“Not what I expected but not bad either” 3 of 5 stars

Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #11 of 14 Hotels in Ouray
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Denver
“Not what I expected but not bad either”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

We stayed 2 nights here in Sept. When we arrrived in the parking lot I was disapoointed, not having been to Ouray before I expected the usual Comfort Inn. Once inside I felt better, THe room was clean , although nothing special. Some people were in the hot tub which I found to be odd that it sits right in the parking lot. We did not use it because of this. I did not want to sit where everyone is coming and going. It seems that it could have been put in a better place. The breakfast was OK and the staff was friendly. Now that I have seen other places there I may have chosen differently but all in all it was a good place to stay.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Salt Lake City
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

What a view from the walkway just outside my room! Fantastic fall colors. Greeted with bright, cheery welcome by Betty, the owner. Lobby cozy and decorated in appropriate Autumn colors & favors. Informed me of hot tub, laundry and pop/ice machines, and told me to be sure to join them for breakfast including sausage and eggs. Room impeccably clean, quiet with outside entrances to walkways (which I prefer for loading stuff from my car). Large screen TV, coffee maker, well lit mirror at the vanity for shaving. Wireless internet decent, which surprised me given this remote mountain location. Quick 1 - 2 block walk to restaurants & shops with a lot of local flavor & personality. Give me a hotel with local flavor like this anyday, over the big box, which there were none of I could see. There appears to be several no-name hotels here, but looked more like bed & breakfast. Here I got my points and am recognized as a frequent stayer with the brand.

Room Tip: NO rooms have a bad view
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

The front desk staff made us feel welcome when we arrived. Our rooms were clean and well appointed. Since we were taking a Jeep Trip (over Black Bear to Telluride) we wouldn't be spending a lot of time in the room, but enjoyed spending an evening on the deck. Ouray is a relatively small town and this property is very close to the main shopping street. The breakfast was just fine; nice and clean and well stocked. We'd definately stay here again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Austin, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

This was reasonably priced for the location. They have clean rooms that have newer amenities. The views from the room are amazing (so is almost any other location in town!!) and the staff are nice. They have a hot tub out front which would be perfect to sit in and stare up at the mountains except the chlorine cloud and malfunctions kept me at bay. Room was average clean and standard for bed/bath. Scratchy towels. Breakfast was good selection with solid protein items (eggs, yogurts, bacon) Good room, gorgeous location and a fun little town.

Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Shermans Dale, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

Have stayed at others in town. But this place is always perfect always clean. Can not beat a free breakfast either. The owner Betty is always the best host. Her staff is always accommodating .Laundry in the basement is always helpfull after a week on the road.After dinner in town just relax in the hot tub. Will stay here again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Grand Junction, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

I personally loved the hotel. The ambiance was amazing. Views were some of the best I have ever seen. The owners have hung hummingbird feeders throughout the hotel. Between the hummingbirds and the views I was on the balcony most of the evening. I enjoyed the breakfast and the owners taking the time to visit with us each morning. It wasn't a cooked to order breakfast, but they had a great selection. The owners offered friendly advice to help us plan out each day and always asked how are day was the day before. You won't find that just anywhere. I'm not sure what the last person was referring to. I found the staff and the Hotel professional and charming.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

As a hospitality employee I find it laughable that this place can charge $130 a night for a room, even for the location. The rooms are furnished with items from the 1980's and seem like they haven't been properly cleaned since that time as well. The hot breakfast is nothing more than microwaved disks of sausage and eggs. My stay at this location was so unenjoyable that we checked out a day early. When I told the owner Betty that we were going back home she laughed at me. From this example and her childish unprofessional responses to reviews on this site it is apparent that she is not a hospitality professional and I have no idea why Choice Hotels would let her run an inn that carries their name. Can't wait to read her response.

• Stayed August 2012
BettyWolfe, Owner at Comfort Inn, responded to this review, August 28, 2012
I'm sorry that this was a bad experience for you and I am sorry if you found me or my Tripadvisor responses unprofessional and childish. I never like to hear that one of my guests had a bad experience while staying with us. I would usually remember if someone was this unhappy with their stay , so I am truly surprised by this review. From time to time we do have people who don't like our eggs that we have for breakfast. However if they don't like the eggs, they usually do like the waffels, yogurt, hard boiled eggs, or fruit. Hotel prices at our Inn are comparable to other hotels in this area as well as in the Denver area and actually more reasonable than some during peak season. Working in the hospitality business, you should be aware of this.

I did do a querry to find the information on your stay and thought that I would give you a discount since obviously you were not happy with your stay. However you were in on a Special Employee Discount and you paid $35.00 a night for your room not $130.00 as you led me or other readers to believe by your comments. You did change your room stay the night before you left from 3 nights to 2, and I had already left at that point. I'm sorry we actually didn't have a chance to speak, but I will speak with my employees, in regards to this matter.

Been to Comfort Inn? Share your experiences!