“Wonderful Ranch Experience!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sundance Trail Guest & Dude Ranch

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Red Feather Lakes
Sundance Trail Guest & Dude Ranch
You added Sundance Trail Guest & Dude Ranch to your Saves list
17931 Red Feather Lakes Road, Red Feather Lakes, CO 80545   |
“Wonderful Ranch Experience!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

We stayed at the ranch during February 2013 and just had the most fantastic, homely, comfortable stay. We could not have been better looked after.

We enjoyed to lovely riding through the stunning countryside on beautiful, well cared for horses, that we easy and calm.

Even tried a little bit of shooting and spent a lazy afternoon in the hot tub!!

Dan & Ellen offer the warmest of welcome and along with their staff (Marion, Nick, Justin & Ray) looked after us like family, the food was just divine, wholesome, home cooking, we really could not have had a better stay.

It was quite cold there during February, however, the sun shone and wrapped up during our rides through snowed covered valleys made for an amazing experience, we very much hope to return sometime in the future....Thank you all!!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
DanMorin, Owner at Sundance Trail Guest & Dude Ranch, responded to this review, March 16, 2013
We're so glad that you enjoyed your visit! The staff did not want you to leave, they were having so much fun with you and the horses. Winter riding in the mountains is a completely different experience than summer riding: cold and sunny. I've been told (by a cowboy who NEVER exaggerates) that Colorado has an average of 385 days of sunshine each year! Thank you for your kind words, and until next time, happy trails.

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

My family and I visited Sundance Trail Guest Ranch in August of 2012. I researched ranches for a year before deciding on Sundance Trail based on the small number of guests, their philosophy that families should vacation together and the activities available. We were not disappointed. I agree with the other reviews that say it is like staying with family. Family with horses, rifles, whitewater rafting and a place where your children can run, play and explore with no worries. The accommodations were nothing fancy, but were spacious, clean and comfortable. The meals would not satisfy a foodie, but was plentiful and tasty. Maybe stop at Walmart on your way from the airport to get some extra snacks - the cookie jar wasn't enough for my kids. The atmosphere was relaxed and very family friendly, however there is an empasis on safety. Kids can run free, not wild. There was a basic schedule for activities, but was very flexible. If you wanted to do something off schedule all you had to do was ask. If they could accommodate you, they would. Addtional rock-climbing and and horseback riding were a little harder to accommodate because you needed certain wranglers to take you to do it. If it's something you really want to do more of, you should tell them in advance. Most families did everything together. If your family can't agree on an activity, no worries, they will split you up. I never worried about the kids when they weren't with me. My kids went off with the friendly and competent wranglers happily and I was happy to take a peaceful ride without them. One of the highlights of the trip was the whitewater rafting. However, if this is something you want to do, you should ask about when the season is. Usually trips don't run at the end of August as the water flow is not sufficient. Also, tips are not included so bring about $60 (family of 4). You should wear water shoes or shoes that can get wet (no flip flops) and be prepared to change into something you can swim in while in the raft (shoes on!) - leave anything that can't get wet in your car. To sum it up, when Dan dropped us off at the airport, my kids gave him a big hug and cried the whole way into the terminal. Oh and BTW, when the horses are being assigned, if you are a boy under 10 - ask for Oreo.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Hi! (This is Oreo,) Thank you for your very kind words! August was indeed an awesome month, because we had a house full of awesome guests and kids!

You're right, we are one of the smallest dude ranches in Colorado. We aim to be very flexible and we believe strongly that families should play together making memories.

And yes, we want those kids to get very tired, very dirty, and even maybe a little sore every day! We "kids-horses" (I am a Peruvian Passofino - Quarter Horse cross, a little closer to the ground than the big guys.) love to watch the children develop skills over the week.Maybe a few will get addicted to horse back riding and come back to work as wranglers, like Alex!

Did I hear that we ran out of cookies? NEVER AGAIN!!! Laura will be back again next summer, and we will be sure that she has everything she needs to keep those cookies coming out of the oven!

