“Owner Makes Good” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Salida Inn & Monarch Suites

Save Saved
You added Salida Inn & Monarch Suites to your Saves list
Salida Inn & Monarch Suites
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   7310 W. US Hwy. 50, Salida, CO 81201 (Formerly Americas Best Value Inn)   |
Ranked #3 of 15 Hotels in Salida
colorado
“Owner Makes Good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

"Ride the Rockies" was scheduled to overnight in Salida, CO, on June 13th. A month prior, I searched the Web for motels. There was only one room I could find in the whole town - at Salida Inn and Monarch Suites. I booked it online and felt very pleased at the reasonable price. Three hours later I got an email from the web vendor canceling my reservation! I was crushed. My daughter, son-in-law, and two friends were on the Ride. Next morning I called the Salida Inn direct. Mike, the owner, listened to my sad story, and said, let me see what I can do. We're renovating the motel. I'll call you back. 20 minutes later, after talking to his contractors, he booked me in a King bed room at the same online price. Don't worry, he said, it's all taken care of. Your room will be totally renovated by the time you get here.
We arrived on June 13th, and with no hassle checked in early. Everything was redone, clean, and comfortable. Altho the motel was full, it was quiet, and Mike and Jay were very accommodating and friendly. We enjoyed our brief stay, but most of all appreciate Mike's going way beyond the call, to make good on the reservation. That's the kind of service that's rare these days!!

Room Tip: There are several rooms in back adjacent to the pool that are off the main street. Also ask about t...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Mike E, Owner at Salida Inn & Monarch Suites, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
I remember youuuu - to borrow the words from an old song, gee, I hope I didn't just reveal my age :)

Thank you so very much for your kind review. Here at Salida Inn & Monarch Suites, our Motto, is
"Creating new friends, one guest at a time".

We will bend over backwards to provide a pleasant stay for our friends.

Mike

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Evergreen, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

We stayed in this hotel for a few days and the staff was very friendly. The room was very clean and fresh. The bathroom had all you needed and there was a refrigerator and microwave also. There were also doing more renovations on the place. We will stay here again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Mike E, Owner at Salida Inn & Monarch Suites, responded to this review, May 24, 2013
Suzanne

Thanx for you nice review. My staff and I really appreciate it. We work xtra hard to make sure everyone has a pleasant stay. We will all look forward to seeing you guys again.
Breckenridge, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

We stayed in this hotel for the weekend. We found that the service for the hotel was some of the best service we have received in any hotel. The room was clean and in good shape. The location was great for biking the Methodist trail system in Salida. We could leave right from your room.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Mike E, Owner at Salida Inn & Monarch Suites, responded to this review, May 21, 2013
Petie,

Thanx so much for your great review. My staff and I like to think of our guests as friends and we treat everyone just that way. I hope you and your friend come back and see us soon. We will look forward to it.

West Lawn, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

I stayed in a newly renovated room which was huge and spotless. The bed was comfortable. The linens were soft and the pillows fluffy. The bathroom was also large and comfortable. It was quiet at night, which made for good sleeping. There were incredible views of the mountains from my windows. I enjoyed the continental breakfast in the lobby in the morning because it was convenient, quick, and more than ample. The muffins were great! The new owner, Mike, and his staff is very friendly and accommodating. No request seems to be too much trouble for them. I'm looking forward to staying here again and recommend it highly.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Mike E, Owner at Salida Inn & Monarch Suites, responded to this review, April 30, 2013
Hello and thank you for your kind review.

It is nice to know that guests are noticing all of our upgrades and changes.

Before I purchased this hotel, I took the time to read ALL of the Trip Advisor reviews that were available and after I purchased, I began making improvements based on those reviews.

One guest for example wrote in a review that the rooms are noisy and one can hear the neighbors.

One of the first upgrades I made was to completely rebuild the walls between rooms with all new Insulation, and an acoustic panel on both sides to decrease noise penetration and the insulation should help keep the rooms warmer and/or cooler based on the season.

So, I am happy that you enjoyed your stay here at my hotel and hopefully you will return one day and see us again.

Mike, Owner
Huntington Beach, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

We stayed here one night and I was so happy to leave first thing in the morning! Driving up to this place made me queezie..unfortunatly my mother in law already paid for our rooms.

