“Don't have the prime rib!!” 1 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Transit: No public transportation stops, but taxi service is available.
Description: Call 719-481-1800 for reservations of special events as they may blocked online due to limited seating. Exceptional Colorado views with cuisine to match. Casual fine dining awaits you at The Inn at Palmer Divide and the moZaic restaurant. Nestled in the foothills of the Front Range in Palmer Lake, Colorado. It is a short drive for a fantastic dining experience. The Inn is a full service event center that includes overnight lodging and fine dining. It is the perfect venue for a special dinner for two or a banquet for two hundred. Whether you are planning a Wedding, corporate event, training seminar, or just looking for an unforgettable dining experience: The restaurant features two of the most talented chefs in the area and the service staff is guaranteed to make your dining experience a memorable one. The moZaic features a diverse wine list and the Lounge provides happy hour drinks and Tapas daily. You"ll be glad you did!
Monument, Colorado
“Don't have the prime rib!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

First, MO Zaic and Mozaic are the same place. Please read all of the reviews for both before making your decision. We have been dining at Mozaic ever since you opened, 3-5 times annually. Over the years service and food have been up and down but the last few times have been really great. We bring guests to enjoy the food and view. Unfortunately when we were there on May 4th for dinner we were more than disappointed. When I have a bad experience I feel it is appropriate to contact the venue directly and give them opportunity to address the issue. It's been two weeks since I contacted Mozaic, told them my concerns and invited them to contact me to discuss things. Absolutely no response, so that's a major factor for the terrible rating. Here goes.

We had a dinner reservation at 7pm at a window table. We arrived a bit early and saw that you were busy so we told the hostess we would wait until our reservation time at the bar. The bartender, Gary, is great. He makes a fine cocktail served with pleasant conversation. At our reservation time the hostess collected us and seated us at a window table. So far, so good.

Our server, Angela, arrived, checked on drink status; water and menus arrived. She gave us time to look over the menu, which is very nice by the way, and came to take our order. I chose the squash bisque and a 10oz rare prime rib, my husband chose a salad and also the 10oz prime rib; medium rare. Again, so far so good; the evening is beautiful, service and cocktails excellent.

We flag someone down to bring bread. It's prom night and although the dining room is now about half empty the staff seems busy. After about 10 minutes Angela returns with the amuse bouche and tells me that they are out of rare prime rib, all that remains is medium rare. Would I like a rib eye instead? I’m in the mood for prime rib so I say that medium rare is OK. Another 10 minutes go by and Angela returns to say that only medium is available, not medium rare. At this point we should have listened to Angela and ordered something else but we are hungry, have our hearts set on prime rib and don’t want to delay any further so we say go ahead. The soup and salad arrive and are good.

The entrees arrive. Hindsight is 20-20. We should have sent them back immediately and/or asked to see the chef. The plates were not visually appealing. I have never seen such a small, thin, ghastly grey piece of prime rib. If it was 10oz I am surprised, it looked like 6oz. But again, we were really hungry at this point. The potato and asparagus were good, but the meat? Dry, tasteless, tough and beyond well done. A few bites were all we could manage before we gave up. Angela could see we were unhappy, apologized and offered us a free dessert. Since we do not eat dessert we declined, paid the bill and left.

What started out as a wonderful evening ended on a very unpleasant note. I’m not a chef but I am surprised that the entrees brought to our table were allowed to leave the kitchen. It seemed that we got the last two thin slices of overcooked prime rib, just to send something out to the table. I know that there are folks who prefer their meat well done, but well done and dry and tasteless are two different things. Chef Scarlett is new to Mozaic, and according to her bio on the website she trained, at among other places, the Broadmoor. I've eaten at the Broadmoor. If this entree had come out of any of their kitchens she would likely have been at best, reprimanded; at worse? Who knows. it was that bad.

Will we be back to Mozaic again? Yes, we like the venue. Will we ever order the prime rib again? Not likely.

• Visited May 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

Colorado Springs, Colorado
“New Chef Created a Fabulous Menu!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

My husband and I have been going to Mozaic for quite awhile as we enjoy hanging out in the lounge and having their tapas and wine. We hadn't been in awhile and heard their new chef was one to look out for, according to the Gazette. We again hung out in the lounge, it was a snowy night, so we were really the only ones there, but it was quiet and peaceful. We ordered the salad and lamb chops this time, no tapas. They were amazing! perfectly done, they made one to my taste and the other 2 were made to my husband's, such delicious flavor and the sides were perfectly matched! Julienne was the bartender and we just visited, tried wines and enjoyed our meal! Fabulous!

• Visited May 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Palmer Lake, Colorado
“Fine dining in a small town”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

You don't often find too many good restaurants in a small town, but Palmer Lake has more than their fair share and Mozaic is one of them. Had a very pleasant meal there with my wife and a window table looking south toward Pikes Peak. Their menu and beer choices, both local micro brews and national brands, were of a wide variety but not too wide so as you got the impression that they thawed something so as to reach a broad selection of tastes. My salmon was very tasty and presented in a tasteful way as was my wife's main course. They got very busy and were understaffed, so we had a long wait at times for service, and in the end our check. Overall a very nice dining experience.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Colorado Springs, Colorado, United States
“The food doesn't justify the price”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

It seemed to me this restaurant has an identity crisis. It's priced like it should be upscale and outstanding but the food (selection, ingredients and presentation) was more like that of a cafeteria. Very strange. Thank goodness we had a living social coupon. Chalk one up to trying new things but we won't be going back to this one.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Monument, Colorado
“Lost the Recipe”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

I've been a fan of Mozaic for a while and have had many good experiences there. I took visiting family members there for Sunday brunch, normally a top notch experience. I was really disappointed...the service was slow (I had to request coffee three times before it came) and the food quality mixed (fresh-made omelet good, bison ribs bland). The final straw was seeing chocolate chip cookies on the dessert table that were clearly burnt. A quality establishment would have tossed them in the trash without a second thought.

Somehow, they have "lost the recipe".

• 3 of 5 stars Food