“Wow, coming home to Colorado!” 5 of 5 stars

1425 East Highway 50, Salida, CO 81201   |
Ranked #2 of 15 Hotels in Salida
GreenLeadersBronze level
Austin, Texas, United States
“Wow, coming home to Colorado!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

I stayed at Mountain Motel in August 2012, and I'm writing this at the end of December 2012. I doubt that even a few days have gone by without my thinking about my wonderful stay there. And, yes, Colorado used to be my home and is still my "heart" home. Irene is one of those rare, remarkable, caring and engaging individuals. The motel really reflects her and her heart and style. I was so happy to be there and in Salida that I stayed twice as long as I intended to, and will, for sure, return as soon as I can. She is making the motel a very, very special place. I stayed in Room 1. It was so authentically "mountain" without being overdone. The room was so comfortable. The service was wonderful. I loved sitting outside and talking with Irene and others. It was an experience I've never had with any other lodging. A very, very special place!

Room Tip: Just ask Irene. She'll help you know what's best for you, once she knows what you want. An...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

The new owner, Irene, is delightful. She put us in Room #1 and it had two very comfortable beds. The view out the back sliding doors wasn't scenic. We looked out on a school bus and hard to see mountains but we weren't in the room much and the bar chairs and table were very nice to use when we had a snack as was the plug in kettle for tea/coffee. Great big TV, which we didn't use but appreciated and Irene gave us two passes to the Salida hot spring fed swimming pool nearby, which saved us a lot of money and was great.

Room Tip: Room we stayed in was just renovated. New mattresses were great!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Fountain, Co
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

This gorgeous motel is right on the edge of town and you can't miss it if you're travelling west on Hwy 50. Beautifully laid out, these wooden cottages and rooms are just what any traveller would love. I enjoyed a night's stay in cottage number 9. There were two double beds, a kitchenette, all sorts of kitchen utensils (loved the blue glasses), and a two-plate gas stove as well as a microwave oven. A coffee machine, pots and pans, crockery and cutlery as well as a little sink, and enough style to last you for your stay! There is also a fold-out table on which you can work or eat a meal and a flat-screen television. I loved the spaciousness even though it was just me in the room. This motel is spotlessly clean and the beds are super comfortable. I had the air conditioning on for a short while to cool things down, and the room stayed nice and cool throughout the night. A visit to the reception/office is a must as you'll discover an array of various styles of decor items which beg to be looked at. Owner Irene Allen has a keen eye for the electic, and she showed me around and told me about where she got some of her items both in the office and for the rooms. Her intention is to make her motel as cozy and homely as possible, with a throw back to the 50s and 60s, and thus buys repurposed items. My room had a great selection of things like a dream catcher, the cutest telephone I've ever seen, and I loved the kitchen utensil holder. The shower is a little tiny but I managed. The wooden walls and floors are very comforting and her blue curtains pulled the whole area together. The Mountain View is the perfect place to make your base as you discover the Salida area and surrounds. Pets are welcome too!

Room Tip: Ask for cottage #9 as I didn't see any of the other cottage or rooms. Otherwise, ask ahead of t...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012

I've stayed at the Mountain Motel several times over the past 10 years when passing through Salida in my pursuit of both mountain sports and business. It a clean, comfortable, unique and economical alternative to the motel chains in town. This time I was surprised to find a new comfortable lobby/lounge area with western decor in addition to decor improvements in the rooms. This place makes me feel connected to Colorado in a way the others don't, complete with outdoor seating and mountain views. Many thanks to the very hospitable and kind management and staff!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Leander, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012

The new owner and staff have done a great job at making a good place excellent. If your staying in salida you will not find a more personal and friendly place. Also for what your paying you can't beat it.

Room Tip: Great place at a great price!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Whitewater, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2012

I have just returned to Wisconsin after a memorable R&R month-long stay in a cabin at The Mountain Motel in Salida, Colorado. I first stayed there five years ago and have gone back to the same place each summer. Everyone, including the courteous staff, was so helpful and friendly that I felt like I was part of a happy family. Irene, a creative and energetic new owner, has given the motel some great new, warm touches with quilts, expanded kitchen utensils, nicely colored towels, unique furniture and gorgeous hanging flower baskets outside each cabin door. I felt like I was relaxing in a B&B atmosphere. The price was a bargain, the location was great and you simply couldn't find a more cozy and comfortable place like this anywhere in Salida.
I'm already planning my next summer at The Mountain Motel!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Bella Vista, Arkansas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

Forget staying at one of the chain motels. I stayed in one of the cabins for 3 nights. It was clean, cozy and nicely decorated. The views were outstanding. I haven't stayed at a place that made me feel so relaxed in quite sometime. I will definately stay there again!!!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Mountain Motel? Share your experiences!