“Clean property; great breakfast” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book Early-Save up to 15%
Ranked #6 of 15 hotels in Salida
Colorado Springs, Colorado
“Clean property; great breakfast”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

First time staying here...was pleased with the room, cleanliness and parking. The breakfast was fabulous - lots of variety, hot and cold items and fruit. Much better than most offerings in the price range. Only complaint was the internet connection - signal wasn't great in the room, and you have to enter payment information if you accumulate charges. Most hotels just require an access key to get online. I will definitely stay again when in the area.

243 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Denver
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

We stayed here on night 7 of our road trip. My first problem was that they wouldn' honor the price that we discussed on the phone when I called. I had found a rate on a 3rd party site that they said they would meet. My fault not to get an email in writing but they should have given me the $9 difference in rate. Ok so we went with the rate that they insisted was the only rate they had.
Got to the room and immediately found 2 problems. 1- a pubic hair on the outside of the closed toiled seat and 2- a dirty tissue on the floor next to the closet. I called downstairs and they sent up a housekeeper. She did a nice job, asked me what I would like her to clean. I had her re-clean nearly all of the flat surface not knowing what was clean in the room. I stay in a lot of hotels and this one was one of the worst in terms of cleanliness. I have reviewed many hotels on this site and feel like I have high expectations, but am fair (I do not just bag on hotels).

The housekeeper told me that had 3 new housekeepers on staff and that they were very busy. That was evident.

We left for a couple of hours to get dinner etc. Upon return there was no message from the manager (he was on site I saw him several times), no apology, nothing to recognize their mistake.

Went to the pool which was warm and nice. Very crowded for Spring Break. The manager did come in to have some men remove glass bottles so I know he was around.

The sleep was ok, Bed were ok. No wi-fi in the rooms which in this day and age I think is just awful. People like to check their email (write hotel reviews etc.) in the comfort of their room rather than in the lobby.

The breakfast the next morning was good. The breakfast room/lobby was filthy. You could tell that dozens of people had eaten there and NO attempt was made at all to wipe off tables. There was an attendant in the room, but I could never find him to get him to wipe down tables. Nor could I find anything to wipe them down myself. When I finally saw the manager at the front desk, I went to him (10 am) I told him about our room problems, the lack of clean tables in the breakfast room etc. I told him that this was the least presentable hotel of any that we encountered on our stay. He did apologize but did nothing to make it up to us.

There are many hotels in Salida, pick a different hotel. This hotel does not care about cleanliness.

Room Tip: Stay some where else.
Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

We enjoyed our night at this very consistent Hampton Inn. The staff were friendly, the room clean, and there are always enough healthy choices at the breakfast buffet. We liked how close it was to Monarch Mountain for skiing. Even with snow it only took 30 minutes.

Colorado Springs, Colorado
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

We checked in Monday for a 2 night stay, hopeful about our experience at Hampton as it usually provides a good experience & we had read glowing reviews about this property.
Epic fail on this property. We checked in around 5 pm Monday. Got up to room #424 & noticed we were stuck across from ice machines even tho' our profile requests quieter location.
Into the room we went..no clean hand towels, carpet not vacuumed. Called front desk & the "manager" brought up hand towels as requested, but I refused one of the towels b/c it was ovbviously soiled. Pointed this out to the manager, but he didn't return with another.
Off to Wal-Mart to get clean supplies...
Later that evening as we crawled into bed, noticed our duvet was seriously stained under the covers. Puzzled...as they leave a sticky note on the bed that says, "This duvet was changed just for your arrival" or something to that affect. Well, ours wasn't. And we assumed our sheets were either. So I called down to the front desk and the phone rang and rang...in fact it rang so long it disconnected. Called again. Same thing. Finally, I dialed the main hotel # from my cell phone and they picked up immediately! WAIT?! Not interested in serving your guests in-house once they've checked in? Yep. Exactly.
I told them about our sheets/bedding being soiled. Hold please. Picked up. Hold please. Picked up. Hold please. Finally, the guy says, "I need to get ahold of my manager but he's asleep." WHAT? Where's housekeeping? So I said, "Just bring up clean bedding & we'll change it ourselves" which we, in fact, did. It took the front desk guy 4 trips up to get the correct bedding, but at that point we were just happy someone was willing to help us.
Told the night helper to PLEASE LET YOUR MANAGER KNOW about this situation. In fact, I told him 3 times. He assured me he would & that they would take care of the situation.
Well, all day Tuesday...not a word from the manager. So around 5 pm, I walked to the front desk & told him what had happened. His response was dismal and insulting. He insinuated first that the bedding was dirty because I had a Do Not Disturb sign on my door. Um, if the room is supposed to be cleaned BEFORE I arrive, what difference would me putting out my DND sign matter at 10 pm at night make? Made no sense. So we went back & forth...and he offered to fix nothing, offered no true apology & literally let me stand there. I was SO shocked at this apathy. I suspect if I had sent my husband down to address it instead, this male manager from another country would have taken this more seriously.
So we checked out & he acted as if nothing had happened. Didn't ask about my stay, just told us to return again when we were in Salida.
Finally - this hotel is nice, just dirty and poorly run. Breakfast is powdered eggs. Cookies mid-afternoon are spartan...5 minutes worth or you're out of luck. We had 3 total groups of friends staying in hotel in different locations and NONE had warm water on Tues morning. I'm not sure how this place stays ranked positively in Trip Advisor but our experience was not satisfactory and nothing was done about it. It is convenient...but so is my car...and my car is cleaner. We will be contacting Hilton directly as husband is rewards member. Hopefully they will take this lapse of management more seriously.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Elkhart, Kansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

We have been skiing Monarch for 15 years and were so excited when Hampton built this lovely new hotel in Salida, Colorado. It is clean and well maintained. We enjoyed the nice quality breakfast buffet and the laundry room was nice as well. Also, the fitness room was well equipped and the pool looked larger than average. Excellent hotel!

Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

Awesome newer hotel located in a good location in Salida. Only about 20 easy minutes to Monarch Ski Area. Our time there was very limited, we checked in around 1am and checked out by 7am. Rooms were nice and quiet. Breakfast was great. Book this hotel with confidence! I am a bit surprised to see that Tripadvisor has it ranked #8 of 15 hotels in Salida. Driving the main drag, I didn't see many other options that looked better. Quality and consistency are hard to beat when it comes to the Hampton brand.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

New-looking hotel that is conveniently located on Highway 50 in Salida. Comfortable, spacious rooms with plenty of necessities stocked in the bathrooms. Very friendly front desk. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Been to Hampton Inn & Suites Salida? Share your experiences!