“My nourishing oasis where I go to recharge” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Shoshoni Yoga Retreat

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Rollinsville
Shoshoni Yoga Retreat
You added Shoshoni Yoga Retreat to your Saves list
1400 Shoshoni Camp Rd., Rollinsville, CO 80474   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Rollinsville B&B and Inns
Boulder, Colorado
“My nourishing oasis where I go to recharge”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2012 via mobile

I am a busy mom and world travelling business person. I'm also a long time yoga practitioner. Shoshoni is my oasis where I go when my tank is empty. Even just a day trip refills my tank. I leave Boulder at 9am, take the Pranayama class at 10 followed with a yoga class. This is followed by a great vegetarian lunch, some easy, relaxed conversation with the staff or other guests. After lunch I usually just sit by the mountain lake outside the lodge, listen to nature - the leaves, the crickets, the silence - and then do the lovely, well marked meditation walk. By the time I get back down to Boulder and walk through the door, about 3 pm - I feel so new, refreshed and happy. This is truly a special place! I simply love it!

• Stayed July 2012

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Boulder, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2011

I've been to Shoshoni for 3 visits so far and plan to do more.

Shoshoni is the definition of a Colorado Mountain retreat. They have a large property with rustic cabins, modern eco-cabins (radiant floor heating, etc.), a lodge, sunroom, temple(s), huge yoga areas, hiking trails going into the surrounding National Forest, and on and on.

The yoga sessions are ideal for beginners (as I was once) intermediaries (as I am now) through advanced teacher instruction. It was wonderful to see how gracefully and easily the instructors transitioned from teaching myself to also train a large group of yoga instructors who came for thier own advanced instruction.

The food is great, there are 3 meals per day included (along with 2 yoga sessions; also included). They will accommodate any special diets and I could go on and on raving about the quality and variety of every day. It just got better and better!

You can do whatever you want there, if you decide that one yoga session is more to your body's needs, fine, hang out and enjoy the food, go for a hike, cut out and make a run into Nederland (5 minutes) or Boulder, CO (20 minutes away).

The Staff is probably the best part, they are all there as part of the Ashram and they are enjoyable and filled with spirit and love. Each morning and evening there a meditations at the temple. The evening mediation is a perfect way to end the day. The staff has a wonderful band and they sing and dance and its just perfect. Check out the band at Itunes, they are known as Shiva’s Garden and my favorite album is Jay Shiva Om Kara.

Jeff

Room Tip: The Eco Cabins are really nice
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2011

It's labeled a yoga retreat but Shoshoni is an ashram. Students study here ayurvedic therapies, yoga, meditation and sanscrit chants-Eastern religion. The students live here and run the place, and you will learn from them. So, students teaching students. You need to feel comfortable with chanting in sanscrit and doing meditation to really get all you can out of this place. It's also a place where you can come to get exposed to these things at your own pace if you wish.

Temple and meditation offered in the mornings at 530 am and in the evenings at 7 pm. Yoga and pranayama offered twice daily. 3 square vegetarian meals served daily. Meals consist of soups, tofu, beans, grains--be prepared for a lot of indian spices...so if this is not your thing you may want to bring snacks.

Dining hall open all day with fireplace and free teas and water to drink. You can read here and hang out. For summer months there is a large deck outside.

Two hiking trails behind lodge maintained by Shoshoni. One beginner, and one more advanced.

Dorms or private cabins available for from 90 to 150 per night. Private cabins are large and have private bathrooms and heat and lots of windows. Place has good energy and I recommend to anyone looking for a get-away to deepen their yoga practice.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2011

