“It's the little things” 4 of 5 stars
Review of SpringHill Suites Pueblo Downtown

Save Saved
You added SpringHill Suites Pueblo Downtown to your Saves list
SpringHill Suites Pueblo Downtown
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   150 S. Santa Fe Avenue, Pueblo, CO 81003 (Formerly Cambria Suites)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Free Parking
Ranked #6 of 25 Hotels in Pueblo
Clinton, Tennessee
“It's the little things”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

My gal and I went for an overniter (college football game) without reservations and found this Marriott property very nice. A few little perks would have got it another star, though, i.e. no exhaust fan in bathroom, no mouth wash, no lotion. No big thing, you say, yet for a Marriott property you would have thought better. Was able to get the aforementioned items, albeit not the exhaust fan, at the front desk but why weren't they already in the room? Also, shower head was loose and got an unexpected dousing when I turned it on.

Now for the kudos...very upbeat decor starting with the lobby including the hallway and our room. Actually the curb appeal of the joint is worth mentioning, too. Great beds, decent shower (when tightened) and REAL coffee cups in the room. Suite area even had a wall mounted tv... refrig/micro wave. Right off I-25, yet no traffic noise. The free breakfast is one you don't want to miss, either.Catty corner was a high rise Marriot which seemed strange that 2 properties would occupy virtually the same space. The area of either Marriot has no eateries within sight. It will take a jaunt on I-25 if you are hungry. Would easily recommend this for an extended stay.

All in all, we'd do it again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Kena A, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Pueblo Downtown, responded to this review, October 25, 2012
We are so pleased you enjoyed our quiet and comfortable rooms. Thank you for your comments. We have also taken your suggestions into consideration and made a few changes. We hope you see you again soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Oklahoma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

I've been in the Marriott Rewards program for years. I'm very pleased they offer the Springhill Suites in their line of hotels. In my opinion, it beats a standard Marriott hands down. I really think all hotels should follow suit using the format of Springhill Suites. The rooms are so much larger than a standard room. It makes any stay much more enjoyable to have a separate living area. It's convenient to have a refrigerator & microwave. Families will surely benefit from the added space and amenities. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The location was good and highway noice was minimal. The only thing I would change is the makeup mirror location in the bathroom. It needs to be on the other side of the room for easier access when using it. Other than that, the hotel is great.

Room Tip: The have different sizes so make sure you have the bigger suite. We had Room 401 and it was great.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
CambriaPueblo, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Pueblo Downtown, responded to this review, September 21, 2012
We appreciate your review. I have shared your positive feedback with the staff. We are all so pleased to know you enjoyed your stay. This makes all our efforts worth it!
Colorado Springs
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

I am writing this from the perspective of a person who stays in a lot of Marriott properties. That experience forms the basis for my comparison. I would recommend this hotel to others. However, I have some suggestions for improvement for the management as it pertains to maintenance, cleanliness of eating area and security.

This is a new hotel. The property is has a very modern design with a spacious lobby and ample parking in the paved lot that surrounds the building in addition to a large dirt right next door. The hotel is easily accessible via Interstate 25 and is right across the street from the Pueblo Convention Center and Marriott Hotel. A very nice indoor pool/whirlpool and large workout room are part of the facility.

My hotel room was clean, very spacious, comfortable with a markedly modern, European (can you say IKEA?) design. Microwave oven, sizable mini-fridge, accent chair and sleeper couch are in the room. Multiple flat-panel TVs are in the room (one in the living area and another in the bedroom area). A six-foot high slightly tilted mirror attached to the wall was a nice touch. There is a very nice work desk replete with adjustable office chair, multiple outlets, a wall panel with various video/media plugs that direct to the TV in the living room, four power outlets and a choice of free wired/wireless Internet access. I should note that the Internet download speed tested out at 9MB download and 6.5MB upload, which is the fastest I have ever experienced at a Marriott property. The bedroom has a padded bench for dressing, a somewhat cramped closet (door was hard to access as it mashed up against the bed when opening it) and a floor air-conditioning unit. Overall, this room configuration is pretty much in keeping with the stylish and comfortable SpringHill Suites configurations I have experienced elsewhere. It served me well as I spent much time in the room writing during my time at the hotel.

