“Arguably the worst of the 50+ Hampton Inns I've been to” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book Early & Save!
Ranked #9 of 15 Hotels in Salida
Crownsville, Maryland
“Arguably the worst of the 50+ Hampton Inns I've been to”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2011

The author of the review entitled "not quite up to speed" nailed it. This Hampton Inn is lacking from a managerial and quality standpoint. I too had no wifi in my room (on my first stay) and had to sit in the lobby to use my iPad. The person at the front desk told me that some rooms had wifi and I asked to be put in one of those rooms during my subsequent stay (2 nights later). That same employee encouraged me to write this review and complain to Hilton (the parent company) because he was so sick of hearing people complain about the wifi and hoped that the negative reviews would get management to address the issue.

On my second stay, I was put in a room with wifi, but the room was directly across from the ice machine and I had requested not to be near vending/ice. As a Hilton HHonors Gold member, these requests are always met--not this time. When I asked to change rooms, no can do b/c the hotel was booked solid. So, I got to hear people going for ice all night long. To make matters worse, the walls in this particular room were EXTREMELY thin. We could hear every word spoken by the family of four next to our room, and I do not think they were talking particularly loudly.

I requested a refund for this 2nd stay, as I was kept up all night between the ice machine and family in the room next to us. Management would not give me a refund (saying they were not able to from their end, which is a lie), and referred me to Hilton HHonors. So I called Hilton HHonors to complain and they said, per their policy, that the hotel had to contact me and agree to issue the refund. They said the hotel would call me within 3 days. I waited 2 weeks. They never called (when I called Hilton HHonors back, they gave me the credit, apologized for the hotel, and gave me bonus HHonors reward points for my inconvenience).

In sum, if wifi, thick walls, and good customer service are important to you, find somewhere else to stay. Otherwise, this is your typical Hampton Inn.

Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Boston, Massachusetts
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2011

This is a new Hampton Inn, built in February 2011. Lobby area and rooms are clean and bright. My beef with the management. I have stayed in many Hamptin Inns over the years. I like them because they tend to be very consistent and you know what to expect. My husband and I arrived at this Hampton Inn to find no one at reception. We waited at least 10 minutes (maybe more) before the manger materialized. this was at 3:00pm. We checked in and as mynusual request I was given a room on the top floor, which was the 4th floor. The view was beautiful, mountains. my husband settled in while I explored downtown Salida ( an historic small western style town loaded with artists and artisans, nice shops and places to eat, also where the white water rafting trips begin). At 6:00pm, a machine noise, a loud humming began. After about 10 minutes of wondering what that was, we called thenfront desk and were informed it was the air conditioning unit on the roof that turns on from 6:00-8:00pm and again at 6:00 am. We were horrified. we insisted to be moved to a lower floor. We were informed that the hotelmwas completely booked, but the manager to his credit did manage to move us tom the second floor. unfortunately we lost the beautiful mountain view and instead are windows faced a dirt parking lot.

In every Hampton Inn I have stayed in, there is always wireless Internet in the room. This facilty has high speed Internet connection for laptops in the room but not wireless in the rooms. I am writing this review from the lobby area with my iPad. I would prefer to be in the comfort of my room.

Breakfast was another disappointment. We arrived at 8:30am to find little left to eat. The coffee was like water, even the 'robust' brew. my husband, whomalways goes strait for the eggs and sausage, took one look at the offering and made a waffle instead.
I was happy there was laundry room. A plus. The is a pool, and kids were enjoying themselves when I poked in. There is also a nice fitness room form those who look for this.

Room Tip: Stay away from the 4th floor. Ask for a room that faces the mountains.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Golden, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2011

We stayed in a suite on the 4th floor. Everything was clean except the previous visitor's takeout was left in the refrigerator. Coffee in the room. Hotel was quiet, even though it was a busy 4th of July weekend. For such a small town, Salida has great food. I highly recommend Amica's Pizza! Very tasty and homemade... also make their own microbrews! We also enjoyed climbing nearby fourteeners Mt. Shavano and Tabeguache. The Hampton Inn is located on the south side of town, a short drive from the historic downtown. It looked like the nicest hotel in the area and I will stay here again during my next visit to Salida.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2011

Great Hotel! Nice, Clean, Great Price! I would just love for them to put signs in the hallways that say....."Please DO NOT let your door slam shut!" Not everyone wakes up at 6am!
Love Salida!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Lakewood, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2011

Jentle was without a doubt the best, most helpful individual one could ever ask for. While the hotel had no vacancy due to in-town events and she was extremely busy checking in guests, she took the time to phone ahead to Canon City to help us locate lodging. Cheerful, friendly, and efficient... how could Hampton ask for a better representative and employee. We will continue to look for your hotels.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
Fort Collins, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2011

We stayed for two nights during a recent family vacation. The hotel still feels new, has nice accommodations, a nice breakfast, and VERY friendly staff. However, the hotel hallways and parts of our room did not appear clean. There were crumbs on our room floor throughout our stay, water stains on the counter that were not wiped down, and the hallways were visibly dirty. Based on what we could see, it made us concerned for what we could not see.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
detroit
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2011

We drove into Salida and decided to stay at the Hampton. Benjamin, the concierge told us it would be an hour for our room to be ready. (There is great scenery and an hour is easy to pass ) When we came back he gave us a great discount and an upgrade to a suite. totally worth it. there was a hot breakfast in the am and there is a great bar and grill right across the street.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Hampton Inn & Suites Salida? Share your experiences!