“Enjoyed the amenities, BUT” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Chipeta Solar Springs Resort & Spa

You added Chipeta Solar Springs Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Chipeta Solar Springs Resort & Spa
3.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   304 South Lena Street, Ridgway, CO 81432 (Formerly Chipeta Sun Lodge & Spa)   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Ridgway B&B and Inns
Glenwood Springs, CO
“Enjoyed the amenities, BUT”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

We stayed this past weekend at the Chipeta Sun Lodge & Spa and I must say we were both so disappointed. The Queen mattress in our suite desperately needed replacing, we had no hot water one morning, our "Private roof top hot tub", was occupied upon arrival, and is only "private" after 10:30pm, as you'll have an audience next store at the roof top sky bar, and the noise and foot traffic produced by the bar is a whole other complaint...not so private and definitely not worth $195.00 a night. I do need to point out that the staff is friendly, the food and service at Four Corners Cafe is great, the amenities are nice, and the pool and its surrounding scenery is spectacular. Would we return? It's a toss up, given the good service, staff and food...yes, based on comfort of rooms and value...probably not.

Room Tip: Beware of the suite with the "private" roof top hot tub give it's proximity to the Sky...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Seattle, WA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2012

I stayed at Chipeta while traveling to Colorado for a mountain bike trip. What a hidden gem this place is. The place is unusually designed but really cool... Balconies, live trees in the lobby, water fountains...very interesting. My room was kinda hot and stuffy but I made use of the swamp cooler they provided and it chilled out. I enjoyed both the hot tub and the pool after a few long, hot rides. The food at the Four Corners restaurant was really good although the service was a little slow. I also liked that they allowed me to park my car here while on my week long bike trip. Excellent customer service through out.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Cincinnati
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2012 via mobile

After a long day of hiking there was nothing better than grabbing a hot chocolate chip cookie and cup of tea, then soaking in the hot mineral pool while witnessing the sun setting over a spectacular mountain backdrop, and wrapping it up with live music while sitting by a fire pit.
Spa services : I don't believe I've ever had such a relaxing massage; the staff was very welcoming and accommodating. The pools & grounds were immaculate.
Located close to several excellent hiking spots, and within walking distance to the most charming of communities and pubs. Perfect for a weary traveler.
The only negative was the window within the room that looked into the bathing area, which was a little awkward for friends who prefer privacy while showering.

• Stayed July 2012
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2012

For our 9th anniversary, we decided to get away from Denver and enjoy a little time in Ridgway. We stayed in the Canyon Dechelly and it was perfection! Beautiful room, amazing views and, most of all, privacy! You have a fantastic view of the mountains, direct access to the Four Corners Cafe and everything else you would want (private hot tub, spa, pool,etc.) right at your fingertips! Thank you to the friendly staff for making our visit even that much better! I would recommend this place to anyone and everyone!

Thanks Chipeta! We hope to make this a yearly tradition, if not more!

Room Tip: Canyon Dechelly...the best of the best!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Lawrence, Kansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2012

I recently had a three night getaway here with my boyfriend and we really enjoyed the Chipeta. The staff was very friendly, helpful, and made us feel welcome. Our room was very comfortable and clean. Our private patio with hot tub had a beautiful view of Mt. Sneffels. We enjoyed the self-serve tea and coffee bar, saw the "take a book, leave a book" shelf a bit too late to use, and loved that the Chipeta is within easy walking distance of downtown Ridgway. The Four Corners Cafe at the resort has a wonderful breakfast menu and even better views of the mountains. I'd recommend calling the resort to get the best possible rates instead of relying on internet booking. There was some construction going on at the hotel (improvements to the parking lot and community hot tub), but it never disturbed our visit. We enjoyed the peace and quiet of the mountains here and would definitely return!

Room Tip: Check out their website for room descriptions to pick one that fits your needs prior to booking. The...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Lawrence, Kansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2012

My girlfriend and I were looking for a unique location to take our first trip together. We got everything we asked for and more. We stayed in the Escalante room with a private hot tub. Our view of Mount Sneffels was awesome. Chipeta Sun lodge is within walking distance of all local restaurants and services which is all you need to enjoy your time in SW, CO. The value of Chipeta is unbeatable especially with the free breakfast(which is home cooked by the way). My girlfriend and I have already made plans to return and explore new adventures in Ridgway!

Room Tip: Rooms by the pool have the best view, but you could hear some late evening swimming.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Boulder, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2012

I bought a package for 2 nights at Chipeta. It included our choice of any available Kiva room (the very nice rooms as opposed to lodge rooms), a bottle of wine, a couples massage and a $50 restaurant voucher. I calculated that I should get more value than I paid for. Did I? I'm not sure.

Because I reserved early, all the Kiva rooms were available. I chose the nicest one, the Canyon de Chelly room. It is isolated on its own up a private staircase. It has its own private deck with a table and 2 chairs, and then another flight of stairs leads to the room's roof and its private spa tub. The features of the room (the privacy and exclusive tub) are certainly very attractive.

The room itself was very nice, but it didn't knock my socks off. I thought it could use a little freshening up. The carpet was aging and needed a vacuum attachment to get into small spaces. Maybe it's just me, but I tend to frown a bit when I pay almost $200 for a room that has debris along the baseboard or between the bed and bedside table. Lighting in the room is also a bit inconvenient, but that's not a deal-breaker.

The room has a queen bed, a bar sink and mini-fridge, bench seat, typical furnishings, small vanity area and a big, jetted bathtub. There is lots that is appealing. The sinks are custom and look to be hand-designed; the furniture looks to be custom log; there are tons of lovely, exposed wood. The view can't be beat.

The spa staff were incredibly nice and helpful. We had to make some adjustments to the time of our massage and they bent over backwards to help us make it all work. The restaurant voucher ordinarily is for the lodge's own restaurant, but it is closed Mondays (when we arrived) so we were sent to another local restaurant. It would have been wonderful if the voucher worked at any local restaurant, but we were given no choice. It was a nice place we were sent to, but we generally avoid that cuisine for dietary reasons.

Would I go back? Probably not, but not because I was unhappy. I think I could get almost as nice for far less money. On the other hand, I've never had a rooftop spa tub for just my husband and me. Relaxing there with no light pollution and literally billions of stars was pretty special. I think this would be a spectacular, multi-day place for honeymooners.

Room Tip: Canyon de Chelly is the most private and perfect for couples who came for privacy.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Chipeta Solar Springs Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!