“A pretty face, but no personality” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 16 Hotels in Snowmass Village
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersGold level
Aspen, Colorado
“A pretty face, but no personality”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

I have been to the Viceroy many times. Each time flawed by something....slow restaurant service, warm prosecco, confusion with spa appointments, restaurant and front desk staff being chilly, generally unreceptive staff, and the final straw...the very rude parking attendant. He actually accused me of lying to him? He was obviously disgruntled about something and chose to take it out on me, in front of other jaw dropped guests at the front-side of the hotel? I had just left the spa after a relaxing treatment and was met with this on edge young man saying that I lied to him about my schedule of being in the hotel that day, and that I was not ever allowed to park there again...kind of like a parking attendant bouncer. Even the other very efficient bellmen were looking a bit confused. I still really don't know what he was going on about, and it is still quite disturbing why a parking attendant would say anything remotely like this to any guest, nor treat them anyway other than warmly and courteously.???? I really began to believe he had something else going on in his life, and thought it best to leave instead of investigate and made a call to the front desk manager, and also the General Manager. Both were minimally responsive and only mildly apologetic. He said that he would check with the parking attendant/valet what happened...? He offered his assistance in the future if I needed any reservations made...? WHAT? ..For a hotel trying to break into the "Local" appeal, (I am a local and am with Guest Services at Aspen Snowmass), the prognosis is grim...I will not return to, nor can I recommend this huge monstrosity that looms over Snowmass Village with its big, empty restaurant, sparse unprofessional staff, confusing spa protocol, rude dictatorial parking staff, and idle real estate staff in the lobby. It really is a physically beautiful property with comfy rooms, lovely restaurant, and great ski access. BUT, they really need a new team of professional, united, and warm staff to give the Viceroy some soul. The Little Nell, St Regis, or Jerome blows this place out of the water. They really concentrate on the guest, AND the guest returning again and again........

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
GMViceroySnowmass, General Manager at Viceroy Snowmass, responded to this review, April 1, 2013
Ms McGeoughski

As you can see from all the TripAdvisor commentaries I receive I take them very personally and answer them myself. For those not so good ones I always reach out and ask them to contact me directly. Given we had already spoken it is very disappointing that your view differs from what I believed we discussed at length after your visit. After all I called you back personally as soon as I was aware you had had an issue.

I personally apologized for any miscommunication or umbrage created by my team and promised a review of the situation and that I would address it accordingly which I can assure you I undertook.

I would be more than pleased to discuss this further wish you at your leisure.

Hugh Templeman,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
Tyler Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Upon arrival we were assigned a room with an adjoining door, but the lock between the rooms didn't function. We were given another room, in which the thermostat didn't function and the closet lightbulb was out. The repair man was prompt and quickly addressed both issues in our second room. While fixtures are top notch cleanliness was not. The shower floor was never clean, in either room. At this price point one would not expect theses issues. High end fixtures were nice, but overshadowed by the aforementioned.

The ski valet service was exceptional. They were the highlight of the hotel and made ski prep as easy as I have ever had. Tip: request a third floor room, you'll be close to the ski valet and pool area.

Another highlight was the fact that the Viceroy partners with Mercedes to provide complimentary transport around Snowmass, and the hotel is right next to free public transportation to Aspen. For our family the location was ideal. The room could have been ideal, had the staff paid attention to details ahead of time (locks, cleanliness, lightbulbs, the little things).

One final warning: don't make a reservation until you have read their ridiculous cancelation policy. Our arriving flight was cancelled due to weather, and we missed the first night of our trip, but Viceroy expected payment in full even though we called 24 hours prior to check-in to let them know about the flight problem. The management did give a room credit of 40% the next day. A spoonful of sugar for very expensive medicine.

Overall, I'd consider coming again but I'd also look at the other Snowmass slope side options as well.

• Stayed March 2013
GMViceroySnowmass, General Manager at Viceroy Snowmass, responded to this review, March 26, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to write about your recent stay with us here at the Viceroy Snowmass. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your experience in our ski valet as well as the complimentary rides around Snowmass Village provided by our partnership with Mercedes Benz. We look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

All the Best,

Memphis, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

My wife and I are on our final day at the Hotel. The stay has been incredible. The room is well decorated with current furnishings. The Subzero refrigerate, pass though fireplace between the den and the bedroom, the perfected straightening of the room twice a day, all add to the special touches presented at the Viceroy. The staff has been friendly and efficient. A special thanks to Leonardo and Steven for their kindness and hospitality. The view next to the slopes was breathtaking. It was quite enjoyable watching at levels of skiers pass right in front of our view. Special touches throughout the Hotel (the best hot chocolate around) and the warm welcome with each entrance made our time away from home one of the best ever. I would suggest this great value to anyone visiting the Snowmass/Aspen area.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
GMViceroySnowmass, General Manager at Viceroy Snowmass, responded to this review, March 11, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to write about your time spent here at the Viceroy Snowmass. I am very pleased that you enjoyed the wonderful amenities in your room, the daily hot cocoa in our lobby area and all of our other services offered throughout the property. We hope to welcome you back to the Viceroy Snowmass very soon so that we may continue our mission of ‘creating lifelong memories for you and your family’.

