“Perfect Pagosa Springs Getaway” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Be Our Guest Bed & Breakfast

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Pagosa Springs
Be Our Guest Bed & Breakfast
You added Be Our Guest Bed & Breakfast to your Saves list
19 Swiss Village Drive, Pagosa Springs, CO 81147   |
Colorado Springs
“Perfect Pagosa Springs Getaway”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2010

We stayed in the Rustic Room on a July weekend for our anniversary. We booked for 2 nights and decided to stay for an extra night. We found the room was VERY quiet and private. I had a nasty cough that developed just before we came and I was so nervous that I would disturb the other guests. Everyone swore that they never even heard me, even those just next to and below us. Based on what I researched, the value for this area was outstanding! (The Hot Springs Resort was double the price for just a standard motel room without breakfast.) This room has a lovely jacuzzi tub, which they have decorated with candles and accessible matches. Please note that there is no shower in the room. However, you can use the one just down the hall that no one else used during our stay. There is a large guest sitting room downstairs and another sitting area upstairs, both with TVs and plenty of seating. We also used the downstairs kitchen fridge to stock our own water bottles and drinks for our daily activities. I've never seen this at a B&B and thought it was a nice amenity. There is a wonderful porch and patio with chairs that was just perfect to watch the evening roll in. They are about 5 miles from downtown which we did not find inconvenient at all. I think we preferred the quiet of being out of town.

Breakfast was delicious each day, but not overly abundant. You will leave fueled for the morning, but not stuffed. Probably our favorite breakfast was french toast creme brulee with strawberries and peaches. We enjoyed every breakfast and always cleaned our plates!

I will say that Pam and Tom were highly accomodating. If we asked for advice (fishing, hiking, restaurants, area info/history, hot springs info, drug store), they had an answer. Also note that they do not accept credit cards, just check or cash so come prepared. My phone is T-Mobile and my husband has AT&T and we never had a cell signal.

There is no air conditioning. It was mid 90s during the day so we slept with the small windows open and the ceiling fan on. It was cool enough to sleep, but we would have preferred A/C as we are used to having it at home. However, we never felt hot in the room. I think the basement level rooms were much cooler.

We would both highly recommend Be Our Guest and would stay again in a heartbeat. Tom and Pam truly care about their guests and the experience you have while you're in their home.

I would also recommend the Hot Springs, though not during the day when it is 90+ outside. I am still thinking about Kip's shrimp tacos. MUST GO! The river tubing was a little bit disappointing. The water was pretty low already so we spent a lot of time stuck or lifting up our butts instead of just floating along relaxing. Still an enjoyable day on the river even with that! Fishing on East Fork Rd. was fun, the scenery is amazing! It was a perfect anniversary weekend getaway with a few fun activities and a wonderful atmosphere to relax.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Puyallup, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2010

Hosts were more than accommodating, making suggestions as to where to go for hiking, as well as wonderful places to eat dinner. Even though I stayed in loft I had no problems with noise levels even being a light sleeper. Up stair was immaculately clean and homey. Breakfast were all well prepare and quite tasty with offers of more. I was quite satisfied with my stay and would stay here any time I’m through PS . I was unable to stay for my whole scheduled trip and Tom made sure I was refunded my last day reservation without any problem.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled solo
denver
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2010

Don't stay in the Indian room -- the kitchen is overhead. We were woken up almost 2 hours early by constant footsteps on the creaky ceiling above our heads.
Then the shower was cold; with the owner's shrugging their shoulders at the cause, and offering no discount or other gesture.
Also, because other guests (not in our party) wanted to wake up earlier, we ate re-heated (microwaved) pancakes. A bummer for my first B&B experience.
Nice enough people personally, but I would not stay there again.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
Minga_7, Owner at Be Our Guest Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, August 29, 2011
First, I would like to thank you for making us aware of the water situation. We do not shower in our guest rooms and had no idea there was no hot water in The Indian Room bath. If we appeared puzzeled it was because we had just upgraded the hot water recently and added a large hot water on demand system. You and my husband dicussed hot water on demand at the time. The room you were in is the closest to those hot water heaters. We were puzzled. We had our plumber out immediately. A few days and several hundred dollars later we had 2 recirculation pumps installed and a couple of other tweeks to the system that serves 7 bathrooms, 2 kitchens and a busy laundry room. We hope no one else has to shower in cold water! Brrrr!