ROOM EXPERIENCE: STRIKE ONE
At check-in, I asked the person at front desk for a room that faces away from Interstate 25. They visually checked where my room was located and informed me that my room was not facing the highway. I made it into my room, unpacked my travel items and opened my window. I was met with a view of the highway. Sigh. Strike one. I decided to forego the hassle of packing up and moving out and elected to stay in the room as assigned. The highway noise was a minor issue as the rooms are reasonably soundproof. In the realm of "attention to detail", a light in the bathroom was burnt out (and was replaced quickly upon request) as was one of the bedside lights (that we couldn't get to work even after replacing the light bulb). At one point during my stay, the phone rang in my room and when I picked up the hand set was meet with a very loud screeching sound (imagine a combination of a fax machine sound coupled with Hollywood sound-effect of a dying alien and you might get a sense of it). I called the front desk to ask them if they had called or had a message. "Nope" was the answer.

BREAKFAST EXPERIENCE: STRIKE TWO
The free breakfast experience was not good. I got to breakfast about 90 minutes after it opened (which happens to also be 90 minutes before it closed). As previously mentioned, the lobby area is spacious, so breakfast seating was not a problem. I'm not picky about germs, but the presentation of the food was...dare I say...icky...that's a word that my kids in their younger years would have used to describe it. The food counter was very, very messy...everywhere. The food selection was adequate but poorly stocked and messy. The hot meal consisted of eggs, potatoes and sausage patties...and a make-it-yourself waffle station. All of the aforementioned where displayed in a setting where they were all left open, with used serving utensils laying in random places on the open counter, food particles splattered everywhere, spilled milk splattered on the counter, many of the dry items were out of stock, as were the refrigerated items. All-in-all, it was just very unappealing...seemed somewhat unsanitary...definitely unattended to...and there was not enough food (or space to prepare your food) given the number of tables available for seating. Strike two.

SECURITY CONCERN: STRIKE THREE
Mid-day on my second day at the hotel, I went out for a bite of fast food. I came back and parked my car in the lobby by the hotel while I ate my lunch. I observed what appeared to be a homeless man walk into the side of the lobby (the lobby side-door is room-key accessible in a location away from the reception front desk) and rummage around for two minutes. They then came outside and picked through cigarette butts on the tables on the patio by the lobby before wandering off the property on his way. I thought to myself, "How did he get in there without a key?" After finishing my fast food, I walked up to the same door and I could not get in without inserting my key. Upon reporting this to the front desk, I was informed that the side lobby door was open/unlocked during the day. It still makes me wonder why I had to use a key to get in and the homeless guy did not. Perhaps I got there just as the security system changed form unlocked to locked? I can report that the door on the far side of the hotel (opposite end of the hotel from the lobby) was locked and was accessible only by room key...even in the middle of the day. That's a good thing. Even so, the entire event left me wondering about security. Strike three.

SUMMARY
Don't let my remarks keep you from staying here. It's a good hotel. But in the realm of making something good into something great, if I were the manager of this hotel, I would seriously review the execution of essential services like check-in, breakfast and hotel access. It's not enough to make me not want to stay at this hotel again. It's just that my experience in these areas falls so far below the other SpringHill Suites in which I have stayed and become accustomed.

Room Tip: The hotel is right next to Interstate 25. The rooms are reasonably soundproof. Even so, I might sugg...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
CambriaPueblo, Manager at SpringHill Suites Pueblo Downtown, responded to this review, September 21, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your valuable feedback. Your comments have been brought to the attention of our team. We have made a few improvements which will hopefully make your next stay more enjoyable.
Denver
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

My family and I stayed at this hotel when visiting Pueblo for the state fair. The room was nice. Beds were very comfortable. My youngest wanted to sleep on the pull out couch and said it was fine. The room was very clean. The bathroom had a makeup mirror in addition to the regular mirror. The lobby and breakfast area was well decorated and there was plenty of seating. The breakfast buffet had a variety of items from eggs to cereal. the hotel was well placed in a central downtown location.