Warm Regards,

3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

I recently visited this Hotel, specifically the restaurant on the main level. I came there for a drink and appetizer and found the hostess staff to be particularly rude. My friend and I were in search of a comfortable place to get a late night drink and appetizer after a show in one of the ballrooms on this property and the staff was very reluctant to seat us in the main dining area insisting that those tables were reserved for full dinner guests. At that time, about 10 PM, there were many empty main dining room tables and no "dinner guests" lined up at the dooor. The bar and lounge areas were practically full and the staff seemed very indifferent to our needs. Luckily, two seats opened up at the bar and I just quickly took advantage of this opportunity. Later, a woman manager came up to discuss my concerns with me and I shared my annoyance with her staff. I also shared my surprise when I ordered a salad that was served with apple puree (applesause) at the bottom. I was just not expecting a salad with "applesauce" dressing.

While this hotel and restaurant are luxuriously decorated, I found the service and attention to be better at the more basically decorated Artisan Restaurant in the Stondbridge Inn closer to the mountain peak. In this case, less was more in terms of staff attentiveness and service.

Room Tip: I only dined at this hotel restaurant.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
GMViceroySnowmass, General Manager at Viceroy Snowmass, responded to this review, March 12, 2013
I would like to personally apologize for the experience you had while dining in our signature restaurant, EightK and for any confusion that may have taken place as to what our seating policy is. We have a custom menu for the EightK bar and Lounge area that is designed to cater to anyone not wanting a full meal in our dining room. I am however happy to hear that you were able to find seating at the bar to experience this menu after all was said and done. Please feel free to contact me personally if you would like to discuss this further.

Chugwater, Wyoming
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

My big things when looking for special-occasion (in this case first anniversary) accommodation is ambiance. The Viceroy is like in the pictures. I poured over many options between Aspen and Snowmass, and while plenty of places have the ambiance, few have the value Viceroy was offering in off-season. My husband and I enjoyed the big modern bathroom, comfy bed, fireplace, TVs, free wireless, and kitchenette for four days. I wouldn't want it as a condo to live in (tiny living space, no dining room), but it was lovely as a love nest. Also ate tasty meals a few nights at the restaurant as it was a total ghost town.

If anything, it felt a bit strange to be there at all among the condo developments that should-have-been, with all restaurants and shops closed (we spent most days eight miles away in Aspen). But Viceroy itself is lovely. The only negative was that they didn't really bother to heat the hot tub with so few people to enjoy it, but the fitness room was great. (Cheapskate alert: we parked in the city parking lot - empty in off-season - nearby and walked in. We felt like we were treated commensurate with the Hotwire price we paid, $105/night. Don't speed down the valley, there is a vigilant sheriff waiting for you!).

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Happy one year wedding anniversary! Thank you for choosing the Viceroy Snowmass to celebrate such a special occasion and for taking the time to write about your experience while you were here. I am so happy that you enjoyed the accommodations in the rooms and that you were able to experience the dinning that we offer right here on property. We look forward to welcoming you back for your 2nd anniversary!

Best,

Vail, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

currently staying at the viceroy and our stay hs been amazing! we are in a studio room and it is very nice, closets are spacious, small kitchen, the bathroom is of good size, and the decor of the hotel is great, it is modern and chic! the bar is very cool as well. the service is A+++!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
I am so happy to hear about how great your stay has been with us thus far. It sounds as though you are truly relaxed with the amenities offered by our outstanding rooms and it pleases me to know that you have been able to experience our wonderful service. We trust that you will continue to enjoy the remainder of your stay.

Warmest Regards,

Claremont, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

At the Viceroy, we were treated to exceptional service. From the airport pick up, check in to valet services. Everything went smoothly. The ski valets were GREAT! What a treat to have them help you take your boots off after a great and tiring day of skiing. We are spoiled forever.
The location is away from the main village area which maybe a plus depending on if you want a more quiet experience. We never heard our neighbors or any other noise during our stay. We didn't hear music, etc. from the pool area either since our room was on a wing away from that area. Getting to the main village area or any other place within Snowmass was no problem since the valets were available to take you anywhere. Most of the time they were available immediately. We never had to wait more than 5 minutes, except for one return ride. Their services were included in the resort fee.
The overall atmosphere is very chic. The pool/jacuzzi area was has cabanas with fire pits. We would definitely come back again.
On the negative, the kitchenette in our one bedroom suite is not really set up serious cooking. The space is small with only one med pan and pot, no chef's knife. Salt and pepper were the only things provided. Limited dishes and kitchen tools.The village market is close by with almost anything you may want, but things there were pricey. Th frig and freezer are large with plenty of room to store lots of drinks, etc.
One other negative is that our one bedroom unit is really set up for just a couple even though there is a sofabed in the living room. The bathroom, which is huge and luxurious, can only be accessed from the bedroom.

Room Tip: Get a two bedroom if you are more than two. Get a room away from the pool if you want quiet. Ther...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
We are delighted to hear that the service you experienced during your recent stay with us at the Viceroy Snowmass was “outstanding”. Thank you so much for taking the time to write about how much you enjoyed your experiences with our valet and ski valet services as well the transportation amenities we provide around Snowmass Village. We can’t wait for your return!

All the Best,

Hugh Templeman

Been to Viceroy Snowmass? Share your experiences!