“Nice Meal” 4 of 5 stars

01908 218050
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
The Carrington Arms is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 1 Restaurants in Moulsoe
Cuisines: British
Dining style: Casual Dining
Description: A family run traditional countryside English Inn, situated in the picturesque village of Moulsoe, near Newport Pagnell and Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire and just 2 miles from Junction 14 on the M1. Our award winning restaurant offers our famous steak counter serving locally raised Bedfordshire Beef and our a la carte menu inspired by great dishes from our culinary past recreated in our unique modern style. We also serve our Through the Day Bar Menu which offers lighter options including sandwiches, homemade burgers and traditional pub favourites. Our Bar provides a selection of draught beers, lagers and real ales and an extensive handpicked wine list. We have a large garden, patio and large car park. We also have 16 en-suite bedrooms offering affordable hotel accommodation.
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
“Nice Meal”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

I've been to this place a couple of times and its always been very good. Finally thought I should make my opinion official here. You choose your steak (and the amount) from a butchers type counter so all cooked to order. There are also non steak items on the menu of course All good quality and some sides and potato options unusual but very tasty and well presented. Unusual gothic style surroundings inside that adds to the experience as do all the staff. Considering all of this its good value for money too.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

• Polish first
“Perfect”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013 via mobile

Went for a lovely meal on Wednesday and couldn't complain about anything! Food was amazing, steak and lovely dauphinois potatoes and pepper sauce. Lots of sides to choose from. Dessert - best I've ever had. Raspberry ripple, you must try it! Service was great and it has a great atmosphere!

CarringtonArms, General Manager at The Carrington Arms, responded to this review, February 5, 2013

I am very pleased you had a 'perfect' meal with us on Wednesday. We all work so very hard to reach perfection in what we do here at The Carrington and I personally take great pleasure in hearing such great feedback like yours.
We hope to see you again soon for an equally perfect meal.

Many Thanks

Peter Dodman
stevechris06
“absolutely worth a visit!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

Okay, so the review isnt without negatives - these arent meant as complaints as by all means we will be back thats for sure but they do need to be mentioned.

We had visited here about two years ago on a snowy evening for my birthday and had a great meal so deciding to try it again we found to our surprise it was much closer to home that I thought. (only 10 mins) so that is great news to us!! :)

We were greeted by a nice waiter who promptly showed us to our table and let us pick where we wanted to sit which was nice, having just missed out on the seats by the fire. Shame but next time hopefully it might be our turn. Decor and standard of interior is nice, its a old building so it has character - but surely you want this right?

Having sat down with the menus we were given quite a long time before being asked for drinks, to be complelely fair the only time we had service which I didnt really rate was the lady serving us. I am not one to single people out, and in all honesty she wasnt bad but she lacked the small details I would expect. When finally asking us for a drink, she got the order wrong - again not a big deal as it was replaced straight away so that was fine. However and maybe I am being fussy, and I admit I am quite particular, I would expect if you order a drink for it to be poured, whether that is wine or water, putting the bottle on the table without pouring and walking off I dont think is great. again just my view, and by no means a reason to complain. When we had ordered and recieved the drinks, we were still then left waiting for our food order to be taken, we werent in a rush so it wasnt a huge problem but when they were so quiet it could have been better. We then were taken over by the waiter which saw us to our seat whom I have to say was a shining star in terms of service and the effort he made, he is a real credit to the restuarant and was a pleasure being served by him :)

The food was great, no faults. Sausage platter was lovely - so tasty and good variety. perfect!

We then both had the lamb, it wasnt what we expected from the menu - not sure what we thought however it was delicious and nicely presented. only feedback I would give is that the menu states you get baby veg with it - which you do but only one of each. Now I dont think they need to change the food, but maybe worth the waiter/waitress mentioning this at ordering and suggesting a side dish of vegetables as had I have known i would have ordered extra vegetables as the ones on my plate were cooked perfectly and could have devoured more of those! :) My partner chose a lovely glass of red wine to match and he thought the quality was fantastic and very reasonably priced.

Now for the pudding, honestly we eat out a lot and are a massive fan of fine dining, hence why we are probably a little picky and I have to say that it was the best pudding I have ever ordered.

There are other restaurants in MK which considers itself to be more gourmet and they cant even compete. We had the raspberry ripple dessert - its a work of art... the mix of shortbread, honeycomb, raspberries, white chocolate and popping candy plus the out of this world candy floss is just a taste sensation, so much so that in the first time in 28 years we ordered a second one to share between us, it really is something else! The chef should be incredibily proud of his creation.

