“Great Place in a very unique city” 5 of 5 stars

1425 East Highway 50, Salida, CO 81201   |
Ranked #1 of 15 hotels in Salida
GreenLeadersBronze level
Richmond, Kentucky, United States
“Great Place in a very unique city”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

I was traveling on a motorcycle trip when my friend and I discovered this place. We stopped because of the "look" of it. This guy (the owner) has added a few hanging plants and flowers on the small cabins. It is amazing how just a few additions can really make the place stand out. The owner allowed us to use his washer and dryer which is a Godsend when you only pack a few clothes for a long motorcycle trip. When we asked where to go for dinner the owner turned us on to downtown. And what a great downtown Salida is. It really has that “earth friendly” feel. There where people riding bicycles everywhere downtown, heck we even watched belly dancers out in front of the restaurant we ate at. Anyway, back to the motel…the room was very clean, comfortable beds, a full can of Folgers coffee and a real coffee pot, a patio area off the back with patio furniture. All and all just a great little motel for only $75ish a night (when we were there early September).

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends

116 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Castle Rock, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

I conned Ira into giving me #2 for the same price as a single. It sleeps 5 with 2 double beds and one single bed. It is rustic and paneled with real wood, even the ceiling. I liked that each towel was a different brand and color, same with the clean sheets. 7-11 across the street with liquor store next door. Ira is a gem, but you better smoke only outside or he will be mad. I hated the sitting chair as it was too hard for my butt. Stay a couple of days and the place grows on you.

It's nice to stay some place that has some character. I have traveled all over the world and this area and motel is a classic!! Book ahead as they fill up fast.

Room Tip: Try to book a cabin, they're more fun.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Abilene, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

I stopped to check this motel out because of the outside details. Clean, colorful, neat and well thought out. The room was great, quality linens, outside patio, BBQ and a GOOD coffee setup. I really like the heavy mugs for my coffee in the morning. The alarm clock had a Ipod dock and the beds were comfortable. I have spent a lot more money and not gotten the quality and service I received here.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Guildford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

We stayed here for a week while mountain biking in and around Salida and it was perfect. The management couldn't have been more helpful and accommodating. Nothing was too much trouble. The cabin (#2) in which we lived was amazing. Beautifully furnished and comfortable. There were BBQ's outside the back for client use and lots of outdoor seating/tables etc. overlooking the mountains. The bathroom is in need of refurbishment, and this is on the agenda but it didn't detract in anyway from the enjoyment of our stay here. Highly recommended

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Salida, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013 via mobile

The rooms are clean and comfortable decorated in a kitschy 50's/60's style. Full size coffee makers (and coffee!) in every room - a definite plus! The staff was helpful with whatever requests or questions that we asked.

• Stayed August 2013
Austin, Texas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

Stayed here last year, and on two occasions in the last couple of weeks. My son walked into Room #5, and said, "Oh, man, this is what I want my apartment to look like!! We loved it. Loved being able to sit out back at night. The beds were great!
Ira was a huge help and made us feel right at home. My very favorite motel!!
Can't think of a better hotel experience other than being here at Mountain Motel last year (equally good, warm, and delightful.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Silver City, New Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

I found this motel on SUNDAY eve, I was exhausted and in a lot of pain due to an illness I struggle with and if I don't get good sleep the pain becomes more extreme and We were traveling to a trade show in a nearby town and it been a difficult trip as we had blown out our engine 600 miles south, causing us to miss several days of the show and we had to rent a uhaul van which used twice as much gas, and cost us $29.00 a day plus .19 cents a mile, so we already had lost money on the trip and we were stunned to see the prices for small ratty little rooms in this touristy area. I was thrilled when the owner after hearing a bit of our woes came to our rescue and gave us a smoking deal on a great room with an amazingly comfortable king bed. There was a soak tub in the room, a flat screen tv, kitchenette, and a rocking chair. It was perfect in every way!! yes it was a little quirky as to the decor but in a delightful way... for example someone welded copper pipes together for towel racks and a toilet roll holder. There were pictures everywhere of the owner a former skier, and my room had snow skies, and actual skies mounted on the wall. I thought it was cool. There were beautiful flowers everywhere, a view of the mountains to die for and the owner Ira ( who judging from these reviews must be married to Irene) is just plain sweet. I know he could have gotten a lot more money for this room and he chose not to because he felt bad that we had all the travel problems. Anyway finding this room for the price he let me have it for was like a miracle. And The bed was not too soft it was simply divine, not sure if I have ever slept that well. I highly recommend this place.

Room Tip: I was in room six and just loved it!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business

Been to Mountain Motel? Share your experiences!