“This motel was a Godsend!! Too good to be true- Great bed!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Mountain Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Salida
Prices are for rooms, adults
Mountain Motel
Save Saved
You added Mountain Motel to your Saves list
1425 East Highway 50, Salida, CO 81201   |
Ranked #1 of 15 hotels in Salida
GreenLeadersBronze level
Silver City, New Mexico
“This motel was a Godsend!! Too good to be true- Great bed!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

I found this motel on SUNDAY eve, I was exhausted and in a lot of pain due to an illness I struggle with and if I don't get good sleep the pain becomes more extreme and We were traveling to a trade show in a nearby town and it been a difficult trip as we had blown out our engine 600 miles south, causing us to miss several days of the show and we had to rent a uhaul van which used twice as much gas, and cost us $29.00 a day plus .19 cents a mile, so we already had lost money on the trip and we were stunned to see the prices for small ratty little rooms in this touristy area. I was thrilled when the owner after hearing a bit of our woes came to our rescue and gave us a smoking deal on a great room with an amazingly comfortable king bed. There was a soak tub in the room, a flat screen tv, kitchenette, and a rocking chair. It was perfect in every way!! yes it was a little quirky as to the decor but in a delightful way... for example someone welded copper pipes together for towel racks and a toilet roll holder. There were pictures everywhere of the owner a former skier, and my room had snow skies, and actual skies mounted on the wall. I thought it was cool. There were beautiful flowers everywhere, a view of the mountains to die for and the owner Ira ( who judging from these reviews must be married to Irene) is just plain sweet. I know he could have gotten a lot more money for this room and he chose not to because he felt bad that we had all the travel problems. Anyway finding this room for the price he let me have it for was like a miracle. And The bed was not too soft it was simply divine, not sure if I have ever slept that well. I highly recommend this place.

Room Tip: I was in room six and just loved it!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business

126 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Oregon, WI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

A group of us came to Salida for 5 days of fishing. The motel is at the edge of town so a little quieter but convenient to the historic district. Each room has its own flavor and the owners are continually upgrading. The rooms are spacious with a great TV but the beds are a bit soft and the towels and bath/shower area could be better. But the hosts are very welcoming and helpful for tips on what to do and where to eat. I'll come back here.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

The Mountain Motel has great views of the mountains. The beds are new and are comfortable. Each room is decorated with a flair. The rooms are super clean. The owner is easily reached by phone if not on site and is really friendly and helpful. The little kitchenettes are well-equipped. I have stayed several times this year with much pleasure. Each room is different, but I prefer the upstairs or the cottages, which are very popular. I am very pleased to recommend Mountain Motel.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here with my family en route to New Mexico, it's a must stay. The management was friendly and nice, the rooms we're clean and cozy, and the view of the mountains was wonderful. It was nice to have a full (if small) kitchen. Staying there was like being in my own house once again. The beds we're so comfy. Best hotel I've stayed in in the USA.

• Stayed May 2013
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

I went on a little get-away with my girlfriend, and this place was great. It is much cheaper than some of the other places in town, and they just refurbished and re-did much of the motel, so the new part is very nice, very clean, and very rustic. The beds were in very good shape, the kitchen part was furnished with the necessary accessories to help you get by, it's just a gem of a little place for a good value when normally you're either breaking the bank or staying somewhere cheap. Irene the owner was very friendly and gave us great advice about where to eat in town and what to go see. All of her recommendations were spot on, and she even offered to help us get a two for one deal at Monarch Mountain the next day.
It helped me save a lot over some of the bed and breakfast places in town, and there are good places to eat in town like Ferraro's (check the marsala and alfredo, made right).
If you're on a little bit of a budget, this place is ideal, and even if not, it's worth considering, the new rooms feel like you are in a cabin.

Room Tip: I didn't see the more cabin-type rooms, but the new rooms at the back they just re-did are reall...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Gardner, Kansas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

Two days prior to our trip with our dogs I called and made a reservation. I asked if arriving late was an issue because we would be getting in between 10:30 and 11pm. The owner said that was no problem, the door would be left open, the key inside and to come by the office the next day. When we got there just before 11pm the room was locked and it looked as though someone was in it. I went to the office which was luckily open but was extremely disappointed to learn that the owner I had spoken with on the phone, gave our room away. So much for a reservation. She did call another hotel that takes dogs down the road and found us a place to stay and did pay for 1 of our 2 night stays there. It was a cheaper hotel than the price of hers. It was a horrible inconvenience since we were exhausted already. Yes it panned out, but I won't make another reservation here because I can't trust that it will be there when I get there. And when traveling with dogs, it is a very scary situation since very few places take pets thus the importance of a reservation.

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Irene A, Owner at Mountain Motel, responded to this review, March 21, 2013
Kim has every right to be upset and disappointed - I totally messed up on her reservation and was mortified to say the least. My system dropped the reservation sometime after 10:00PM. The weather was quite bad that evening and at approximately 10:30pm, a young gal, traveling over the mountains by herself, dropped by the motel to ask about the road conditions between Salida and I-70. As a mother, I would not want my young daughter traveling over that road at night by herself.. especially not in bad weather , so I encouraged her to find a place to stay in Salida and travel during the day. She asked if I had a room - my reservation sheet showed one room. I booked the young gal into that room. When Kim arrived later, I realized that the room that I put this gal into was the one that had been booked by Kim.

Unfortunately the room was not available when Kim arrived - it was too late in the evening and the young gal was already in bed. Being very embarrassed, I apologized, took a deep breath and started working on getting Kim into another motel. Kim was traveling with a pets so options were limited, but I was able to get her into another motel and paid for one of the two nights.

This experience was an eye opener - it was the first time something like this had happened. I learned that my system was programmed to drop reservations after a certain time. OH NO! Although I cannot go back and rewrite the two day experience for Kim, what I can do and have done is use this experience as a learning opportunity and to have my programmer change the "drop" to a "hold" category that will allow me to manually post an arrival time.

My most sincere apologies go out to Kim and her family.

Irene Allen
Owner
Albany, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

This was a last-minute stop as we didn't want to venture Monarch Pass in the dark and snow. At the end of a strip of chain motels and gas stations, the Mountain Motel is a gem. Irene, the proprietor, is friendly, chatty, accommodating and incredibly helpful. She is in the process of remodeling the rooms to offer charm and and a quirky Western aesthetic as well as comfort and convenience. This little motel is well on its way to becoming a boutique find.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Prices are for rooms, adults

Been to Mountain Motel? Share your experiences!