Overall we were really pleased to return, I know we have made some little points of which we feel could be improved it does it no way change our opinion that we will return and having read other trip advisor reviews I am sure the owner will indeed read this and if necessary take any points on board which is a credit that they care so much about improving. Its a delight to see a small and what seems like a family business serve great food in a lovely setting.

Well priced and worth every penny.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Thank you so much for such an honest and detailed review,

I really do appreciate diners who take the time to write such comprehensive feedback negative and positive. In our industry negative feedback on certain key elements of ones dinig experience is in my opinion as/if not more important than positive reviews. (When you look at the same Restaurant for as long as I have you can miss the most obvious mistakes/ possible improvements).
The detail you have gone to to describe such improvements really helps to highlight how we can change our kitchen and front of house staff's approach to certain dishes or aspects of service.
There are some elements of training which we feel need to be addressed and some we thought we had already pointed out to staff ie. pouring of wine and water. I am disappointed on this but am pleased you have indicated these to us as this seems to still be an issue we need to iron out.
The positive comments about the attention and care shown by my team in general is well appreciated and is a great source of motivation for everyone involved. It is true I take all credible and fair critism very seriously and use it as a tool to move forward in everything we do and to improve all parts of our food and service.
Without reviews and feeback like yours I feel that my restaurant would be worse off as a result, and so again I thank you for your comments.

I hope you visit us again very soon as we sound to be in a great location for you.

Many thanks

Peter Dodman
Lochinver, United Kingdom
“Nice country pub, good food not so sure about the service!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

I had a wonderful evening as I hadn't seen the friend I was with for over 10 years so it was quite a special night. IH is a "foodie" and verges on pernickety so when he picked this place I thought it would be good. He found the restaurant on Harden's guide but it's still to be rated by them so will be interesting to see what they think.

We had shared the Whole Baked Camembert (V) (GFA) which was outstanding and IH had the Crispy Whitebait with a Marie Rose Sauce which was also excellent. This was followed by a Butternut Squash and Herb Ravioli (V) with Scrumpy Sussex Cheese, Croutons, Tarragon and Almond Butter. This one is hard to comment on. It was lovely but missed something, was a shade on the dry side in my opinion, didn't notice the Scrumpy cheese and was very disappointed that they had no parmesan to sprinkle on the top. I think it really needed it. IH tried it and thought the same. He had the Gammon Steak with Caramelised Red Onion Mashed Potato, which were to die for and Dauphinoise potatoes which weren't! but then I love dauphinoise and I these just weren't as good as mine but they were a lot healthier!. The gammon was superb. Death By Chocolate and Raspberry Ripple (GFA) to finish. Loved them both. It's a great shame that more restaurants don't do a "Pudding Tasting" option. Pick the puds you fancy but only a mouthful of each one. As I get older I struggle to eat 3 courses, late at night, but just have to finish on a sweet note. We had the Faultline Sauvignon Blanc from Marlborough which was fantastic. One I highly recommend and will try and find for Ruddyglow.

The only "moans" would be that although the girls that served us were nice and very pleasant they didn't know the food/menu - what was in the sauce, what was a particular dish, etc. Everything we asked about had to be checked with the kitchen and, at the end of the evening, when the pub was very quiet, we had to ask for our bill three times. Minor niggles but niggles none the less.

Over all, a fantastic country pub, very good verging on delicious food and good portions. One I am looking forward to going back to.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Northampton, United Kingdom
“Amazing Steaks!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

Decided on a second to try this place and wasn't dissapointed. Being a Sunday night it was very quiet, with a 3/4 tables occupied, although these were finishing up when we arrived.

We were warmly greeted and given option of where to site, as we wanted a quiet corner we were put on our own.

Now for the more unique part, we ordered a share platter of local cooked meats, which was yummy. But the best part was, if having steak, you went up to the counter in the kitchen to choose your steak, they weigh it infront of you. Also a various choice of sides. I went for the ribeye, my date had sirloin.

When the steaks came, they were both cooked to how we requested them, nicely seasoned and flavoured.

This was one of the best steaks i have had in a long time!!

Also to note a good choice of wines by the bottle or by the glass.

My date was impressed as she still wants to see me :-)

• Visited December 2012