“If you like flies, this is the place for you.” 1 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #7 of 33 Restaurants in Rifle
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: At Jay's our goal is to serve you with the best quality meats & seafood in the valley!
New Castle, Colorado
“If you like flies, this is the place for you.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

My girlfriend and I along with a friend of ours went to Jay's for lunch today. Walking through the door it looked like a pretty nice place. When we entered we were the only people there, besides the employees, surprisingly enough it took a little bit of time before we were seated. The restaurant was pretty clean and well layed out. I excused myself to the restroom which was clean and well kept, but had a decent amount of flies in it, not just one or two, but a dozen or so. That in and of itself is not toatlly disturbing, except for the fact that the bathroom doors are directly across from the kitchen entrance. I returned to the table and as we were looking throught the menus there was a fly or two buzzing around our heads at the table. We are not overly critical or demanding people so we really didn't pay much attention to them other then to tease our friend who the flies had taken a particular interest in. The service was somewhat slow for being the only people there, but the fact that we were in no big hurry and doing alot of talking amongst ourselves didn't make that a big problem, but if you were in a hurry it definatley could be a problem. We finally ordered our food and it took a pretty good amount of time for our food to be prepared and served, again, we were the only diners in the restaurant. The staff seemed pretty busy and talkative amongst themselves within the kitchen. When our food arrived it looked pretty good and decent portions. Well at first glances, the waitress had brought out two plates and set them down and went back for the third plate for our friend. Much to our surprise the plate placed in front of my girlfriend had a problem, it was not easily missed and all but smacked you in the face. My girlfriend ordered the Rueben sandwhich and fries, right on top of the fries and all but blinking like a neon sign was a cooked fly. How this was missed in the kitchen or by the waitress escapes me, it took about 0,5 seconds for me to see it from across the table and even less time for my girlfriend to see it right in front of her. When the waitress returned with the third plate I asked for my girlfriends plate to be taken back and new food cooked for her. The waitress took the plate, with no show of surprise for what was laying right there on top, and returned to the kitchen. Just a couple of minutes later she returned with the plate minus the fly, again there was no mention by the staff about any problem with there being a fly in the food, almost like it was such a common occurence it should be expected. The amount of time she was gone was to short of a time for the entire plate to be redone, but it truly was just the fries that had the problem. Our friend and I were not entirly sure if we were going to eat our own fries or not. We all ate as much of our respective plates as we were able and waited for the check to be delivered. Not that it was expected, but much to our surprise there was no adjustments made to the bill for the food mishap. I do not expect anybody to get down and beg forgiveness or to comp an entire meal for that sort of thing, but the complete apathy that was displayed for the fly in the food was disturbing. The food was average at best and definately does not make up for the staff's indifference to the patrons. We won't be returning to Jay's and definately will not recommend it to any of our friends.

• 3 of 5 stars Food

midwest usa
“The Worst Place of 2-week Trip!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

There always has to be one....the worst...and this was it. We went here based on recommendation from hotel manager (Hampton Inn). The atmosphere is a little dark, but we were seated quickly by a friendly waitress...who then promptly forgot about us. I ordered the drunkin chicken which was supposed to be roasted and then served with bbq sauce. It arrived very undercooked; inedible. Husband had only soup and salad. When the bill arrived we were charged for a few things we did not order and it took 2 people and 3 attempts to get it almost correct. They did deduct 20% of the cost of the raw chicken. Stay away.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Rifle, Colorado, USA
“Burnt over priced food, Slow service. Not a Kid Friendly Place.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

We went in to try it out for a special occation. The service was slow. Steak was over cooked, & small for the price. Salad was just a pile of lettuce on a plate.
But, the worst part of all was the sandwich for my daughter was burnt to till it was a solid black. When we commented about it they took away the plate and returned later with another sandwich. But, the new plate was missing the fries that were on the first plate that had been taken away.

It is like they just didn't care about the kids meals and just wanted to sell the over priced steaks.

Don't bother stopping here if you have kids.

• 1 of 5 stars Food
Silt
“Jay's Steakhouse is a new restaurant in Rifle that you must try!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

My husband and I tried Jay's steakhouse for dinner for his birthday last week and I must say the food was really great!! My husband had the large T bone dinner and I had the 10oz.Sirloin with mushrooms and garlic and it was incredible! My sides were green bean almondine (yum!) and a salad (A real salad with color!) We still talk about the meal a week later and look forward to going for lunch too! We have a guest ranch in Silt and have put menu's in the log cabins and tell everyone to try it! It really is a plus for Rifle!! We don't know the owner's .. just appreciate a great meal!

• 5 of 5 stars Food
“Great food, avoid Bronco game nights.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I went on a Thursday night for a date. The food was delicious. This was our second time here, but the first time for dinner. We had the potato skins for the appetizer,which were delicious. The homemade bleu cheese dressing on the salad was also great. We ordered the larger rib eye and it was cooked to perfection. Overall the food was great. Now on to the negatives. The restaurant was surprisingly busy for a Thursday night, but there were only 2 servers for 8-9 tables, and I overheard one of them saying she was still new and learning her way around. So we had slow service and honestly, it wasn't very good either. When we came in they were playing music at a reasonable level, however as soon as the Bronco game came on, our server turned up the game not once but twice, despite the fact that none of the patrons were watching or even seemed to be interested. The result was a very loud game with even louder commercials, making it hard to carry on conversation. Overall a great meal, and because we've been before, we'll definitely be back. Just not on game nights.

• Visited August 2013