Again, thank you for your kind memories. Until next time, happy trails!
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

First, let me say, I've never written a review like this before but my vacation at Sundance Trail Guest and Dude Ranch was one I'll never forget. I stayed at this ranch over the Christmas holiday 2012 and couldn't have picked a better place. The owners, Dan and Ellen, are the nicest people you will ever meet. The two wranglers I had the pleasure of getting to know, Nick and Marion, took me on some of the most beautiful trail rides in the Roosevelt National Forest and told me a lot about the history of the area. The ranch manager, Justin, was great and very informative about the activities involved in running a ranch. They currently have 40+ horses and there's a lot of work that goes on to keep them in the tip top shape they're in. There's so many activities to keep you occupied such as horseback riding, clay pigeon shooting, hiking, billards, etc., etc. The horses are beautiful, friendly and healthy which was very important to me. My accomodations were clean and cozy and the meals were fabulous. You will never be hungry, that's for sure. What I really enjoyed about this ranch is that it is smaller than many I researched but full of great adventures to keep you busy. It felt warm and friendly because of the owners and their staff. They sit down with you during all meals and you really get to know them and they get to know you. You instantly feel like family. I'm already planning a return trip, or two, this year. I can't say enough about what a wonderful place this is to vacation!! Thanks Sundance Trail for helping me make wonderful memories!!
Your friend, Connie from Atlanta :-)

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Aw, shucks, Miss Connie, you (and Miss Deb) were so much fun! You're right, being small allows us to get to know you, and allows us to be flexible in scheduling and activities. Connie, you and your "cheese head" buddy from Wisconsin made this a delightful Christmas! Happy Trails until next Christmas! P.S. Wrangler Marian just left to visit her... ahem... "friend" in South Africa!
Covina, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

...no stress, great hosts, wonderful home cooking and a staff that feels like family. This was are first time going to a dude ranch, and Sundance Trails far exceeded our expectations.
Upon arriving, you get your first view of the beautiful Roosevelt National Forest. Our room was clean and comfortable, with a fridge and mini coffee maker at our disposal (can't live without the morning cup).
The dining room had ice water, lemonade and coffee available most of the day, and an endless cookie jar!
The first night included a riding safety awareness speech (very informative). The next day the staff matches you with a horse that suits your ability. The riding trails travel through the National forest where you are treated to some breathtaking views.

Other activities are planned throughout the week to enhance your stay, including square dancing, cowboy song night and cowboy poetry night! It seems to be a nice balance of activities. I love that all the activities involve group participation.
Our time spent at Sundance Trails just flew by, and we are planning on returning soon!

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012

When choosing a dude ranch I was looking for good horses and trails and nice people. We found all three at sundance. Ellen and Dan are great hosts and take the time to talk with the guests and eat with them. There are plenty of activties if you don't want to ride and after riding. We hiked to an overlook, had a bonfire with local singers, and learned some new moves at the square dance. The food was great and plenty of it. The location was easy to find and close to other activities. We were just a couple but a family would have a great vacation and lots of memories to take home.

Room Tip: All the cabins are in a good location.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Yorkshire, England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

What a brilliant place, found through Trip adviser.
We stayed here as a first holiday for me and my 3 children (11 to 16) and my boyfriend and his 2 (15 and 17) and it was fantastic.
Small enough to be intimate, but big enough to have lots going on!
The boys were not too sure about the riding bit before we went, but after the first day they loved it and were out riding at every chance!
We did not see the kids for a lot of the time, as they rode in groups with their new friends, or were shooting, in the jacuzzi, playing pool/ table football, throwing axes (tomohawks to you cowboys!) rock climbing or just chilling!
We had a lodge which was brill, lots of space and away from the main house- and this worked perfectly for our group.
The staff were very accomodating and Dan and Ellen were perfec hosts.
I did worry that it seemed a bit too structured at first but you can opt in and out of anything, so no problems.
Two things to mention- it is at altitude, and we did feel a bit queesy for a couple of days. It is also very dry (lip salve essential) and dusty, so no good clothes needed!
Compared to the prices of other ranches this one is very good value.
Overall an amazing week, the kids want to know when we can go back!

Room Tip: The lodges give you more privacy, as some of the main house rooms open into the dining area.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012 via mobile

My son, 11, and I just spent a week at the ranch and couldn't have had a better time. We have traveled a lot and we both agree this was one of our better vacations! We both enjoyed the riding and really learned how to control the horses and make them do what you want them to do and go where you want them to go. We have always sought out trail rides on vacations but they have always been the nose to tail line without any real excitement. I tell you riding bareback doing arena games and swimming with a horse is EXCITEMENT!
The staff, food, accommodations, and activities all exceeded my expectations. We will be back again.
My only complaint....I can never do a nose to tail boring ride again because I now know what horseback riding is supposed to be!

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Been to Sundance Trail Guest & Dude Ranch? Share your experiences!