“Friendly welcome & good food” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 1 Restaurants in Swilland
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: English
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: The Moon and Mushroom is a quaint 16th century Inn. It is believed it was used as a staging post for prisoners being deported to the Colonies from the Ipswich Assizes. This beautiful old Pub was featured by Sky News all day during the Jubilee weekend and we were chosen from all of East Anglia to light the Rural Beacon which was televised nationally and internationallyThe Moon and Mushroom has won The Best Country Village Pub for Food and Drink on 2 separate occasions.Real Ale from small East Anglia Micro Breweries is served straight from the Tap Room and our varied menu is all locally sourced and cooked here on the premises.This is a fabulous old pub with no juke box, one armed bandit or television
London, United Kingdom
“Friendly welcome & good food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

We had rented a cottage in nearby Witnesham over Easter and this pub was recommended to us. The staff were very welcoming and we had three lovely evening meals there. The rabbit pie was especially good, as were the fish and chips, cottage pie, and steamed puddings, along with a good selection of starters and desserts.

Visited March 2013

Ipswich, United Kingdom
“Nice place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

This is a lovely little pub, found it by accident having taken a wrong turn, food was lovely and very reasonably priced. Pretty outside seating area will be good to go back in better weather. Room for improvement on service, a bit unfreindly not very welcoming but otherwise really nice place and will go back if I can find it again!

• Visited January 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
elizabeth g, Owner at The Moon & Mushroom Inn, responded to this review, March 16, 2013
thank you so much for taking the trouble to write this review and I am delighted that you enjoyed your meal. However, I was mortified to read that you were not greeted in a friendly manner. We are, if anything, overfriendly and the locals always pounce on new people and draw them in. I can't imagine what went wrong and hope it has not put you off trying us again.
the outside patios are beautiful in warm weather for al fresco dining
Elizabeth Gavin
Ipswich
“fab!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

as i was working in the local area, my colleagues and I decided to stop here for a quick lunch as we had some time to kill. I hadn't visited this pub before, however i passed it most days on the way to work and always vowed to visit - all i can say is that i am saddened that I didn't try this pub before!
The food is of highest standards and the chef came into the dining area to reccomend to us meal options and was very helpful when it came to asking the ingredients for the meals so we just knew that the food was home made and authentic and this makes all the difference when dining in a country pub.
I had the vegetarian cottage pie which was made with lentils and other vegetables and came out on a lovely rectangle plate looking rustic and smelling delicious. It was delicious. My colleagues all had the minted leg of lamb which smelt phenomenal.
Will defo be visiting again - the staff were so lovely they make you feel valued and the atmosphere makes it feel like you are almost eating at your cosy grandmas house.
all in all a lovely lovely lunch :)

• Visited March 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Ipswich
“Perfect experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

My husband and I decided to visit this place, as we'd heard good things about it from our friends. The staff were very welcoming, and they greeted us with smiles and polite small talk. I ordered the (home-made) steamed game pudding, and I have to say that it exceeded my expectations. As my husband is a seafood lover, he had the Catalan fish stew, which we were told was hand prepared by the landlord. His thoughts were very positive on the meal. He was given a finger bowl too, which was a nice touch to the food. Although the desserts were very tempting, I was won over by a glass (or a few) of home-made mulled wine, which was perfect for the cold evening. My husband had a pint of traditional ale which was served in a tankard. All in all, a nice evening, and we will see to it that we come another day.

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“lovely frindly atmosphere always feel welcomed”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013 via mobile

we are always made to feel very special with a lovely warm welcome....very friendly and willing to help staff and they never forget your name .....we fully recommend this pub for proper home cooked food....and the owner is a very special lady.....