“NOOOO” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Ocean Sands Beach Inn

You added Ocean Sands Beach Inn to your Saves list
Ocean Sands Beach Inn
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   3465 Coastal Highway, Vilano Beach, Saint Augustine, FL 32084   |
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Vilano Beach
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Springfield, Missouri
“NOOOO”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

We booked this online based on the reviews. While the staff was friendly the property was not. The room was supposed to have a nice view of the ocean/beach. We were put on the lower floor and when we opened the back door all I saw was a berm. We noticed a very mildewy smell when we walked in but just assumed it would fade as we got used to it. It Didn't! After about 30 minutes or so I had a terrible headache and my throat was swelling a little. (I am allergic to mold spores) We went to the front desk and told them and they offered us half price or to let us out of the booking at no charge to us and they apologized. I said we'd leave and thanked them for doing that without a problem. We went on our way and stayed elsewhere. No Problem... Then I got online to look at our Credit Card statement and noticed a posting on our card. Ocean Sands Beach Inn for the FULL PRICE of what our stay was going to be. I called the credit card company and told them that we cancelled the reservation for the mold issue and they just needed to contact the hotel and we'd figure it out. So we called the hotel and they promptly answered and asked what we needed. After explaining they put us on hold and left us there for 30-45 minutes. Thankfully my credit card attendant stayed on the line as my cell was disconnected. IN REVIEW...I'd highly recommend staying elsewhere!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
msample, General Manager at Ocean Sands Beach Inn, responded to this review, July 19, 2013
Thank you for your comments and I went back to review your reservation and it was definitely listed as a standard room and not an ocean view room, so I apologize for the confusion with the room type. We only have a limited number of ocean view rooms here and are happy to upgrade when the rooms are available, but on the night you booked the hotel was sold out and we had to honor the type of room you booked.

I also apologize for the musty smell you experienced and I remember checking the room myself after you checked out and discovered the air conditioning unit had been turned off all day. We definitely do not have any mold problem in the hotel and we have had our hotel professionally tested in the past. In addition, since your visit, we have installed two large central air conditioning systems for the public spaces and hallways to create positive pressure throughout the building to prevent any humidity from entering when guests leave the sliding doors open for extended periods.

Last, as far the charge on your credit card, as with all hotels, when you checked in we authorized the credit card to ensure there were adequate funds available for the potential charges, but with all authorizations you are not actually charged until you check out of the hotel. Authorizations will typically drop off the day after we issue the change in your status. I am happy that our staff was able to honor your request not to stay, despite the guaranteed room that we were not able to resell, and I do apologize for the confusion you encountered with seeing an authorization on your account and not an actual charge.

I have posted further pictures of our upgrades since your visit in June on this site and we have completed many additional projects including the upgraded air conditioning systems, new granite vanities in all the guestrooms, and new carpeting in the corridors and guestrooms. It is truly a very different hotel than when you were here in June. I would recommend booking early if you desire the ocean view rooms as they sell out very quickly and we are not able to offer upgrades on nights when we are sold out.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
Melrose, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

My friend and I stayed here and really enjoyed our stay. The room was clean and comfortable. The staff was friendly and helpful when we asked for directions. The breakfast they offer is more than expected with fresh waffles, scrambled eggs, hash-browns, and sausage. As well as bagels, english muffins, cereal and a variety of beverages. The pool looks a bit small at first glance but once you get in it is plenty big enough. Overall the hotel was very quiet which made it perfect for a getaway vacation. The best part is the location is perfect. The beach is within walking distance and it is close enough to all the attractions without being too close. I would definitely recommend this hotel to my family and friends.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Richmond Hill, Georgia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

My family and I really enjoyed our stay at Ocean Sands. It was clean and comfy. We liked that it was small and it was quiet. My kids loved the breakfast. It is directly across the road from the beach which was nearly empty and a lot of fun for kids and adults alike. The shells are beautiful!
The staff at the hotel were outstanding. Beverly was extremely kind and helpful with such a welcoming smile. Vanessa in housekeeping was nice and helpful in getting us towels since we brought our dog with us and didn't have cleaning service during our stay. The staff here is the best staff I have ever encountered at a hotel. :) Friendly people, nice little hotel, great beach access and not "touristy"! Loved it! :)

Interlachen, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

We can't say enough good things about Ocean sands Beach Inn. My husband, 2 children and myself really had a great time. The room was clean and comfortable. The hot breakfast was great and, there was something for everyone. The beach was beautiful and the pool was nice and relaxing. This is a nice and quiet place to stay. The hotel staff went above and beyond to accommodate my family after a reservation mix up with an online booking company. A special thanks to Beverly, Vanessa and the big boss. These people are very hospitable. Traveling advice always call the hotel you want to stay at and make the reservation yourself, rather than using one of the online booking agencies.They charge you more than what the hotel would and you are not guaranteed that you will have a room when you get there. Yes I will stay here again and I will recommend it to friends and family.

Room Tip: Top floor ocean view only . No elevators so if climbing stairs is a problem for you then you may no...
Keystone Heights, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

Stayed 2 nights in June with my 2 daughters we had a great stay. The rooms where nice and clean and the beach is very nice. Everyone at the hotel is very helpful and friendly. Hope to come stay again real soon.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

We came to St Augustine for the night and I wanted a place on the beach with a view of the ocean and this was great. The room was more then expected with a couch in it. Would stay in again! Great location too.

• Stayed July 2013
Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

Where to begin? First, the location is excellent. We wanted beach privacy, and that is what we got. In addition, we had a great view of the ocean with convenient access to the beach (to carry surfboards, boogie boards, canopy, chairs, cooler, and fishing gear). Yes, there was enough room for all of this in our room. The room was as clean as a beach hotel should be and we equipped to accommodate. The breakfast was good enough to cover our needs (I eat only Primal and had plenty of eggs and sausage). This hotel was also very convenient to dining, shopping, groceries, etc. St. Augustine is just over the bridge. However, what impacted us the most was the welcome and hospitality of the staff, especially Beverly and Vanessa. We felt like family with how they treated us. They know hospitality! We would come back just because of them. We will be here again.

Room Tip: Ocean view rooms on the 2nd floor are the best.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Been to Ocean Sands Beach Inn? Share your experiences!