“Only for those that drink White Zinfandel” 1 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #3 of 23 Activities in Palisade
Type: Wineries, Food & Drink
More attraction details
Owner description: Talon Winery & St. Kathryn Cellars offer numerous locally produced wines. We make reds, whites, dessert wines, fruit wines and amazingly popular blends. Our location is right next to the highway, so we're super convenient. Aside from wine, we offer a large selection of excellent gifts for your friends and family. You can also learn about Colorado's fascinating wine producing history on our Colorado Wine History display. Finally, we are home to the Colorado Fudge Factory, which makes a tantalizing array of fabulous fudge flavors that is constantly changing. You'll get a lot of variety and a big bang for the time you have available. We look forward to your visit.
Denver, Colorado
“Only for those that drink White Zinfandel”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

The staff was friendly enough but the wines destroyed my palette for the rest of the day.

Talon is not for wine aficionados but rather for those that would mix champagne with grape soda. These are ultra sweet wines often made with fruit, that are best saved for a prom after party.

Skip this place and head up the hill to some Colorado Wineries that are putting out a fantastic product.

Visited September 2013
23MichaelP, Manager at Talon Winery, responded to this review, September 27, 2013
We’re very pleased that our team members were friendly during your visit; however, we would like to enlighten you with more information about our wineries.
Talon Wine Brands consists of three separate and distinct labels: Talon Winery, St. Kathryn Cellars and the Meadery of the Rockies. Talon Winery consists of locally grown grape based wines from dry whites such as Chardonnay and Viognier to dry reds like Cabernet, Merlot and Bordeaux blends. We also make traditional off dry to medium sweet wines such as Gewürztraminer, Riesling an Italian style Rose' a Moscato and even a Port style wine. Our Meadery of the Rockies is primarily Meads (honey wine) and Melomels made from a honey base, blended with fruit wines and some even infused with chocolate. St. Kathryn Cellars label is primarily fruit based wine with the exception of a Pinot Grigio, Riesling, White Merlot and a Concord grape. All totaled we make 42 distinctly different wines and as our owner likes to say, “A wine for every palate”. Each label has a definite following with fruit wines out selling traditional wines by a substantial margin.
I believe you tasted wines at our St. Kathryn cellars bar which were obviously not to your liking, if you had wandered down the hall separating our tasting rooms I’m certain you would have found wines more to your liking on the Talon side. Unfortunately our team members can’t tell from appearances what a customer’s taste may be we simply give the customer what they ask for.
I sincerely hope that your preferred wineries “up the hill” received good reviews from you since Trip Advisor reflects both good and bad experiences. By the way, there are some very good wineries “down the hill” as well, Canyon Wind and Plum Creek to name a couple. In my opinion it’s a good idea to become more educated on businesses before leaving unfavorable reviews as I am certain that a majority of wine industry workers in this area love what they do and work very hard to earn their reputations!
As an aside I will post the 21 gold medals we have won this year alone in wine competitions across the country. Obviously, we must be doing something right!
If you ever find yourself in the neighborhood again please stop in and let us find something more to your liking! Oh, and by the way, we don't even make a White Zinfandel!

1. Cherries ‘N Honey- Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo- Class Champion

michael@talonwinebrands.com

Denver, Colorado
“Not satisfied”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013

Visited at my brothers suggestion. Pretty place, easy to find. Wines good. Loved the Pomegranate wine the best. Service not to friendly. Kept being overlooked as other customers received quality service. Bought a case of wine to share with friends. Friends loved the wine also. One friend visited this month. Said she was treated like she was not there, often being overlooked and avoided by employees as they went about helping other customers. I don't believe I will go back.

Visited July 2013
We are very pleased that you enjoyed our wines and at the same time very sorry to hear that you feel you received poor service.
This is not an excuse for poor service rather it might shed some light on what happened during your visit. For about one and a half to two weeks before Colorado Mountain Wine Fest we had our numerous volunteers who worked the festival in (periodically) for a brief but intensive training session so they would be prepared to sell wine at the festival. I was concerned at the time that it would appear to our customers that we were giving preferential treatment to some and sub-par service to others. By the looks of your review it appears my concerns were valid! It is extremely important for you to know that we sincerely appreciate ALL of our customers. We would never consider in ordinary circumstances treating one better than another. Please accept my sincerest apologies. As for your friends visit earlier in the month I am at a loss. As I stated before we appreciate all of our customers and do our best to give excellent service to everyone!
Once again please accept my apologies to both you and your friend. Hopefully you’ll give us another chance!
Michael Paxson
Retail Operations Manager
Talon Wine Brands
970-464-9288
Allenspark, Colorado
“Great trio of wineries”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

The Talon wine brand encompasses three different wineries - Talon Winery, St. Kathryn Cellars and the Meadery of the Rockies. The Meadery is in a separate building on G Road in Pallisade, while St. Katheryn's and Talon share a building just off Rt. 70 at Exit 42.
The Meadery is where the wines are produced. They would be happy to give you a tour of the facilities - give them at least 24 hours' notice. If you have time, this is a nice view into the production process. Although I'm not a honey fan, I was pleasantly surprised at the different meads they have - including less sweet wines.
St. Kathryn's is the center for fruit wines. They are a bit sweet for me, but the fruit flavors burst from these wines. They have some really interesting flavors, including blueberry, pomegranate and raspberry.
Talon has some wonderful, more traditional grape varieties. They are well-balanced and reasonably priced.
The staff is friendly and knowledgeable. Definitely stop here, try the amazing variety (they product 42 different wines!) and enjoy the hospitality.

Colorado Springs, Colorado, United States
“Two words: Talon Viognier”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

We've sample three vintages of this lovely wine and it's just superb. I have a friend who is an avowed red wine drinker and even she likes this grape. My husband and I always make this tasting room our first stop on our annual Palisade pilgrimage -- nice variety and lots of truly excellent options. This most recent trip, we stocked up on the viognier and Wingspan white. You'll find the staff well-versed, funny and friendly, which adds to a great experience. We unfailingly enjoy crossing the hallway to the co-owned St. Kathryn Cellars. Park your pretension at the door here, please, because the sample selection includes many a fruit and berry wine . We typically pick up several of of these novelties for entertaining and have been known to trot out a blackberry wine over Thanksgiving or an ice cold lavender wine after a BBQ. We also love this place for the wine-inspired gifts, tools and decor items, and usual find a Christmas gift or two. The Talon side also offers small-batch fudge, a small selection of hand crafted cheeses and a hefty variety of local salsas, jams and sauces in bottles. We've been known to pick up wine, cheese and crackers, and make an al fresco meal of it, accompanied by super fresh local produce and locally bottled basil marinade from one of the many roadside stands. You folks with small kiddos: make note that this rambling structure even has a small play area in one corner. Oh yeah!

Littleton, Colorado
“A must stop”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

Very conviently located. Very friendly people and very knowledgeable people and very friendly. I was on Sunday going back to Denver. I will be back again. Thanks a million.

Visited August 2013

Been to Talon Winery? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage Talon Winery, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.