There's random trash and junk laying all over the place. Our room smelt like something died in it with a odor of stale ciggarettes. Our 'clean' towels that were hanging up in the bathroom had disgusting crusty stuff smeared on them, so we opted to use the towels we had packed. There were three spiders in the bathtub, the water wouldn't get hot for about 10 minutes of running it, animal scratches on the bathroom door, a big hold in one of the doors, broken lighting in the bathroom, random brown splats of something on the wall, the cocking on the tub was all off and nasty looking.

I will NEVER stay here again, and I would NEVER recommend anyone staying at this dump.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Mike E, Owner at Salida Inn & Monarch Suites, responded to this review, May 1, 2013
I am sorry that you found this unit to be so terrible as it is one of our most popular units due to it's location behind the main hotel,with i'st total privacy and beautiful mountain views. I would not have stayed in the room you are describing and would have notified the front desk of my dislike immediately.

It is a shame that you were not the person who booked the room and also not the person who checked in because with your great attention to detail, I am sure you would have noticed the great big sign on the front desk and heard my greeting both of which state,

"If you are unhappy with your room for any reason, or have any problems at all, kindly let us know".

Since no one in your group complained to us about anything during your short stay we had no way of knowing you were unhappy. Had we known, we would have immediately changed your rooms.

As you are probably aware, I sent a letter to the person who DID BOOK the room and WHO DID CHECK IN - the mourning after you all checked out and apologized for her being unhappy with the room as checkout was the only time I heard about any of your complaints.

I also apologized that you all missed the clearly stated Pet Policy as we were unaware of the two dogs you had in the room with you.

Here at our small hotel, we have spent well over $200,000 in the last six months in remodeling and upgrades, so I am disheartened by the fact that you call our ENTIRE HOTEL "A DUMP", not just the room that you stayed in. It is a shame you didn't give us (me) a chance to appease you while you were here. It would have given me the opportunity to put you in a different room so that your opinion of the ENTIRE HOTEL would not be lumped in with your small piece of it.

We believe that hospitality is a two way communication between you (the Guest) and us the owners. We can't solve your problems if we aren't advised there are any.

Mike, the Owner
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

We stopped here for a night to break up a journey. It's one of the cheaper hotels in town and you get great value for money as it's better than average for a budget hotel.

It's in a decent location on the highway. The staff are very friendly. The room was large, comfortable and quiet. The wifi worked well. The breakfast was pretty small and basic but we weren't hungry so we didn't bother with it. We wouldn't hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Choccy,

I just wanted to say thanx for your review. I remember you folks and the short conversation we had about your stay here is the US and at our hotel. I enjoyed it very much. I am glad I didn't offend when I tried to guess where you were from - oopps. :).

Seriously, thanx again for the review and if you ever come back this way, I'd love for you to stay again.

Salida, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Every Time I get to Denver for business, I drive down to Salida to get a few days skiing in before heading back. I have stayed at almost every hotel in Salida at least once. This past weekend will be my 3rd time at ABVI, soon to become Salida Inn & Monarch Suites. It just keeps getting better. The rooms are large, spotlessly clean, and comfortable and the owner is in the process of remodeling the entire place. It's beginning to look more like a Lodge than a Motel. The staff are attentive, always asking if I need anything. It's nice to know I'm not forgotten once I check in. The new manager, Mike, a retired RN has some great photos of Ground Zero just after 911 where he operated a Triage/First Aide center out of a Bombed out store front. He doesn't share these with everyone, but by my second visit to the hotel, it seemed like we were old friends. It's nice to stay with friends when your away from home.

Room Tip: There are two main buildings at the hotel. One faces the highway, the other is on the side and as on...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Isitall,

Thanx for you great review and for letting my cat out of the bag about ground zero. Just kidding. I am proud of the fact that I could put my nursing education to good use and at the time, the best use was there at ground zero. An entire group of us, all from different hospitals were happy to help out and glad we could assist.

Thanx for all of your great comments about the hotel and my staff. They work hard each day to make sure your stay is comfortable.

I will pass your comments along to my head house keeper who makes it a point to memorize all my guests first names before she heads to clean the rooms. She says she enjoys the look on guests faces when she know them by name.

Mike

Been to Salida Inn & Monarch Suites? Share your experiences!