First off, I have to say the staff incredibly nice and were the only great things about this hotel. They deem this to be a smoke free hotel, however, when we went to our room, it reeked of smoke. Come to find out, they are renovating the hotel to be smoke free, and they had only done the first floor. So we were moved to the first floor. During the switch, we were told that the rooms had been renovated, gotten new carpet and had flat screens. They gave us a pick between one of two rooms, and we went with the one that didn't stink, even though the odor of the other was still less than the first. NO flat screen. The bed was extremely comfortable, though. I slept like a rock. When I got up the next day, I happened to look in the corner, and if it was newer carpet, there wouldn't have been nearly as much crap in the corners as there was. I don't think it had been touched by a vacuum for a long time. I went to boil water in the microwave, and had to open and shut the door five or six times before it would even latch properly to turn off the light. Then I had to pray a little that it would work, instead of just sit there with the timer running down. I hit one of the automatic buttons to see if it was me....nope. I advised the front staff, and Megan was great. Fireplace in our room wouldn't work either, as main shutoff was off. Had to have maintenance man come and light the pilot. Didn't take advantage of the breakfast or the 2' deep "pool" so won't write on those. Told Megan I would be ok with a refund of our part, as we had used a certificate on this stay. Nope....still got charged. Kind of cranky about that. The fridge was also GROSS.
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.