“Wonderful experience” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 12 Ouray B&B and Inns
Unknown
“Wonderful experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

We stayed here for one night before heading over to Telluride for skiing. The St. Elmo hotel had very nice owners. It was very clean and the decor was very charming. Our room did not have a television but I was not disappointed by that fact because why watch tv when there's so much beauty in Ouray to be seen. St. Elmo Hotel was very peaceful and it's a wonderful place to stay. We were offered breakfast which was good! We will definitely be back and we thank you for the great hospitality.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Riverton
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

My boyfriend took me to Ouray recently on my first trip to see him in Colorado. After driving to through the country side, we stopped in Ouray. We hadn't planned on staying over night, but made a last minute decision to stay in town. I liked the look of the St. Elmo's Hotel so we decided to venture in. I was very impressed with the style of the hotel. I love the victorian, charming feel you get when you open the door. The room was cute, no t.v., but it was exactly what I pictured it to be. The Bon Ton restraunt was fabulous. The food, wine, and the service was simply amazing... my mouth waters for their Black Nasty. Yum! The waiter hit it spot on when recommending our dessert that would best fit our wine we were drinking. And the dim lit room was the perfect setting for a wonderful evening

All in all, I will definitely be returning. It was a wonderful experience. The only complaints I have is that We were up extremely early and there was no coffee, or breakfast to be found before we finally decided to leave at 7:00 am. Other than that, I have no complaints. I would tell anyone looking for a romantic, personable, and charming weekend getaway, to go and see for themselves exactly what this place has to offer.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Denver, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

My husband and I have been visiting the St. Elmo for the past ten years and recently stayed again for our tenth anniversary. We were very sad by what the new owners have turned this amazing place into:( It was dirty, the service was very bad and it smelled like a coffee shop in Amsterdam. Our room smelled like pot the whole time we were there as did the lobby. They only put out wine and food for the "wine social" when we tracked someone down each night and reminded them. We have years of great memories at the St. Elmo and this was a HUGE disappointment. We will never return again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
StElmoHotel, Manager at St. Elmo Hotel, responded to this review, January 11, 2013
We are very sorry to hear that you had a poor experience at the hotel. We do want to let everyone know that the St. Elmo is back under the established ownership that owned and operated the hotel from 1984 thru 2011. With this news, we hope that you will book a room and experience once again the grace and charm of the st. Elmo Hotel.
Cancun, Mexico
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

We can to stay on Ouray for a quick vaction from wrok, We walked in to get checked in and rang the bell this little guy came out about 6-8 min later and looked at us and said YES!! I said we are here checking in, ok so he was rude the hole time telling us that he was playing video games and had to stop and help us..My husbamd thinks his name is Matt, So anyways tells us wine and apptizers will be out, so we came down and did not see anyting, instead we walked in on him telling some guess that the Bon Tons food was not good to go over to the mexican place.We ate at the Bon Ton and the food was good and the service was the best in town..Matt needs to be trained on how to treat people..won't be back to the ST. ELmo, BonTon yes

Room Tip: go some where else
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Littleton, Colorado, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

Get it in writing ! When we got there the price was different ..I mentioned it to the owner and he made a crack about giving us a discount..when he handed me the keys he did not give me a copy of my credit card ..just looked at my account and he charged me the price I was not quoted....hmmmm??? The bed was rock hard and I only met 1 person that worked there that smiled we opted out of eating at the BonTon because of all the horrible opinions on Tripadviser and other websites ..maybe it is because when we were sitting by the hottub we watched a waitress and busboy smoking a bowl..could that be the reason the service and food are not what they use to be ? If I sound bitter it was because it was a trip back in time as we have eaten and stayed here many times not again, found so many other places that we will be visiting.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Charleston, South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

A close friend and I stayed in the St Elmo for three nights while taking fabulous day trips with Switzerland of America Tours - HIGHLY recommended for the outstanding scenery - IF you can tolerate narrow dirt roads with sheer drop offs of hundreds of feet.
My husband and I had stayed at St Elmo three years ago in a spacious suite and liked it very much. Although the hotel changed ownership in December 2011 it is as good as ever.
My friend and I each had a small bedroom with bath in between. Perfect for our situation. Our rooms overlooked the restaurant's outdoor patio, but it had vacated by 10pm and the diners were couples and not loud, so this was not a problem. Beds were very comfortable; everything was squeaky clean, staff and owners friendly and accomodating. Breakfast consisted of lots of fresh fruit, muffins, good coffee (and tea). Blueberry cheese blitzes were on the menu two days and one day a delicious Mexican egg casserole. I asked for, and they were happy to give me, the recipe for the casserole.

Room Tip: All rooms are very different, so inquire about what is available to best fit your situation.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Santa Fe
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012

We're so glad to have stayed in The St. Elmo for a variety of reasons but the most important one being that it was peaceful and quiet. We slept like babies! Good babies! The staff is very polite and pleasant. The room was clean and cozy. The breakfast was delightful. We'll be back!!

Room Tip: We had room #4...upstairs center of building on the south side. Street noise tapered down around ten...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to St. Elmo Hotel? Share your experiences!