“Amazing...simply amazing!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Orvis Hot Springs

Orvis Hot Springs
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Ridgway
Orvis Hot Springs
Save Saved
You added Orvis Hot Springs to your Saves list
1585 County Road 3, Ridgway, CO 81432   |
Ennis, Montana
“Amazing...simply amazing!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

I drove to Ridgway just to visit this hot springs. I would go as far as to call myself a hot springs connoisseur. I have been to many of them, in many different states, in many different countries. I'm going to go as far as to say that this place is the best hot springs I've been to so far! In fact, this place made me seriously consider moving from my beautiful area in Montana to this area just to make this hot springs a place I can visit regularly!

Whoever is responsible for making this place what it is needs a pat on the back! I picked up on the thoughtfulness that went into many of the details of this place. The lighting at night is what really makes this place enchanting! The lighting is rather sparse, but well placed and allows a person to find their way around on the walking paths (that are made of flat rocks, not concrete which is a nice touch). The ambient area lighting was provided by directing a light up towards a tree which then reflects back on the area to provide just enough light to prevent people from bumping into each other, but not too much to detract from the star gazing!

All of the pools were made to be as natural as possible. The main big pool was lined with flat rocks all the way around and the bottom was smooth pea gravel. The lobster pot was also built using the flat rocks that provided for a very natural looking hot tub. I really can't say enough good things for the ambiance that this place provided!
I love saunas in particular! I gained my appreciation for them in Germany where everyone sits in the sauna in the nude. It's not a sexual thing at all. It's really a common sense kind of thing...who wants to be sitting around in a pair of swimming trunks or bathing suit that is soaking and dripping with sweat! That's gross! Also, any scents that are bought into the sauna are magnified by the heat, humidity, and confined space. So, if someone has washed their bathing suit in bleach, bathed in a chlorine treated pool recently, or used a strong smelling detergent on their clothes this scent will be magnified in the sauna and can even be unpleasant. And on a final note on enjoying the hot springs in the buff: You really should try it! It is a bit awkward at first your first time, but then after a while it becomes very comfortable. There is something very freeing, very natural feeling about enjoying this place in the nude. It is a unique experience and I would recommend it for anyone! Don't be shy!
This was a great sauna! It had the look and feel of an authentic, well used sauna. There was water plumbed into the sauna itself which makes filling the bucket ya use to splash water on the rocks much easier. The benches provided plenty of room to lay back and relax on and there was plenty of room for up to about 10 people (it starts feeling a bit crowded after around 7 or 8). It gets plenty hot, but not unbearably. Also, I noticed that many of the folks that were staying here wore their bathrobe (provided with the rental of a room) into the sauna, but then seemed unsure of what to do with it when the took it off in the sauna. What I did and would recommend is to take off your bathrobe and hang it on one of the hooks outside, and then bring a bath towel in with you to sit on. That way you don't have this huge awkward robe to deal with in the sauna.
One suggestion I would make is to bring sandals, flip flops, or something of that nature. Maybe I've just got tender feet, but I do find it to be more comfortable to walk around wearing sandals. A bathrobe is also nice for when the weather is cold, but not necessary. I kind of like that brisk, cold feeling while walking between the hot ponds.
I will also note that the rooms at the hot springs are very nice, very tastefully decorated, and just very comfortable overall! The sheets used in their beds seemed to be of very high quality. I'm not sure what they were, but I'd like to have a set for my own bed! They were very comfortable!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Eckert, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

I cannot speak for the lodge rooms, as I have not stayed In them. I can say that the spring pools are great. There are several pools and a different feel to each one. The large pond is great . About 3 to 4 ft deep . Nice and hot. I personally love the lobster pot. This pool is hot hot and small , you cant stay in there to long before you have to jump out to cool off. The people have always been great and never had any weird vibes from anyone, as this is a clothing optional place. Yes there are naked people here, they don't bother anyone and the soaking is superb .

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Solo/Budget Traveler from Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

There is just something magical about crawling out of a tent with a light layer of frost on it, and stepping into a beautifully landscaped hot springs in the early morning to enjoy that first cup of complimentary morning coffee while the steam rises up and directs your view to the nearby gorgeous mountains...

