“Ooooh Aaaah Join The Fun, here at the Lost Valley Ranch!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Lost Valley Ranch

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Sedalia
Lost Valley Ranch
29555 Goose Creek Road, Sedalia, CO 80135   |
Ranked #1 of 1 hotels in Sedalia
Grand Rapids, MI
“Ooooh Aaaah Join The Fun, here at the Lost Valley Ranch!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2009

Lost Valley Ranch is the perfect destination for families with kids of all ages. I have two teenagers, a 12 year old and a nine year old and they all had a blast. The activities and staff were outstanding to go along with the beautiful setting in the middle of Pike National Forest in the heart of Colorado.

The "dude ranch" rustic setting was offset by great food (my wife is vegetarian and they made special meals for her), a pool and hot tubs - a necessity after a hard day of riding. In addition to horseback riding through the mountains (which was awesome and geared for all experience levels), the hiking was unbelievable. There are at least five marked trails that summit to five unique views that take your breath away - in more way than one!

We also had fishing, trap shooting, s'mores for the kids and a talented staff that entertained almost every night. My daughters loved the square dance, volleyball, capture the flag and the infamous egg toss. But, what really sets the Lost Valley Ranch apart is the staff.

I have never experienced a more thoughtful, caring and attentive group of young adults in my life at any location anywhere. They truly are amazing and my kids loved them too. It was just the type of "safe danger" that they needed and they really bonded with the staff. We cannot wait to go back again next year and I HIGHLY recommend the Lost Valley Ranch for any family that is looking for a truly memorable vacation experience that you will not soon forget. Ooooh Aaaah!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family

111 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
North Central Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2009

Once you find Lost Valley, you will want to return. This is truely a special place. We visited during the last week of July 2009 with our three kids: two teenagers and a nine year old. Each of us had the best vacation we've ever had as a family. The crew members of the ranch were so kind and friendly. They had learned our names after the first day and we were always greeted with a "yes sir, or yes ma'am." This is the only lodge I've ever visited where they did not give you a key to your cabin, you didn't need it. The food was excellent, the horse riding, and kids activities were incredibly fun. There were lots of trails to hike, games to play, a square dance, a staff meoldrama to watch, or you could choose to do absolutely nothing. There is no T.V. or cell phone coverage, so you really do get to relax and unwind and enjoy your time at the ranch. There is wifi service at the main lodge. Each family gets to design their own "family brand" which you get to brand on the lodge on Saturday afternoon. Walt Disney's is on the wall too! We met families who return every year, and simply enjoy this wonderful dude ranch. One family had returned 24 times! This is a "family ranch", so they do not serve alcohol, however, you are free to have whatever you like in your cabin with your friends. The ranch specializes in catering to all sorts of riders, so if you are a beginner or an expert or in between, they have trail guides and lessons for each type of rider.

I highly recommend Lost Valley Ranch for your next family vacation.

Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2009

Whether or not you are a horse lover, there is something for everyone at Lost Valley. We have been back many times, and each trip gets better. The staff is exceptional at making everyone feel welcome

Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2009

If you are looking for a Colorado Dude ranch look no further. This place is fantastic! The rooms, food, staff, facilities, horses are all tops. The horse rides (2/day if you want) were all fun and matched to appropriate skill levels. My kids (6, 12, 14 yrs old) had wranglers assigned to their age groups with other kids and besides the horse riding, the kid activities were a blast (according to my kids). I can't recommend Lost Valley Ranch enough and we all look forward to going back. And, the fly fishing was great!

Philadelphia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2009

We started going to Lost Valley 4 years ago. In these tougher economic times, as a family, we have agreed that if we have to get rid of all vacations, the last one to go will be our annual trip to Lost Valley Ranch.

You just can't put words to the total experience. From the exhilaration of riding horses to relaxing in the middle of incredible scenery to skeet shooting to hiking to fun family times, this place is exactly what we want. Cell phone and blackberries do not work there (unless you climb up a nearby peak) and there are no TV's around. All the money is spent on great food, staff, horses and other accommodations (wifi is available), and that's a good thing.

