“Go to the HATCHERY” 5 of 5 stars

Highlands Ranch, CO
4 attraction reviews
“Go to the HATCHERY”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

I have hiked Rifle Falls in the past -- it's an easy, quick hike, and the caves are fun to explore (if your dog is as scared of caves as mine turned out to be, bringing a dog may impede your ability to explore the caves).

But while you're in the area, go up the road a little further and visit the hatchery! It is free to tour, there are some educational signs posted in their visitor center, and you can see some enormous trout up close. (No fishing allowed.)

If you go between 7:30am-4pm, ask an employee for a tour or to answer questions. Our guide was interesting and not at all put off by having to take a break and talk to us. They do have a donation fish head (see picture), and we donated because of how much time he spent answering our questions.

There are coin machines where you can buy food to feed the fish, or you can just get some for free from the person you talk to. It is fun to watch the fish behavior when you feed different amounts or different size fish. Don't ruin all the fun by dumping your food all at once.

All of the hatchery except for the indoor portion (which was not really in use when we went) is wheelchair accessible, and they have special nearby handicapped parking. Be aware that the surface is bumpy asphalt, so I recommend a power wheelchair or a family member to push you.

Visited August 2012

Littleton, CO
“A Hidden Beauty”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012

We never knew there was a falls in Rifle, until we stayed at a hotel there and saw information about the falls. The next day we drove up there and checked out the falls. They are really pretty and easy to get to! A must see!

Visited September 2011
Silt, Colorado
10 attraction reviews
“Great place for short Hikes and cooling your feet.....”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

We live only about 10 minutes away from the falls and it has lots of shady trails and great samples of limestone caves that were formed over thousands of years, would recommend going to far back into them but great place for kids to explore. The trail up to the top of the falls is very gradual and easy and lots of shade. At the top of the falls you can get great views from above on one of the observation outlooks, and down below it is a welcoming cool mist from the falls splashing on the rocks below. Plenty of spots to pull the hiking shoes off and soak your feet in some ice cold water very refreshing. Also has small campgrounds that look very well kept and plenty of picnic tables leading up to the falls to sit and have a picnic.......Well worth stopping in and seeing it is only 15 to 20 minute drive exit in Rifle off I-70 and follow the signs...

Visited July 2012
Huntsville, AL
11 attraction reviews
“The perfect park for a family”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012

This is a wonderful park for easy hiking and exploring. I agree with the other reviewers...beautiful scenario and interesting history. Within a mile or two hike you will see magnificant falls, caves, the top of the falls where crystal clear water rushes down the rocks, old structures left in days gone by meant to harness the falls for power, and wildlife. The rangers there are topnotch and friendly. There are picnic benches, and I assume the park is dog-friendly because we saw folks walking their pups. We would definitely go again, and I am envious of the reviewer who said he grew up in the area.

Visited August 2012
Montrose, Colorado
4 attraction reviews
“Beautiful place!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

I've been there twice,it's a very beautiful place! I enjoy doing photography and hiking around.The trails around the falls are excellent and there are some nice caves to explore along the way. You can even hike to the top of the falls and enjoy a incredible view.
It's a nice place to sit and have a picnic also. There are tables close to the falls and if you go there when it's not crowded you can take a seat and enjoy a nice meal while admiring the beauty. There is a fee to get in and see the falls. I think it was only $7,not too bad.
My friends and I went in October 2011 and it was perfect!It was quiet and not very many people were there.
The second time I went,it was on a weekend in Spring 2012.Bad mistake on my part. It was very crowded and noisy. Like another person mentioned in their review,it is popular. Extremely popular! I can see why,though.
If you are like me and you dislike large crowds,avoid the summer rush and go see the falls in the Fall.It's more peaceful and the leaves are changing colors ,it's even more more beautiful.

Visited April 2012