoy the pool/hot tub after skiing or Nest for a drink but the hotel had reserved both the pool and the restaurant for 3 straight nights for a DJ and a large group who had a meeting that week on the mountain.
Value- some other reviews have mentioned this but- the rates advertised do not include a "resort charge"... What are they charging for? Lack of access to the hotel? Or poor service?
Restaurants- as stated I could not evaluate nest due to a nightly party.
8 K... Whoever had written a review and said they were snubbed by the host?!?! You were right on! Except who I thought was a host actually was a manager- which I think is worse. We had to change our reservation from 3 to 7 people- which I know is a different request all together. After a lot of explaining to me how this obviously was a HUGE deal... We were told he had a high top near the kitchen and we had to sit right now. We did, and after ordering 2 bottles of 07 quintessa .... The service and the manager's attitude perked right up! Amazing right?
There was more but overall, you get the picture. Our previous stays all were littered with similar stories. The only reason I went back, I had friends who wanted to stay there.
I am 38 years old and I have been visiting Snowmass for

• Stayed February 2013
Thank you very much for taking the time to give us your constructive feedback on your recent visit with us. I apologize that we were not able to fulfill all your expectations as we strive to create the most positive experiences possible.
Clearly there were some very basic issues that we fell short on during this visit. I am unhappy with the experience we have created for you and wish to create some way forward to erase these and develop more appropriate memories. Please contact me directly so that we may discuss our shortfalls and glean your perspective on our process improvement.

Adelaide, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

Stayed here for 5 nights on business/pleasure.
Really not much to fault at this place.
I find the "American manner" a bit odd and just cannot avoid feeling it is insincere and somewhat sycophantic. Sorry to all the Americophiles!
Putting this to one side, however, I really enjoyed everything about my stay at the Viceroy. Exceptionally helpful concierge, efficient and unobtrusive ski valet, complimentary and near instant transport around Snowmass, sensational spa and a great place to unwind.
Rooms were clean and well appointed, good turndown service. The only downsides to the room were lack of tea and milk, temperamental TV remote and noisy humidifier.
Breakfast was tasty and good quality (not masses of choice, but I prefer quality to choice). It would be nice if there was a "light" breakfast option. The first morning, I only had a bowl of fruit and cup of coffee, but was still charged the full buffet price (I didn't question it, I assume that's the rules).
Not cheap, but worth it. As I like to say "Pay peanuts, get monkeys".
I would definitely recommend a stay here.

Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
It brings me great pleasure to hear that your experience with our concierge service, complimentary transportation around Snowmass, ski-valet and spa services far exceeded your expectations while you were staying with us here at the Viceroy Snowmass. Thank you so much for writing such a nice review about you recent stay with us. We trust that we will see you again soon, whether it be on business or for pleasure.

Best,

5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013 via mobile

We stayed 10 nights at this awesome hotel with my husband and 9 and 7 years old kids. We stayed at 1 bedroom suite, more than enought for us. Full 4 people kitchen with washer and drier at the room (if I had know it in advance I had packed half of the cloths).
Great nespresso coffee maker at the room, and amazing ski valet.
The Argentinian guys there were more than nice "Pancho" the best!
Breakfast at hotel nice but slow, so we prefer just having a coffee and toasts at the room so ski early.
The mountain is great for family, we could ski through all it with the kids, really fun!
Dinner at hotel too fancy, not much options.
Try pasta at IlPoglio (Snowmass Mall) much better.

Clean up of the rooms not at the level of the hotel.

Great free chocolate, marshmallows and hot apple cider when you come back from skiing, just pick it up from the lobby and enjoy it next to the fire!!!

Great experience!!!

• Stayed February 2013
I am so pleased that everyone here at the Viceroy Snowmass exceeded your expectations during your recent stay with us. Thank you for writing about all the amenities we have to offer here for fellow travelers to see, such as the ski-valet services, room amenities and afternoon welcome back items in the lobby area. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Snowmass area and to the Viceroy in the near future.

Warm Regards,

Aspen, Colorado
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

I have been to the Viceroy many times. Each time flawed by something....slow restaurant service, warm prosecco, confusion with spa appointments, restaurant and front desk staff being chilly, generally unreceptive staff, and the final straw...the very rude parking attendant. He actually accused me of lying to him? He was obviously disgruntled about something and chose to take it out on me, in front of other jaw dropped guests at the front-side of the hotel? I had just left the spa after a relaxing treatment and was met with this on edge young man saying that I lied to him about my schedule of being in the hotel that day, and that I was not ever allowed to park there again...kind of like a parking attendant bouncer. Even the other very efficient bellmen were looking a bit confused. I still really don't know what he was going on about, and it is still quite disturbing why a parking attendant would say anything remotely like this to any guest, nor treat them anyway other than warmly and courteously.???? I really began to believe he had something else going on in his life, and thought it best to leave instead of investigate and made a call to the front desk manager, and also the General Manager. Both were minimally responsive and only mildly apologetic. He said that he would check with the parking attendant/valet what happened...? He offered his assistance in the future if I needed any reservations made...? WHAT? ..For a hotel trying to break into the "Local" appeal, (I am a local and am with Guest Services at Aspen Snowmass), the prognosis is grim...I will not return to, nor can I recommend this huge monstrosity that looms over Snowmass Village with its big, empty restaurant, sparse unprofessional staff, confusing spa protocol, rude dictatorial parking staff, and idle real estate staff in the lobby. It really is a physically beautiful property with comfy rooms, lovely restaurant, and great ski access. BUT, they really need a new team of professional, united, and warm staff to give the Viceroy some soul. The Little Nell, St Regis, or Jerome blows this place out of the water. They really concentrate on the guest, AND the guest returning again and again........

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
GMViceroySnowmass, General Manager at Viceroy Snowmass, responded to this review, April 1, 2013
Ms McGeoughski

As you can see from all the TripAdvisor commentaries I receive I take them very personally and answer them myself. For those not so good ones I always reach out and ask them to contact me directly. Given we had already spoken it is very disappointing that your view differs from what I believed we discussed at length after your visit. After all I called you back personally as soon as I was aware you had had an issue.

I personally apologized for any miscommunication or umbrage created by my team and promised a review of the situation and that I would address it accordingly which I can assure you I undertook.

I would be more than pleased to discuss this further wish you at your leisure.

Hugh Templeman,

Been to Viceroy Snowmass? Share your experiences!