“Stepping back into time” 5 of 5 stars

You added Edgar Olin House Bed and Breakfast to your Saves list
Edgar Olin House Bed and Breakfast
3.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   727 W 13th St, Pueblo, CO 81003   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Pueblo B&B and Inns
“Stepping back into time”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2011

From the moment we entered the house we felt at home. Not only was the decor a visual feast, but Kelly and Steve's hospitality was impeccable. The Judge Coulter room was the perfect mix between romance and practicality: an electric fireplace, with a fan to modify the temperature; a balcony with bistro table and seating; a jacuzzi tub,as well as a shower with plenty of towels; coffee and fruit served at our door, along with a scrumptious breakfast. My husband and I agree it was worth every penny!

• Stayed April 2011

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2011

We are exploring cities in Colorado. Pueblo was a weekend on our itinerary. We'd never been to a bed & breakfast before but I had an overdose of romanticism from the prior evening so I wanted to sign us up for a bed and breakfast. I called all the bed and breakfasts in the area and Kelly at Edgar Olin returned the call within the hour. She was so personable I didn't look farther.

We had the Garden suite with the hot tub and ground level entrance. The hot tub got overused by us. The ground level entrance was nice on my knees. The garden will be out in spring but it looked like it would be pleasant when it was out.

Kelly and Steve were extremely accommodating. My wife is on a very restrictive diet. Just about all she can eat is meat and potatoes without the potatoes. Kelly went so far out of her realm to prepare a breakfast that was right up to my wife’s needs, even though she had others besides us in the house to prepare for.

Both Kelly and Steve were great conversationalists. We learned about the house, about Pueblo, about their family, and we certainly gave them our share of life, liberty, and our pursuit of interesting Colorado locations.

Edgar Olin is located north of the center of the city enough to be in a very quiet neighborhood off of a two lane road - 10 minutes from city central and 5 minutes from highway 25.

I would certainly recommend this B&B to others.

PS. On our way out we met a young couple who stayed there for a quick overnight. They were married for a year, and were revisiting their "honeymoon" suite. That told us a lot.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2010

On a road trip through the US recently we stayed in style at the Torbett room of the Elgin Olin Bed & Breakfast, owned by a lovely couple from LA called Kelly and Steve. The Edgar Olin is located in a residential district and the main house (where guests stay) dates from the Victorian period. The main house is tastefully restored with true coving, picture rails, skirting boards - effectively late 1800s english style - and decorated in a masculine palette of browns, deep reds and gold. Our room had a high antique bed and wooden writing desk and other furniture and a couples' chaise in the bay window area, and the tiled bathroom and a free standing claw foot bathtub.

In the morning, after a wonderful night's sleep in the antique bed, we joined our hosts downstairs in their dining room that's oddly reminiscent of the film sets of period costume dramas due to the Victorian decor. The table was already laid with matching silver coffee pot set and place settings and had prepared two vegetable omelettes and a pair of freshly baked apple dumplings with cinammon syrup - superb food and freshly cooked.

We would happily stay here again and would recommend it to anybody wanting a welcoming, warm and stylish stay in Pueblo.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
IsleChick
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2010

My husband and I were bicycling cross country and decided to treat ourselves to 2 days at a B & B in Pueblo. We opted for the very reasonably priced Judge Coulter Suite. What luxury! Beautifully appointed room and bath, but the extra sitting room with fireplace and large juccuzi tub, gentle music and scented oils gave us such a feeling of luxury. The hosts pampered the guests, including such nice touches as having coffee at your door before breakfast at whatever time you choose. Everything about the stay was perfect.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Redwood City, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2010

If you want a beautiful, comfortable, home-away-from-home in Pueblo where you feel immediately welcome and where the pampering begins upon arrival, look no further. I had a marvelous stay here in the Torbett Room. It is lovely, spacious, comfortable, with all the amenities to make for a great visit. There's a mini-fridge stocked with much-appreciated complimentary chilled bottled water and some welcoming home-made baked goods, a small microwave, a TV, an attached bathroom with clawfoot tub, a comfortable settee in the turret window (awesome place to read and have tea), beautiful antique furniture, and a delightful quilt on the bed. There's also an antique desk, perfect for writing post cards.

The rest of the house is a historic wonderland. The unique and beautiful carved wood incorporated into the original decor downstairs is definitely worth a look. The design of the parquet wood floor at the entryway, when viewed from above from the beautiful carved wood staircase, pulls off an amazing visual illusion. It appears to be three-dimensional (it reminded of a M.C. Escher print, in that respect).

