“Best in the West, ooo-ahhhh!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Lost Valley Ranch

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Sedalia
Lost Valley Ranch
You added Lost Valley Ranch to your Saves list
29555 Goose Creek Road, Sedalia, CO 80135   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Sedalia
Fairfax, VA
“Best in the West, ooo-ahhhh!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2009

I started visiting LVL with my family some 30 years ago. We were regular annual guests in the 1980's, took the 1990's off as everyone went their own way and started families of their own, and have been going back again every other year this decade. My extended family ranges in age from 70's to 7 months. It doesn't matter what age everyone has an absolute blast.

This is traditional western family fun. The staff are very friendly and attentive and love to be around children. The children's and Teen's programs are first rate. Warning - your children/teens will cry when you leave.

The food is excellent, the accomodations are very comfortable, and the horses and rides are some of the most adventurous and fun you will go on - regardless of your experience level. I have been on the "Easy Riders" beginner rides with my wife where we walked/trotted through fields of wildflowers and groves of Aspen and iIhave been on rides with the advanced riders where loping and jumping logs as you wind your way through the trees is the order of the day. There is also an all day ride that usually involves trying to find some of the ranches cattle and then driving them to another part of the ranch. if you are lucky enough to find the buggers you are in for a treat, but even if you don't it is still a beautiful ride.

There is entertainment from the staff almost every night and a square dance. Some city "sophisticates" might think this is a bit old fashioned for their tastes but the singing is first rate, and it is a load of wholesome fun.

I have visited other guest ranches in the US and Canada, and I have never been to one close to LVL in any way you choose to compare. It is pricey, no doubt. But it is nice that in this case you get everything you pay for and more. You're on the American Plan so everything you eat is covered in your overall cost. The high percentageof yearly returning guests I think says more than anything else I can.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Pikeville, KY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2009

My husband and I visited the Lost Valley Ranch on May 31 through June 6, 2009. This is a wonderful place, and is suitable for all ages from infants to 80 year olds who can sit on a horse. They have programs for all ages. The atmosphere here is so welcoming. All of the staff love their jobs, and it shows. They take pride in everything that they do. They will go out of their way to make their guests comfortable. We stayed in a one bedroom duplex cabin that had a separate living room with a real fireplace and a refrigerator. The bedroom had a very comfortable king sized bed with lots of closet and drawer space and a sink/vanity. The bathroom had a shower/tub combination and another sink vanity. The cabin staff keeps the rooms extra clean. The wranglers pick your horse and match it to your ability, but if you want to change horses during the week, they have plenty to choose from. The wranglers have so much patience with the guests. I had not ridden a horse in over 10 years, so I was a bit frightened at first. By the end of the week, I was "posting a trot" and "sitting a lope" with the best of them. We even got to go on a cattle drive, which my husband loved. The cooking/waitri(?) staff are very accommodating. If you do not want what is on the menu, they will fix you something else; however, the food that they served was delicious, and I am a very picky eater. Their entertainment: rodeo, square dance, melodrama, etc. was wonderful. One of the owners, Karen Foster is a very nice lady. She really welcomes you to her home. I did not get the chance to be introduced to Bob Foster. Their location is a little bit out of the way, 9 miles of dirt road, and this is a pretty pricey vacation, but their prices are comparable with the other ranches in the area. I highly recommend Lost Valley Ranch to anyone who is looking for a Guest/Dude Ranch vacation. You will not be sorry that you went.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2009

We have just returned from Lost Valley Ranch where we have vacationed since our children were young. As usual, we are counting the days until we return! The ranch setting is absolutely incredible, nestled in the middle of Pike National Forest, and the staff and owners provide above-and-beyond service for every need and request. The cabins are spacious, decorated beautifully western and are spotlessly clean. The views are also tremendous, both from the cabin windows and on horseback. The riding program is excellent for all levels with lots of variation in types of rides and wonderful instruction . The non-rider has plenty to do between the pool, tennis courts, hiking trails, activities, and fishing. Our son caught several trout from the well-stocked ponds and was thrilled to have his catch deliciously prepared for him for dinner. Everyone could choose their own pace and actually relax! Our family has teenagers and elementary-aged children, and it's often difficult for a vacation to please the whole group, but at Lost Valley, everyone was happy. Everything about our vacation was absolutely excellent. If you want lifetime memories and a get-away into the beautiful Colorado mountains with more comforts than home, this is the place!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
near Pittsburgh PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2007

Just back from my 12th vacation at Lost Valley Ranch. First trip was in 1997, and try to return annually at least once and sometimes twice. Truly, I never consider going anywhere else on vacation, because I can not imagine not going the ranch.

What makes this place so wonderful? Easy: the owners and staff. You will never meet more accommodating, pleasant, and truly GOOD people. If you have children, you would be delighted for them to experience the example of maturity and morality of the young adults who work there ... office staff, cabin crew, kitchen crew, maintenance crew, wranglers. Heck, as an adult, I enjoy being around such great folks. (You will be AMAZED how they know and call all the guests by name.)

The riding program is fantastic. The horses are raised and training by the ranch and are well disciplined. I know of no other place that takes as good of care of their horses. Never ridden before? Neither had I. You'll be matched with an appropriate horse, and the wranglers truly take care of everything: saddling, helping you up onto the horse, teaching you how to ride. Additionally, they will tailor rides to the special needs (e.g., physical limitations) of guests. You can opt to go on a ride that'll have you loping through the hills and navigating challenging terrain; or you can go with a group that will take it easier. There is always an option of groups with which to ride, and you can switch among them according to the whim of what you feel like at the moment.

What if you don't ride horses? You'll still love being there. There are other activities such as fishing, trap shooting, square dancing (which is a hoot even if you have never danced a step in your life) called by professionals. A week at the ranch is a week wonderfully away from the rest of the world. Having no telephones or TVs in the cabins is fantastic!

Speaking of the cabins ... you'll never find better accommodations. Creative decor. A wood-burning fireplace (with firewood kept in plentiful supply outside your cabin door).

You may have heard of the Hayman Fire in 2002. If you ever want to walk through physical evidence of a miracle, you must go to the ranch. All the experts say it defies everything they know about forest fires ... how the massive wall of flames opened up as it passed the ranch and closed back together once it was past the property ... how the horses (and three staff who stayed) had any air to breathe as it passed by given how such a fire sucks all of the oxygen out of its surroundings. Most amazing is the sign at the property line at the far end of the valley --- half gone (burned up) and half pristine, not even smoke charred. A pile of firewood and wooden entertainment structure 20 yards inside the property line were untouched, while the trees right up to the outside of the property line were burned. The sparing of the ranch can only be the (well-earned) protection of God. It is as though He put his hand over the valley and said, "No, you can not take this; it is mine."

I have found that the fire has not diminished any experience at the ranch.

As if I haven't already, I could go on and on raving about Lost Valley Ranch. Perhaps the best testimonial is the number of return guests.

Speaking of return guests, my parents had gone to the ranch in 1962 (I believe its first year of operation by the Foster Family). Their dedication to raising two children precluded their returning; however, my brother and I certainly knew of Lost Valley Ranch because they never quit talking about how wonderful it was. Well, in 1997 (my first year there), they returned. One of the greastest pleasures to them, besides the ranch itself, was how it hadn't changed. By the end of my first day there, I told them, "Now I see why you always wanted to come back."

• Liked — The owners and staff and the atmosphere they create.
  • Disliked — That the experience had to come to an end and I had to return to reality.
  • Stayed May 2007
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Lost Valley Ranch? Share your experiences!