“The perfect place, a must stay.” 5 of 5 stars

Mountain Motel
1425 East Highway 50, Salida, CO 81201   |
Ranked #1 of 15 hotels in Salida
GreenLeadersBronze level
“The perfect place, a must stay.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here with my family en route to New Mexico, it's a must stay. The management was friendly and nice, the rooms we're clean and cozy, and the view of the mountains was wonderful. It was nice to have a full (if small) kitchen. Staying there was like being in my own house once again. The beds we're so comfy. Best hotel I've stayed in in the USA.

• Stayed May 2013

115 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

I went on a little get-away with my girlfriend, and this place was great. It is much cheaper than some of the other places in town, and they just refurbished and re-did much of the motel, so the new part is very nice, very clean, and very rustic. The beds were in very good shape, the kitchen part was furnished with the necessary accessories to help you get by, it's just a gem of a little place for a good value when normally you're either breaking the bank or staying somewhere cheap. Irene the owner was very friendly and gave us great advice about where to eat in town and what to go see. All of her recommendations were spot on, and she even offered to help us get a two for one deal at Monarch Mountain the next day.
It helped me save a lot over some of the bed and breakfast places in town, and there are good places to eat in town like Ferraro's (check the marsala and alfredo, made right).
If you're on a little bit of a budget, this place is ideal, and even if not, it's worth considering, the new rooms feel like you are in a cabin.

Room Tip: I didn't see the more cabin-type rooms, but the new rooms at the back they just re-did are reall...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Gardner, Kansas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

Two days prior to our trip with our dogs I called and made a reservation. I asked if arriving late was an issue because we would be getting in between 10:30 and 11pm. The owner said that was no problem, the door would be left open, the key inside and to come by the office the next day. When we got there just before 11pm the room was locked and it looked as though someone was in it. I went to the office which was luckily open but was extremely disappointed to learn that the owner I had spoken with on the phone, gave our room away. So much for a reservation. She did call another hotel that takes dogs down the road and found us a place to stay and did pay for 1 of our 2 night stays there. It was a cheaper hotel than the price of hers. It was a horrible inconvenience since we were exhausted already. Yes it panned out, but I won't make another reservation here because I can't trust that it will be there when I get there. And when traveling with dogs, it is a very scary situation since very few places take pets thus the importance of a reservation.

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Irene A, Owner at Mountain Motel, responded to this review, March 21, 2013
Kim has every right to be upset and disappointed - I totally messed up on her reservation and was mortified to say the least. My system dropped the reservation sometime after 10:00PM. The weather was quite bad that evening and at approximately 10:30pm, a young gal, traveling over the mountains by herself, dropped by the motel to ask about the road conditions between Salida and I-70. As a mother, I would not want my young daughter traveling over that road at night by herself.. especially not in bad weather , so I encouraged her to find a place to stay in Salida and travel during the day. She asked if I had a room - my reservation sheet showed one room. I booked the young gal into that room. When Kim arrived later, I realized that the room that I put this gal into was the one that had been booked by Kim.

Unfortunately the room was not available when Kim arrived - it was too late in the evening and the young gal was already in bed. Being very embarrassed, I apologized, took a deep breath and started working on getting Kim into another motel. Kim was traveling with a pets so options were limited, but I was able to get her into another motel and paid for one of the two nights.

This experience was an eye opener - it was the first time something like this had happened. I learned that my system was programmed to drop reservations after a certain time. OH NO! Although I cannot go back and rewrite the two day experience for Kim, what I can do and have done is use this experience as a learning opportunity and to have my programmer change the "drop" to a "hold" category that will allow me to manually post an arrival time.

My most sincere apologies go out to Kim and her family.

Irene Allen
Owner
Albany, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

This was a last-minute stop as we didn't want to venture Monarch Pass in the dark and snow. At the end of a strip of chain motels and gas stations, the Mountain Motel is a gem. Irene, the proprietor, is friendly, chatty, accommodating and incredibly helpful. She is in the process of remodeling the rooms to offer charm and and a quirky Western aesthetic as well as comfort and convenience. This little motel is well on its way to becoming a boutique find.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Goddard, Kansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

Prospecting the cyber sites for a place for a place to get in out of the cold and bed down, I happened upon the site of Mountain Motel in Salida. It caught my interest--nothing big and fancy like corporate hotels--but warm, cozy, and comfortable and maybe friendly. Calling on the land line to the registration desk, I talked to the proprietor Irene about the location and amenities. I decided to stake a claim for five nights. Costs of the claim was real reasonable--did not need a swimming pool or a hot tub--a hot shower would work just great. Talking to Irene was like striking up a conversation with an ol'e friend. She helped me with info and things to make to trip work which was skiing our buns off with my son at Monarch Ski Resort.
We stayed in the newer efficient room with new queen beds. Quiet, clean, remodeled with frig, micro, and flat TV. There are cabin rooms that gives a feeling of real mountain cabin. These cabins are authentic older nothing fake cabins. They are very clean, warm and cozy. I plan on staying in a cabin the next ski or motorcycle excursion to Salida. I have stayed in corporate hotels which do the job providing a place to stay, however, hotels miss the ability to extend the individual attention that a individual owner can. Individual attention is what Irene is about. This is her home in Salida. She wants the guests to feel at home at Mountain Motel while prospecting the area mountains.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Houston
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

We stayed in cabin 9 for one night as we was just passing through, but overall it was a very nice little cozy place to stay. I love old rustic cabins fit in just right. The owner talked to us over the phone and gave us great directions then left the cabin unlocked and turned on the heat because we were arriving late. Although the price when checking out was higher then she quoted me over the phone a month before I didn't make a big deal because we had such a pleasnant experience. If you travel to salida I would definetly stay here as oppossed to any other chain hotel.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Colorado Springs, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

We had a great stay in the Mountain Motel. The lobby is restored to an old-west ambiance - we loved the vintage western couches. We stayed in Room 5 which is a large corner room away from the highway, and is newly remodeled including beds, carpet, paint, bathroom and microwave/fridge area. The room is on the second floor and has a nice view. There are also cottages (all attached) which we didn't see but which look interesting. The managers are reallynice and ready to help.

Room Tip: Room 5 is the recommendation.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Mountain Motel? Share your experiences!