You were here during ski season. Our skiers like to be on the slopes fairly early or they lose their advantage of staying this close to the ski area. We usually get an agreed upon time each evening for breakfast the next day. We are up at dark-thirty to start breakfast for our guests and everything we prepare is fresh and ready to serve when guests arrive at the table. I am sorry you chose not to come up to breakfast with everyone. I am sure it was noisy, with guests laughing and talking and moving about in anticipation of a great day on the slopes. I did save your breakfast for you. I did not realize you wanted an adjustment on your room rate since you didn't mention breakfast or not sleeping. I apologize for my lack of perception. Please, believe I do not want to be part of an unpleasant experience. We would have moved you to another room or tried in some way to make your stay a memorable one, in the nicest way. Don't miss out on the great times you can have staying in B&B's because your first stay did not meet your expectations.
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2008

We stayed here over Christmas and it couldn't have been more perfect! You really do feel like you are part of the family when you stay here. We stayed in the Coyboy room and it was quiet and cozy. We had full access to the kitchen and made many of our own meals which allowed us to eat healthier and save money.
On Christmas, the hosts made a wonderful dinner for all the guest as most restaurants in town were closed. They are some of the most thoughtful people I have ever stayed with!
They had discounted lift tickets for us to the slopes and discounted tickets to the spa as well.
They have some sweet big dogs that are warm and will curl up at your feet. What could be more perfect?
The snow is always plentiful in Wolf Creek and we had some of the best ski conditions ever!
The only negative I have is that the rooms do not have locks on them. I felt safe, but felt safer having the bed scooted in front of the door while I slept.

• Liked — the friendly staff
  • Disliked — no locks on the room doors
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Santa Fe, NM
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2007

If you want home town loven and hospitality this is your place. Their prices are more than fair and always under the market. Breakfast is a culinary delight, with home made recipes like pumpkin pancakes with sausage, yummy coffee, fresh fruit or compote and special teas. Everything is pristine with great beds and a casual country Ambiance.

Pam, your hostess, offers soothing southern comfort in Colorado and welcomes all as family. This is the place for your family reunion, because you can have the whole place and two living spaces and your own kitchen and fridge.

If you are a youth you can go skiing or go to the springs and stay in the loft for only $35, amazing.

If you are like me a single woman, who loves to travel, but hates hotels, this is your place. Safe, nuturing, pristine, special soaps, no harsh chemicals, friendly family dogs and a great place to go for a walk up the hill or down to the river and of course the springs. Treats available in the kitchen and if it's the right night you may even be offered a glass of wine.

I read the other review, I can only imagine it was written by someone vendictive. Why? Because Pam and Tom are honest spiritual people and I don't believe it is within their ability to be dishonest in anyway. They often error the other way with their generous hearts.

Fireplaces for cosy ski nights too and you can adjust the temperature in the space you are in. Pam wants you to feel at home and be comfortable always. Enjoy!

• Liked — Friendly family astmospher, clean, no harsh chemicals, attention to detail, great breakfast.
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2007