Every year, I enjoy observing folks that are out for the first time. I t takes a couple hours to warm up to the cowboys outfits and the events and there are the occasional skeptical spouses/kids. Within a day, those same people have a smile on their face and are praising their experiences and that positive impact it is having on them and their family.

My wife and I say that this is the one week we don't worry about the kids. We see them plenty and have fun as a family, but at the same time, they are having a blast with their peers and the amazing staff that are fun, yet responsible.

The staff they hire are multi-talented. There are music performances and a pretty funny play and all sorts of entertaining activities that will keep you engaged the entire time. I always decide to take on a pretty rigorous schedule of riding, hiking, etc., but somehow I feel refreshed at the end of the week and restored by the time I come home.

There is this moral underpinning that I appreciate in all the staff (without exception). It's not that it's awkward and/or prudish, but I know that I can trust these people. They are genuinely honest and thoughtful and hard-working and good. It motivates me to be a better person every time I leave for home.

This is worth your money (it will be worth mine as long as it lasts).

Fairfax, VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2009

I started visiting LVL with my family some 30 years ago. We were regular annual guests in the 1980's, took the 1990's off as everyone went their own way and started families of their own, and have been going back again every other year this decade. My extended family ranges in age from 70's to 7 months. It doesn't matter what age everyone has an absolute blast.

This is traditional western family fun. The staff are very friendly and attentive and love to be around children. The children's and Teen's programs are first rate. Warning - your children/teens will cry when you leave.

The food is excellent, the accomodations are very comfortable, and the horses and rides are some of the most adventurous and fun you will go on - regardless of your experience level. I have been on the "Easy Riders" beginner rides with my wife where we walked/trotted through fields of wildflowers and groves of Aspen and iIhave been on rides with the advanced riders where loping and jumping logs as you wind your way through the trees is the order of the day. There is also an all day ride that usually involves trying to find some of the ranches cattle and then driving them to another part of the ranch. if you are lucky enough to find the buggers you are in for a treat, but even if you don't it is still a beautiful ride.

There is entertainment from the staff almost every night and a square dance. Some city "sophisticates" might think this is a bit old fashioned for their tastes but the singing is first rate, and it is a load of wholesome fun.

I have visited other guest ranches in the US and Canada, and I have never been to one close to LVL in any way you choose to compare. It is pricey, no doubt. But it is nice that in this case you get everything you pay for and more. You're on the American Plan so everything you eat is covered in your overall cost. The high percentageof yearly returning guests I think says more than anything else I can.

Pikeville, KY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2009

My husband and I visited the Lost Valley Ranch on May 31 through June 6, 2009. This is a wonderful place, and is suitable for all ages from infants to 80 year olds who can sit on a horse. They have programs for all ages. The atmosphere here is so welcoming. All of the staff love their jobs, and it shows. They take pride in everything that they do. They will go out of their way to make their guests comfortable. We stayed in a one bedroom duplex cabin that had a separate living room with a real fireplace and a refrigerator. The bedroom had a very comfortable king sized bed with lots of closet and drawer space and a sink/vanity. The bathroom had a shower/tub combination and another sink vanity. The cabin staff keeps the rooms extra clean. The wranglers pick your horse and match it to your ability, but if you want to change horses during the week, they have plenty to choose from. The wranglers have so much patience with the guests. I had not ridden a horse in over 10 years, so I was a bit frightened at first. By the end of the week, I was "posting a trot" and "sitting a lope" with the best of them. We even got to go on a cattle drive, which my husband loved. The cooking/waitri(?) staff are very accommodating. If you do not want what is on the menu, they will fix you something else; however, the food that they served was delicious, and I am a very picky eater. Their entertainment: rodeo, square dance, melodrama, etc. was wonderful. One of the owners, Karen Foster is a very nice lady. She really welcomes you to her home. I did not get the chance to be introduced to Bob Foster. Their location is a little bit out of the way, 9 miles of dirt road, and this is a pretty pricey vacation, but their prices are comparable with the other ranches in the area. I highly recommend Lost Valley Ranch to anyone who is looking for a Guest/Dude Ranch vacation. You will not be sorry that you went.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Lost Valley Ranch? Share your experiences!