After a curvy and icy drive from Denver, and missing the driveway entrance initially, I followed the long backwooded driveway at least a mile or two off the highway and finally started to see signs that I was arriving to Shoshoni. It was a Wednesday, early evening, and I found the main office closed. I didn't quite know where to go; it was getting dark, there were several feet of snow on the ground, and I had a heavy suitcase in hand. After walking around to the sliding doors of the dining room I knocked until someone heard me, at which time they explained that the main office closes at 4pm. I then learned I was the only guest at that time, which had me a bit apprehensive. I could not get the internet to work, and my cell phone (to no surprise) had a red x across the screen for "no service". I was thankful for my large SUV rental vehicle which got me safely back to the closest town (Nederland) and I sought the library for comfort, using the internet on their public computer (still no phone reception, however). I knew I was missing dinner time, but didn't quite care at that point. When I dragged myself back to the Shoshoni grounds, I found they had saved a plate of food, which thoughtful. I stayed the first night in a dorm room arrangement, which was just as you'd expect, bunk beds, close quarters, and free of luxurious (though I did have a nice roommate, and the common bathroom is very clean, bright, and nice). The next day I decided to move into a private eco cabin which was a great decision. King bed, heated floor, organic towels and sheets....ahh. After my first full day I could finally feel the pull of the city and my desire to have working electronics start to subside. Each full day I was there, I attended the morning yoga and breathing class, and evening yoga class before dinner. I had a different teacher for each class and found their styles to be uniquely wonderful. The food was absolutely delicious and the hardworkers in the kitchen are so passionate about preparing the food. I did not partake in any temple activities, since I was there for the yoga and organic food, but regret not observing at least once. I certainly went through a transition while there, and it absolutely served my purpose for a solo "soul" trip and I left feeling 10 years younger and calmer than I had in a very long time. Additional comments: 1) The internet did start working, but it's not reliable - don't go there planning to stay in touch (the purpose is to escape) 2) Shoshoni is an ashram, not a spa. They make this clear on their website, but I still expected a bit more of a spa environment. If you choose to visit, keep this in mind. 3) I will mention again for the pure bliss I found from it; the food was DELICIOUS! 4) The residents are quiet for the most part, but very kind. They are respectful and if you offer the same level of respect towards them, their lifestyle, and their facility they are caring for, you will have a nice experience staying at Shoshoni. 5) The main yoga room, which all the classes were held in while I was there, was very large and freshly remodeled. The dark cherry floor was heated, and the room had windows on each side that allowed the right amount of light in. 5) The eco cabins are worth the extra money (although in the middle of the night and in the middle of the winter, be prepared for some howling winds and a hunch that you might blow right off the mountain top :) 6) As the weekend approached, about 7-8 guests joined and I was no longer alone - this was nice and I met some great people with incredibly interesting stories 7) The hot tub was outside and the cover was covered with a few feet of snow - after digging it out, I did enjoy a long soak overlooking some absolute beautiful mountainous scenery

Room Tip: I debated over a private cabin vs dorm for awhile before booking and found the eco cabin was worth a...
  • Stayed February 2011, traveled solo
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2011

two yoga classes a day, fabulous food, tasty and plenty, meditation sessions, set in a beautiful mountain environment, and run by incredibly warm and friendly people, all multitalented. We stayed in a simple, but clean and cosy cabin - and the only thing we really didn't like while being at Shoshoni was the idea of having to leave it after 5 days...
PS: I really recommend going to the Guru Gita at 5:30 am - despite what Elizabeth Gilbert said in Eat, pray love: I liked it immediately, it is a truly magic thing.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Austin, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2011

Very natural landscape, peaceful, and relaxing atmosphere. The 90-minute yoga class was in a spacious room with an experienced instructor. The vegetarian meal was delicious and filling. They grow their veggies on site. The sugar scrub massage was divine. I haven't felt this relaxed in a long time. I enjoyed spotting the chipmunk and rabbits along the trails. A great way to unplug from the hectic modern world.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Denver, CO
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2009

This was my second visit to Shoshoni. After a hard winter, I wanted to go somewhere I felt nurtured and at home. I was drawn back to Shoshoni where I could be with like-minded people with healthy lifestyles and open hearts. It was so refreshing to be welcomed back by the Shoshoni yogis and replenish myself with good yoga and good food and good people. I stayed in the dorms with a few other women this time, and next time will probably stay in a more private cabin. I highly recommend this retreat if you are looking to heal and relax in a natural way.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled solo

Been to Shoshoni Yoga Retreat? Share your experiences!