“Excellent value” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #9 of 15 Hotels in Salida
Albuquerque, New Mexico
“Excellent value”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

Very pleasant staff, very clean room. I stayed there twice. The first night was far away from main road and was quiet, very clean and large. I stayed the second time closer to road. Still very satisfied, but more road noise. For the price I paid, this was an excellent value.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Van Buren
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

We found this place on Booking.com but, only, had the cellphone when we stopped for coffee and decided to call the place and see if they would honor the website price. They did. This is a great little motel with super rates. The staff is so congenial and couldn't have been more helpful. Our room was super clean, bed was comfy, with 4 GREAT pillows. Everything, in the room, was very clean. The bathroom had a jacuzzi, which we made use of. We would, definitely, stay here the next time we're in the area.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
GatewayInnSalida, Manager at Gateway Inn & Suites Salida, responded to this review, May 11, 2013
Thank You for taking the time to write such a wonderful review. We appreciate your business and look forward to seeing you again! Theresa
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

My husband and I stayed at Gateway Inn & Suites Salida over the weekend.
Great hotel! Great rates! Great and friendly staff. Could not be more pleased with our stay. Thank you Gateway Inn & Suites Salida.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
GatewayInnSalida, Guest Relations Manager at Gateway Inn & Suites Salida, responded to this review, May 2, 2013
I'm so glad you enjoyed your stay! Thank you so much for the review, and we hope to see you again!
Colorado Springs
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

A climbing partner selected this hotel, so I went along with her suggestion. I arrived after 10:00 PM and ski kids were still partying and LOUD. To the credit of the hotel staff, they indeed brought the party kids under control once we called the front desk requesting their help doing so. I pulled back the bedspread and there was a nasty stain on the blanket on the bed I was sleeping in. There is no way that housekeeping could not have noticed this stain. Gross.

There are plenty of places to stay in Salida. I will cross THIS hotel off my list!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
I'm sorry that there were so many loud kids here on your visit, but I am glad the staff was able to get them under control. Spring break is a tough time to keep noise down. With regards to the stain on the blanket in your room; the housekeeper who missed that stain has been reprimanded and the blanket is now out of use.
I do hope if you ever come to Salida again, you give us another chance.
Denver world travelers
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

We stayed here just one night (thankfully) on a ski getaway. We are locals from Denver.

Positives:
1. Helpful and friendly staff
2. Great water pressure - an item I tend to notice as we travel a fair amount
3. Pretty quiet given that it is motel architecture. Our room was on the upper level and furthest at the end so that probably helped - no people stomping past our room. I am pretty sure other rooms are not as quiet or peaceful.
4. The breakfast area is cute and kept nice and clean

Negatives:
1.Bathroom. THERE WAS NO STAND UP SHOWER IN THE ROOM. I am not making this up. We use Tripadvisor religiously to help pick hotels whenever we travel, and that is how we settled on Gateway Inn given its good reviews for the limited choices in Salida. I was surprised to find no shower in the room, just a hand shower attachment in the Jacuzzi tub. I guess they figure for the Honeymoon Suite it's romantic to have one person hold the thing over their partner's head while he/she bathes? I didn't see this significant omission in any of the traveler reviews or on the hotel website, nor did the staff say anything about it. So...surprise. The only saving grace was that the water pressure and temperature regulation were both excellent, unlike many hotels that just seem to be weak compared to our home. However for $160 per night charge it was a disappointment. The price was probably high given we were there during spring break high season week. Another disappointment was that the Jacuzzi was so small. My husband is 6'0" and I am 5'3" and there is no way we could both fit in there together without folding ourselves into human Origami. The "champagne" offered with the room is Andre. No offense to Andre drinkers but come on Gateway Inn & Suites. For what we paid couldn't you at least spring for Freixenet or Korbel at $10-12? Seriously. We did not even open it.

2. Breakfast. Sigh. OK so we knew going into it that it was not exactly going to be a lavish spread, but the hard boiled eggs (thank you for protein, though) were of the green-ring-around-yolk caliber. Pastries ran out pretty quickly and not replenished. Mini bagels were cute and looked fresh, though we did not partake. Waffle iron for making your own waffles was nice, though we don't eat those. Fresh apples, oranges, and bananas were plentiful. Coffee was good given that it was drip-diner style but creamer choices were powdered canister food-service crap or sugary flavored liquid stuff. We ended up just using the 2% milk dispenser to lighten our coffee. For waffle-eaters they provided a nice selection of syrups: maple, strawberry, blueberry and one other one I can't remember. Oatmeal is instant to which you can add hot water and/or the milk and microwave. Additionally they offer 2 generic cereals that looked like Froot Loops and Corn Flakes.

3. Bedding and temp control. The choice was either just the sheet or the heavy comforter, nothing in between. Even with turning down the thermostat in the room (which took a bit of figuring out as there were two controls that did not seem to affect either of the wall units from what we could tell) we were alternately too cold or too hot all night long. It would be good if they provided a light in-between type blanket like other places do especially during shoulder season weather like March. A nitpicky item: the channel listing provided is inaccurate. We had to flip through channels on the TV one by one to see which channel was which.

All in all if we do ever go back to the Salida area we probably would not go to this place again. Not because of the people, who seemed very nice, or the cleanliness which was fine, but because of the above items.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at a far end to minimize traffic going past your door and windows.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
West Lafayette, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

Lobby and breakfast room are very fancy with nice wooden furniture. Breakfast room equipped with all the essentials for a good breakfast. Stayed here with my family and the room was very clean and pleasant. There is also a new hot tub that is extremely nice, lights, radio, speakers... Enjoyed that a lot! Employees were very friendly as well. Definitely would recommend this hotel to anyone passing through Salida!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
I'm so happy you had a great stay! We have all enjoyed the new hot tub, and all of us at the desk have a great time showing off all the features it has! Thank you so much for your kind words and we hope to see you again!
Oklahoma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

My young son, his wife, and young baby just made a trip (850 miles) and passed through Salida. Because of financial constraints they intended to drive straight through.... but by the time they made it near Salida, they were tired, it was getting dark, some bad weather.... me as Grandpa was worried about them driving over the Monarch in the dark and bad weather... while tired.
I found hotel information for Salida... and while most were out of the price range for my kids, the Gateway Inn offered a room that they could afford...... I spoke with Teresa on the phone, she was very kind, and set everything up for them.... the kids said that the stay was pleasant.
I have no way of knowing if they would have made the rest of the journey (4 more hours) with or without problems... but I am very glad that there was a place available that they could afford... and also appreciated the courteous manner in which arrangements were made. Thanks!!!
We travel through there regularly... and it will be on the list for the future as a place to stop and rest for the night.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
GatewayInnSalida, Guest Relations Manager at Gateway Inn & Suites Salida, responded to this review, March 11, 2013
Thank you for your review. We were happy to help out with your situation. I'm glad to hear that Teresa was so helpful, I'll be sure to pass on the compliment! Looking forward to see you in the future!
Tina

Been to Gateway Inn & Suites Salida? Share your experiences!