We visit Pueblo annually for the state fair and have stayed at a few different hotels. Going forward this one will always be our first choice.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
CambriaPueblo, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Pueblo Downtown, responded to this review, September 19, 2012
We are ecstatic to be your destination hotel in Pueblo. As you can imagine the Colorado State Fair is a great time for us. We look forward to seeing you again next year.
Boulder, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

This is a convenient hotel right off I-25, near downtown Pueblo, within walking distance to restaurants and the Riverwalk area, which had live music and paddle boats. The rooms are clean and spacious, with separate bed and living room/TV areas (which those with kids with 7 pm bedtimes will appreciate!). Breakfast was good, maybe a little above standard hotel options, with eggs, potatoes, sausage, hot waffles, cereal/breads, yogurt and some fresh fruit options. Pool area and spa were small, but okay. Fitness area looked good, but we didn't use it. We'd stay here again in Pueblo.

Room Tip: There are some rooms that face I-25. We didn't have one of them, but I wonder if highway noise w...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
CambriaPueblo, Manager at SpringHill Suites Pueblo Downtown, responded to this review, September 19, 2012
Thank you for the kind comments. We are pleased to hear that the hotel was able to accommodate you and your family. Breakfast is a great start to the day and we are glad you enjoyed it.
Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2012 via mobile

I stayed here recently with my husband and two kids ( both under age 11 ) --- in short - I'd say DO choose this hotel. The staff are friendly and responsive to requests - the rooms are large and have a nice layout - 2nd tv by sofa for kids to watch their own thing. The lobby is large, pretty, several places to sit and relax and there is a bar for cocktails in the evening.

Our room was always very clean though the bathroom fan never worked nor was flagged or repaired and the back of TV remote was missing its cover and that was never fixed nor replaced.

I do hate the Marriott chain's extreme dedication to the CFL bulbs - this is the 3rd in the chain I've stayed with recently where there can be barely enough light in the main bedroom to see anything. They need to offer bulb choices to their guests. With only a single bedside lamp in a nice, large bedroom - it's ridiculous to think that's enough light for anyone.

My biggest issues are: some used peanut shells stayed on the hallway carpet for 3 days straight - still there when we left .... And had they actually vacuumed the hall it wouldn't have been missed. The indoor pool was fun for my kids and a break from the heat but as a Mom, I noticed the pool deck trash that wasn't cleaned up for 3 days including a band-aid, and beer can. The outside pool patio is large and could be really nice if it were given any attention. The furniture there is new and comfy but left scattered about, turned over as though a party had been held.

It's my practice to try to alert the hotel staff and management to these items before I post my review, however, on our last morning, as we enjoyed the nice, large free-breakfast, I watched 2 hotel desk staff and a housekeeper stand at the front desk for over 30 minutes, sipping coffee and watching TV. I didn't want to interrupt their " free-time", so I did not alert them to these issues -- but I feel I shouldn't have to.

Overall, the location is great -- just off the highway but 2 short blocks from Riverwalk and it's a comfy stay - they need to simply step up the cleanliness review.

• Stayed July 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We value your feedback as it helps us improve our daily operations. Cleanliness and keeping the hotel well maintained are2 major priorities. We strive to exceed every guest expectations and hope that during your next stay you will notice our improvements.
Arvada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

If you are staying in Pueblo and choose by Mariott points, choose here. Very nice, big, clean rooms. Right down town and close to everything ( in Pueblo ). Other than no food being served ( free breakfeast though), and the bar closed at 8pm, things are great. Front desk lady was VERY efficient and pretty darn funny.

Room Tip: Right on the Highway so choose a room on the west side.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay. We hope to see you again very soon!

Been to SpringHill Suites Pueblo Downtown? Share your experiences!