As an overnight camping guest at the hot springs, I really looked forward to this ritual during the duration of our stay. The early morning soaks with hardly anyone else on the grounds, and also the late night soaks after the day guests had already left were absolutely wonderful. Camping accommodations are a bit rough- we didn't reserve in advance, and got the end spot without a campfire ring, which was the only one left, but the wooden tent platform helped with comfort and provided good tie-down stabilization. The communal kitchen is a nice amenity, although we didn't make much use of it, having found an excellent Thai restaurant not too far away. The shower and locker facilities are quite adequate, and maintained with much more care and cleanliness than other hot springs I've visited.

The hot springs are clothing optional, and it was about a 50/50 mix of nude and clothed guests while we were there. As a newbie to clothing-optional soaking, I never once felt uncomfortable while on the grounds- other guests and staff were very respectful, and the one guest who was acting somewhat inappropriately in a pool area was promptly, and quietly, removed by staff. Sauna facilities were also greatly appreciated by this Finnish-American girl.

Orvis Hot Springs was overall a fantastic relaxation getaway. Since the trip ended, I've been thinking constantly about a return trip, and I can only hope that I'll be able to return soon to both this wonderful property and also the nearby towns of Ridgway and beautiful, beautiful Ouray.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012 via mobile

The natural hot springs pools are wonderful, especially the large one. The grounds are beautifully landscaped and well lit at night, when the big pool is perfect for watching the stars.
The property is on the edge of the town surrounded by a large fence. The room I stayed in was nice, but overpriced for having a bathroom down the hall. The campground was just a parking lot.
I enjoyed the soaking but found Orvis not quite as friendly as other similar hot springs and be prepared for some wacky rules, including a ban on reading books on the grounds if you have a Kindle or other book reader.

• Stayed August 2012
Bisbee, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2012

based on recommendations from fellow travelers and viewing the website i had high expectations. they were not only met but exceeded. the Antique room was very comfortable and the grounds and pools lush. the staff was over the top in service. probably the most fascinating thing was being able to stay after checkout until 10p.m. it's like a free day. the staff member i commented to about that said we want you to get your moneys worth for staying with us. wow! this stop was part of a greater road trip. my next one will be as a destination even though i live in SE Arizona!!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Fargo, North Dakota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2012

We had a great stay. Really enjoyed the pools and the well manicured garden, especially during the times when they were closed to the general public. We were in the Americana room and found it clean and comfortable, with thick robes, fluffy towels and a great bed that passed the bedbug inspection. The window fan cooled the room adequately and we slept well. The two bathrooms in the hall (with showers) worked for us--never an issue or a wait, and we didn't find any mold. No sink in the Americana, but it did have a fridge and a large water bottle with a dispenser. My wife (the ultimate cat person) was thrilled with the visits from the resident kittens, Wayne and Garth. There is a community kitchen that was well maintained and had some ice available--enough for a drink or two, not to fill a cooler. We made the short drive to town for dinner.

Checkout time is 11:00 AM, but we were allowed to use the pools for the rest of the day, along with the robes and towels. Before leaving we used the shower rooms on the lower level and found them very acceptable. My wife liked the large counter area in the women's shower and the provided hair dryer. We are looking forward to our next visit.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Las Vegas, Nevada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2012

This review is for the hot springs only, as we didn't stay in the lodging. I have never experienced such a relaxing pool - must be the lithium, completely soaks any aches and pains away and lifts the mood. There are a variety of pools to choose from (indoor, outdoor and two private tubs) and the gardens around the pool are gorgeous to sit around and cool off, with a view of the mountains. The Lobster Pot is the hottest pool and no-one managed to stay in there too long that I could see! We went in May when the weather was still fairly cool, but the springs were perfect temperature and it wasn't crowded at that time.

The staff are friendly and helpful and the day rate was reasonable. We used the massage services as well, which they have in the large tents (yurts) next to the pools. They yurts were cozy and quiet and the quality of the massage was superb.

We stopped here originally by chance as we were in the area and ended up going every day we were there. Very enjoyable, especially after hiking and travel.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Orvis Hot Springs? Share your experiences!