Upstairs, on the same floor as your room, there is also a library room available to guests (a common room), filled with books, games, comfortable furniture, and a great assortment of complimentary herbal and black teas so you can relax and enjoy tea there anytime.

The breakfasts are delicious (such as homemade, hot-off-the-griddle banana pancakes with fresh bananas and strawberries, sausage and eggs, and even some tasty artisanal cheese). After the pampering, warm welcome, and happy comfort I experienced at the Edgar Olin Bed and Breakfast, I can't imagine staying anywhere else when I'm in Pueblo.

A wonderful adjunct activity to staying at this bed and breakfast is touring the stunning and super interesting nearby Rosemount Mansion and Museum. There, you can take a guided tour of a truly grand historic house built in roughly the same time period as the Edgar Olin House, and learn wonderful details about that era in Pueblo. There's even a good café in the carriage house on the Rosemount Mansion property, so it makes for a wonderful mid-day outing while in Pueblo. The Rosemount Mansion holds many surprises (it was definitely ahead of its time technologically), including some striking, original Maxfield Parrish paintings in one bedroom, and a small museum in the top floor that has a remarkably well preserved Egyptian mummy (among many other interesting and beautiful items).

For truly fine dining featuring locally sourced ingredients in the Pueblo area, I highly recommend Restaurant Fifteen Twentyone at 123 N. Main Street. The night I ate there, talented and innovative Chef de Cuisine, Ben Bedard, created a gastronomic tour de force in the form of a Chef's Tasting Menu for me. I highly recommend requesting a Chef's Tasting Menu if you dine there. Put the menu aside, leave the decisions about what you will eat for dinner in their very capable and ingenious hands, and just let them delight and surprise you with the series of delicious courses they will bring to your table. You won't be disappointed. My mouth is literally watering right now just thinking about it. They have an interesting wine list, too. I enjoyed a delicious bottle of Malbec from the Cahors region of France with my meal. It was a very memorable meal. It was a bit of a splurge, but unquestionably worth every penny to experience their cutting-edge cuisine that blends classic French technique with contemporary flair.

Between having one of the nicest B&B stays I've ever had, enjoying shopping and lunch in Pueblo's fun Riverwalk area, visiting the Rosemount Mansion and my splendid dinner at Restaurant Fifteen Twentyone, I had a great time in Pueblo!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled solo
south fork, co
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2010

We've got a history with the Edgar Olin house. My husband and I actually toured the property years ago before it was renovated, thinking it would make a great B&B. It was completetly gutted, no floors or ceilings in a 3 story house. No electrical or plumbing, Nothing but beautiful old woodwork and and a few intact windows (most were boarded up). We didn't have the knowledge or money to tackle this kind of project, however, and bought a small property in South Central Colorado instead.

Imagine our surprise when we booked a B&B online ten years later and find ourselves back at this beautifully restored home. We almost weren't sure it was the same place except for the location which we distinctly remembered and the fact that there are restoration pictures in the breakfast room. (A must see!)

The restoration work is amazing. Someone really knew what they were doing. If you didn't know that the home had been gutted you'd swear it was all original. Someone took this empty shell and filled it. Walls, floors, ceilings, windows, antique furniture. . . it's beautiful.

Our room, the Henrietta, which we request every time we go back, is very comfortable and we get a kick out of the toilet in the closet. We've shared breakfast with the owner, Kelly in the dining room and had breakfast delivered to our room. Both are delicious.

We especially like the fact that Coffee and pastries are delivered to the room with your wake up knock. State the time you want to be awakened and "TA-DAH" morning refreshments await you outside the door! For $69 bucks? Fantastic!

I think we've stayed 4 times and each has been great. One time we stayed in the Judge something or other suite and that was really nice too.

Thanks Kelly. You guys are doing a great job. Keep it up!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2010

Headed to Pueblo for one night, I was less-than-impressed by the lodging options.

This B&B was a delight. Beautiful restored 1890s mansion. Gracious and helpful hosts. High quality breakfast. Lots of attention to details - DVDs, books, popcorn, tea, bottles of water in the fridge.

Plus, at $90/night, I considered it an incredibly value.

If anything takes me back to Pueblo, I'll definitely stay here.

• Stayed September 2010

Been to Edgar Olin House Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!