“Wonderful Gem in Ouray, CO” 5 of 5 stars

2.5 of 5 Motel   |   510 Main Street, PO Box 544, Ouray, CO 81427   |
Ranked #7 of 14 Hotels in Ouray
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Columbia, South Carolina
“Wonderful Gem in Ouray, CO”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

I was working on a writing project in Colorado and wanted to get up to Ouray for some inspiration over a weekend. The Ouray Chalet Inn was perfect. The hotel was very affordable with great personal service. The location is right in the middle of town and as central as it could be. The rooms are nothing fancy and a little bit dated but everything was clean and decorated nicely. My room even had an old speaker that would play big band classics during the day. The speaker had an on/off switch, but who would turn it off?! This will be the only place I stay in Ouray in the future.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Orem, Utah, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

The place I usually stay wasn't available for booking from the Corporate website, so I did a google search and came up with the Chalet Inn. I've walked through the parking lot many times during my previous stays in Ouray, and the price was amazingly awesome so I booked it. My wife and I stayed for our Valentine Trip, and we were surprised at how nice the accommodations were. When we checked in the staff was very helpful and friendly, and suggested we eat out early, since Ouray "rolls up the sidewalks at night".

When we entered our upstairs room, there was music playing from a speaker on the wall, with a switch to turn it off. Reminds me of my road trips back in the 1970's. Very fun. The room was very quiet, surprisingly so, for being on the main street in town near several bars. That being said it was a Wednesday night.

About the only complaint I have is that the in-room wall heater was tough to adjust to a "just-so" setting. But too warm is not that bad for me anyway.

Room Tip: Upstairs rooms have excellent views.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Fresno, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

Good location right next to everything downtown. Nice little place with great character -like the look of the place and the hot tub outside right next to the rooms and the classic jazz playing when we get back to the made up room. It had a fridge and microwave and coffee maker and free wifi, everything we needed. Wished it had a vent in the bathroom after eating at the Mexican place across the street, but the window opened so we survived. The water was great, rich with mountain minerals like I like it, the sink and shower were separate rooms which was helpful and it got immediately hot in the shower (right near the office).
Lora was very cheerful and accommodating, even though we were some dirty ice climbers. I liked helping out a small business with very reasonable rates -especially if you are going to stay a few days because you can just become an ice park supporting member and she gives you a discount on the room that ends up covering the difference and some.
So, not big city 5 star, but certainly 5 star for what I expected for the price.

Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Bologna, Italy
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

Last October I spent two nights at the Chalet Inn while touring Colorado. I had previously stayed in the past years at different places in town but either they didn't fully satified me or were now above my budget. I had a look on Tripadvisor and I opted for this motel since it matched both my quality and rate requirements. As a walk in customer without any reservation I arrived early in the afternoon and I was offered the last available room. The young manager who checked me in was very kind and professional, making the room available in a short time and giving me useful informations about some hiking trails around town. The following day she even lent me a couple of guides. The room was located at the second floor and unusually for this kind of accomodation as soon as I walked in I was welcomed by some soft music spread by a wall speaker. It was a large and impeccably clean accomodation, equipped with all those appliances I hope to find when travelling: fridge, microwave and coffee maker. The beds were comfortable and the wi fi connection worked well. In the morning guests are offered hot coffee in the lobby. If any kind of even basic breakfast were offered I wouldn't hesitate and rate the Ouray Chalet Inn "excellent".

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Plano, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

In this small town everything is small, the restaurants the shops the hotels but with that being said this hotel has 2 of the nicest ladies I've ever met in the hotel business. The rooms were clean and the beds were very comfortable. The pillows were to die for, very fluffy. The view of the mountains, from every room, was gorgeous. The hot tub was clean and big enough for a family of 5. The ladies at the front desk gave me advise of where to eat or things to do. They gave us weather updates or just talked to us like we'd known each other for years. I would stay here everytime from now on.

Room Tip: Every room has a view of the mountains.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Papaikou, Hawaii
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

We stayed there in late October an was pleasantly surprised.Clean comfortable rooms,staff was very helpful.right in the middle of town so you can walk every where.Very reasonably rates , fast wifi. I'll stay there next time in Ouray.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Price, Utah
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Good place to stay the rooms are average and comfortable. We had 2 queens. It is interesting that they have a speaker in your room where they play music through. It can be turned off but kind of neat. We had a second floor room with a great view of the Ampitheater mountain bowl.

Room Tip: second floor has best views but no elevator
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Been to Ouray Chalet Inn? Share your experiences!