“Poor customer service left lasting aftertaste” 2 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #163 of 278 Restaurants in Pueblo
Cuisines: American, Southwestern, Mexican
Pueblo, Colorado
“Poor customer service left lasting aftertaste”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2011

This should be the perfect restaurant. It's small, family-owned, brightly decorated, and the food is great. My wife and I fell in love with it the first time we visited, but as we kept going back, the restaurant's 'rules' felt like an episode of Seinfeld. The famous no cell phone rule is no problem, but their seating rules make no sense. I was in a party of 4, and they would only let us sit at a single big table that was full despite several empty tables together. Strange, but okay -- we waited 30 minutes, then suggested that we just split up and sit at 2 open 2-tops. We were told that we were a party of 4 and could only sit together because we 'came in together', even if we asked to sit separately. I offered that there wasn't any difference between 2 parties of 2 sitting at those tables and our party splitting in two to sit there (with separate checks), and when the server asked the manager, we overheard her say, 'Let them leave'. We did, and I'll never go back. Others have reported similar experiences. Martinez has good food, but I'd rather go someplace that values my business!

• Visited November 2010
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Pueblo, Colorado
“Very Small Family Owned Restaurant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2011

I really love their Mexican breakfast. Its a little soupy but delicious. The American breakfast is not as tasty. The place is extremely small, maybe four tables and a four stool counter. It is nicely decorated with Mexican style artwork. Its basically like eating at your grandma's house. There is usually two older ladies cooking and a nice young woman waiting tables. I've always had good service but I usually don't have special requests and mind my manners. I've heard other people complain about bad customer service and I witnessed a confrontation with one of the older ladies over a party of two insisting on sitting at a three-top. The customers ended up leaving. Also, do not use your cell phone in the restaurant, you will be asked to leave. I like that rule. Sadly, it is not vegetarian friendly. This is a place I like to go alone or get takeout.

• Visited March 2011