“Overpriced and crowded” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Orvis Hot Springs

Orvis Hot Springs
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Ridgway
Orvis Hot Springs
You added Orvis Hot Springs to your Saves list
1585 County Road 3, Ridgway, CO 81432   |
Gunnison, Colorado
“Overpriced and crowded”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2011

Although I love these hot springs, I will never "camp" there again. My husband and I were looking for an affordable option for our wedding anniversary so we pulled our camper down to Ridgeway to stay for a night. When we arrived the parking lot was packed and we couldn't figure out where the "camping" section was. When my husband went in to ask, the lady working the counter said "in the parking lot by the green fence". He told her there were no spaces available. She basically said "tough". Rough since we had prepaid. We had to wait for someone to move and then we parked the camper in the parking lot... apparently our camping spot. The price of this "camping" was affordable, yes but overpriced for what it was. Customer service also needs a touch up. Next time we will stay in one of their hotel rooms.

Room Tip: Instead of vehicle camping, use their tent camping. This area is nice and neat. If staying in the...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Eau Claire, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2011

Yes, Orvis is a clothing optional hot springs, so as another reviewer said, if the sight of naked people offends you, go somewhere else. My husband and I have been going to Orvis once a year since 2002 and I have never felt that this was a place of "weirdos and perverts." There has been an occasional quasi-exhibitionist, but for the most part everyone seems to mind their own business. I have worn a bathing suit during the day, and not worn one at night, and have not felt out of place in either situation. The grounds are extremely well kept with beautiful landscaping. The rooms were all remodeled a few years ago and we have always found them to be very clean and well appointed, including being stocked with several thick fluffy towels. Yes, the bathrooms are shared, however I have never had to wait to use one and have found them to be clean. We have always stayed there in September so I can't speak to the "sweltering" rooms as the weather has been quite cool. I have only two complaints - the rooms could use more light and I personally find the pools to be too warm, though my husband feels they are fine.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Las Vegas, Nevada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2011

Orvis Hot Springs is just what they advertise. A small clothing optional hot springs. We stayed two nights, found it very relaxing, didn’t even have a problem with the bedroom bathrooms in the hall way. The six bedrooms and two bathrooms are on the second floor away from the public areas. We found the rooms clean and adequate. It was nice not to have TV and phones in the rooms. If you are looking for a hot springs soaking area without all the fancy stuff, this is the place. A lot of locals come for the afternoon.
The indoor small pool is clothing only. The outside hot tubs and large hot spring area are clothing optional. Yes, you will see naked people, if that offends you, go somewhere else. During our stay last weekend during the day a few visitors were wearing bathing suits, they looked out of place.
We both had massages, and both agreed they were one of best we had ever had.
A small kitchen is available for guest use, complete with pots and pans, plates, etc. The village of Ridgway is about a 1 ½ mile drive with several restaurants and even a grocery store.
It is nice that at 10pm all day visitors leave and only room/camper guest are allowed to stay in the springs and on the property.
We are looking forward to our next visit to Orvis Hot Springs.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the two king rooms, both corner rooms overlooking the springs
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Chicago
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2010

The bathrooms are shared down the hall. On an August day the room was sweltering and there is no airconditioning. Cats were running all over the place (and I'm allergic) -- strange for a place that doesn't allow pets. The hot springs, with overweight bathers strutting around naked, were kind of a trip, but stay elsewhere and just go use the hot springs for $14 for the day.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Merritt Island, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2010

I wanted to visit some natural hot springs and the brochure on this one sounded good. However, after arriving we quickly discovered that this was the place of wierdos and perverts. Naked men would walk around and stare at you and many did not even use the pools. One naked lady just walked around and around the grounds never getting into the water. We later saw her put on her clothes and left. My 28 year old daughter and her husband felt unsafe with the older naked men stares so we forfeited two paid rooms and left the facility. If the facility would enforce their written policies, it could be a good place. I was prepared to experience nudity in the water but not as we did. Definitely not a place for children or even young teenagers.

Seems the only policy they enforce are their reservations policy. We were unable to get a refund on the two rooms costing us $192. The rooms are "spartan" by current standards. They have no modern amenities, not even bathrooms. You have to share them down the hall. Also, very hot with poor ventilation. Poor rooms, unenforced policies leading to the perception of being unsafe and lewd nudity pushed us to leave this one....

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Loma Linda, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2010

The rooms smelled funny and didn't feel clean, and the vibe was just weird. The establishment is billed as a 'swimsuit optional' facility, which I wasn't aware of when I booked the room. It was so dark around the hot spring pools that I was afraid I would stumble while walking around. The worst problem was that the rooms were stifling hot, with no cross-flow ventilation even with the window wide open.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled solo

Been to Orvis Hot Springs? Share your experiences!