I had made a reservation with a deposit. The day before I was to arrive I heard from a neighbor that there was no water in the subdivision. However, the owners refused to acknowledge that there was a problem. When I got to town sure enough there was no water, so I stayed at The Springs in town, which I highly recommend. They also refused to refund my deposit. After two days the water was back on, but there were signs about conserving water all over the neighborhood and also warnings that is was likely to be off again because of some maintained problems with the pump and storage tank. So we went and stayed at the house and they credited the deposit so that we did not have to pay anything additional, but also got no refund for the days we stayed at the hotel. We stayed in the lower unit which is like a dungeon—only some windows in the front. Also only two wine glasses and they didn’t match and a lock on the thermostat so no way to adjust the temperature. Also rather noisy with the owners and their beautiful dogs running around upstairs. It was clean and the beds were comfortable. Except for the water thing, I might have thought this was a nice place when I was in graduate school, but then I couldn’t have afforded to lose $800. Also this is not a B&B—there is no breakfast as far as I can tell. My advice is don’t give these folks your money—stay in town and have a nice soak in the hot springs and stay in a room where you can adjust the temperature and enjoy free coffee and tea. I have never written a review before but this fried me so much I decided others deserved to know.

Stayed February 2007
Minga_7, owner/innkeeper at Be Our Guest Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, June 14, 2007
This incident occurred the week of Christmas, 2006. This family, who are related to our neighbors, made reservations the 1st week of Feb., 2006, at our GROUP RATE, which does not include meals. It is on our web site. They booked our entire B&B for 7 nights. Our place was then unavailable for 10 1/2 months. We turned away and/or referred hundreds of inquiries during that time. We require a 50% non-refundable deposit during holidays and special events. This family sent only half of the required deposit. It was sent by another member of the family, not the author of this the negative review. Because our neighbor is a sister to these guests, we did not seek that deposit balance. We planned just to wait until they settled up at the end of their stay.
The writer of this review never paid one cent to us at any time.

The reservation was for Dec. 21 to 28, 2006.
These are the very busiest days of the year for lodging in a ski town. We rely heavily on the income generated during Christmas Break. At about 4 PM on Dec. 20, we received a call from the neighbor-relative informing us of the water main break in our mountain subdivision. At the time we still had water but no guarantees of how long it would last. I offered to take her realtives, our guests, to a local hot mineral bath facility for bathing until the repairs could be made. We bought gallons of water and other products to insure hygiene and cleanliness for our guests. Later that same evening, we got a call from Kansas City. This time it was the Iowa sister who had sent the 1/2 deposit. She said they would NOT be coming. That NO ONE would be coming and for us not to call any of them because they had cancelled all flights and plans. Besides the blizzard hittng Denver was causing delays. She was going on to Dallas. We were absolutely mortified. Here we sat with our B&B in it's Christmas best, and no guests.

We did aknowledge. We knew it was a very serious problem. But, it was being worked on. The freezing temperatures here were not helping and parts had to be ordered. In all, we were totally with out running water for only a few inconvenient hours. Since our B&B is between the pump and the break, we were still getting water pumped to us. It was being used just as quickly as it was being treated and pumped. It was a difficult time for homeowners as well as vacation rentals.

We were not expecting anyone from this group to show up after the calls were made to us the day before. However, the writer of this poor review must have not got the message. We were surprised to find they were in town at another facility and had to give up their room to previously booked guests. So, on Sat., Dec. 23, they called to say they were on their way to the B&B.

We greeted them with an apoplgy and all of the information we had at the time. They stayed 4 nights. We were never asked to adjust the heat. There is forced air gas, a gas parlor stove and 2 portable oil heaters to use on that floor. We gave them the entire ground floor, for 2 people. I would not call this area a dungeon. It is panelled with old, real wood panelling. We are on a hillside and the windows are all across the front and the west side. That is where the sun is in SW Colorado in the wintertime. One of the evenings, they prepared the Family Christmas Dinner and had the other family members, who did show up and were staying elsewhere, over to our B&B to celebrate their holiday.

They left on Wed., Dec. 27th in the morning with out ever saying a word to us. Then, in feb., they called asking why they had not received their deposit back. Our rate for the entire ground floor was $250 per night. The half deposit we received was for $875. It didn't even cover their 4 night stay. Obviously, we did not ask for the difference.

In twevle years of serving the traveling public from around the world, we have had only 2 poor reviews. They both resulted over unreturned deposits. This poor review is mean spirited and intended to harm our reputation and our business.

Been to Be Our Guest Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!