“Rude owner!” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 16 Hotels in Salida
arkansas
“Rude owner!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2009

Was passing thru and stopped at the Days Inn so I could use my rewards points. The young lady at the counter seemed very nice. I booked it over the phone while I was standing in the lobby. After booking, I was checking in and the owner(can't remember his name) in a very rude tone, said that because i used my rewards points that I owed him $2.75 in tax. Thought it was strange but OK I'll pay. I only had a hundred dollar bill so I asked him I could Pay after I went out to eat as I would have change then. He said OK and then said he need my credit card number?! "Why?" I asked. He said it was in case we smoked or tore up the room. I was getting really angry at this point but I couldn't leave because I had used my rewards points. He obviously could since my anger and piercing glares at him as I explained I do not do those kinds of things and I would be leaving by 7am. to go home. He finally backed down. I don't know what his problem was but he certainly needs some education in guest relations!! Later that evening my husband pays the $2.75. to the girl at the front desk. The next morning as I was checking out the man confronts me in the lobby with several guests eating breakfast. "Hey, you owe me $2.75!" "we paid it last night"! I said. Again, had to argue with this rude, unprofessional man. Needless to say we won't stay here again, many other nice hotels in the area.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
kansas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2009

Arrived approximately 5:30 to check-in. I had reserved the room prior to arrival using trip rewards points. I was informed there would be an additional $10 charge plus tax and fees (approx. $12) because we had one more person in our party than the room had been booked for. (OK. no problem.) so i paid the $12 or so and went back outside to park my pickup and atv trailer. Since we were going to be leaving in 15 minutes to eat, I parallel parked in the front using 3 of the east stalls. (there were no cars parked in front of the motel at this time). Before I could get out of my truck, one of the owners (think his name is Mark), came walking out the front door, shaking his head with both his hands up in the air. I thought this was tremendously rude. I asked him if there was something wrong, he instructed me in a rather harsh manner that I needed to park in the back. (OK. no problem. all you have to do is ask. no need to get irrate about it) So, he walked through the motel to the back of the property as I pulled around to park in the back. Once around back, I did not see him initially, as he was standing behind a fenced in area (guessing it contained a trash dumpster or something). By the time I spotted him, I was maybe 20 feet past him. He shook his head at me and threw both his hands up in the air AGAIN. I went ahead and backed into the space he wanted me to park in. There were no other cars in the back parking lot. I'm not sure why he was so angry. After parking, he asked if we were going to unhook the trailer for the night? I responed that I was going to leave it locked onto the hitch of my pickup, so that it couldn't be stolen as easily, because we had 2 expensive 4 wheelers on the trailer. He acted half mad about that too. Overall, I'm not sure what his problem was. Maybe he had a bad day, or maybe he is just a grumpy guy. Either way, I don't think it is appropriate to take it out on customers or berate anyone, just because you don't like where they park, etc......not to mention it is poor business practice. If I had not reserved the room using triprewards points (i.e. non-refundable & non-cancelable), I would have handed my key back to them and instructed them not to charge my card, and proceeded to drive to another motel that would appreciate my business. I definetly would NOT recommend staying at this motel to anyone.

• Stayed August 2009
new jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2009

On a cross country trip. Stayed for 1 night wish it could have been longer. I've stayed at Days Inn before and was a little concerned. They are usually a bit basic to shabby. Wow what a pleasant surprise. Arriving late we were greeted by one of the owners Anna who checked us in fast and got us to our room right away. Okay so the room was a little small but very nice . Not your standard hotel room . There were murals and faux finishes done by the owners and it was nicely appointed. Quietest room ever in a motel that turned out to be packed with guests. Nice toiletries and good linens. Had free but typical breakfast in cutely decorated lobby and nice chat with other owner Bill? don't remember his name. The grounds were nicely landscaped with lots of plants and statues and there was a hot tub in back in a nice private area. The Days Inn people should send the owners of other motels here to see how to do it right.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Münster
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2009

We recently stayed in this beautiful, family-owned Days Inn in Salida, Co.
Due to the low price and the numerous awards, this hotel seemed to be very attractive. However, our expectations were significantly exceeded:
~ the rooms were recently updated and are immaculately clean,
~ there are very comfortable beds,
~ and the outdoor facility is in very good condition.

To sum it up: we had a great night in this lovely hotel for an unbeatable price.

P.s.: Try Quincy's -- the steaks are really delicious!
Greetings to Mark & the German Dog 'Oscar'

Long Island, NY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2009

This is an ok spot. Its not exceptional, but it is comfortable and clean. What sets it apart in Salida is that it is the only non-smoking hotel in town! If that matters to you, make a statement. Vote with your wallet. By the way, if you stay here, be sure to drive thru historic Salida. It's charming.

charlottesville, va.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2009

We stayed here recently and had an excellent experience overall. The staff were welcoming and did everything they could to make our stay comfortable. The room was spotless and inviting. The continental breakfast was held in the lobby which is a treat to see as the decor is very creative and the food was fine. We normally do not seek out a Days Inn but based on reviews we read on the Trip Advisor website, we decided to reserve there. We were not disappointed. We highly recommend this place.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
colorado
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2009

When we went ot check in, the owner, Mark could not find our reservation. I provided him with a confirmation #. He then told us our reservavation was for 6/9 which was the day I called to MAKE a reservation for 7/25. He insisted it was my error. Obvioulsy the gal who I spoke with via phone to make the reservation did not change the date...these things happen. The owner told me they had no rooms so too bad. It would have been nice to have an apology or an offer to help find another room for the night. He raised his voice contiuously insisting our reservation had been for 6 weeks prior. I told him I would be contacting the corporate offices to let them know how poorly the situation had been handled and as I was walking out the door he said," I never want to see your face again!"
Incredible! Needless to say, he doesn't need to woory about that! I cannot speak to the hotel itself as we obviously did not stay there, but the rudeness from the front desk was unbelievable.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family

Been to Days Inn Salida? Share your experiences!