“Vapor Cave is worth it” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Wiesbaden Hot Springs Spa & Lodgings

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Ouray
Wiesbaden Hot Springs Spa & Lodgings
You added Wiesbaden Hot Springs Spa & Lodgings to your Saves list
625 5th St, Sixth Ave. and Fifth St, Ouray, CO 81427   |
Ranked #14 of 14 Hotels in Ouray
Arlington, Virginia
“Vapor Cave is worth it”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

We went on a Sunday night right before Christmas. The vapor cave and hot spring pool was so relaxing. The staff was very helpful. The towels, cloth robe, warm fireplace, helpful staff and atmosphere was great. The owner was always around to tell you a personal story about the history of the spa and how it all came about. When we would ask about restaurants and shopping, she gave us tips to help us through. It made it very simple. All of the other guest were friendly and made it a very nice and relaxing visit. I will definitely go back.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Montrose, Colorado
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

I just tried to book a room and it was literally the most confusing conversation I have had with a front desk in years. Aside from working with one person, I then was transfered to another kind but misinformed desk agent that told me the complete opposite.
I've stayed there before and it's lovely. Just very concerned that I'm not getting my questions answered in a professional or accurate fashion. Makes the booking of my travel plans very difficult.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Rhinelander,WI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

Located in a beautiful box canyon, Ouray is nestled in the San Juan mountains. The Weisbaden , located just two blocks up from Main Street Is not fancy, but comfortable and clean. This rustic lodging offers unique hot springs both in the outdoor pool and the Loreli soaking pool. Massage and vapor cave are also available.

• Stayed October 2012
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

unique hotel. sunroom is a beautiful room, I recommend it. only negative is no bathtub. the hot spring pool was glorious. blended in with the locals at their Octoberfest celebrationat the community center, watched locals dance to the polka and enjoy lots of beer! would like to spend more time here

Room Tip: The sunroom is a beautiful room that we enjoyed, the only negative is there is no bathtub
denver
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

While the surrounding mountains reflect the morning sun's rays, you can relax in the outdoor pool, warming from the outside, while fresh coffee warms from the inside. For something hotter or more therapeutic, you'll inhale the warm moist air in the vapor cave on the lower level. The natural water drip from the rocks will lull you, warming your mind; whether you stay in the cave for two minutes or ten, whether you cool off after the cave in the outdoor pool, whether you stay in a room in the house, or a separate room along the courtyard, you can't miss the rugged, astounding view of the San Juan mountains called "Switzerland of America," just outside the door. Just two blocks east of downtown Ouray, this quaint hotel, resort and spa was just what we needed. Drive the two short blocks to town, or walk down for breakfast, shop in a bookstore located on ground floor of the Beaumont Hotel (great place with phenomenal history of its own), eat at Buen Tiempo next to the bookshop. Or take a drive down those 2 blocks to Highway 550, turn left and you'll be ascending the Million Dollar Highway, started by railroad pioneer Otto Mears and finished in more modern times as a paved two-lane road. One tip about this highway that connects Ouray with Silverton: whoever drives, needs to pay attention! Few guardrails exist, but I'm not sure they would help anyway. There is even an avalanche shed covering the roadway at one point! This gives a non-too-subtle idea of what travel in these precipitous rocks must have been like, and still is.
We would definitely go back again! Pleasant and quiet and close to much else that might interest you in Ouray.

Room Tip: Peace and quiet are important here. Choose a courtyard room for your space.
new mexico
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

We made reservations for the Wiesbaden through another website. We were attracted to the vapor cave and thought it would be a fun place to stay a few nights while in Ouray for a quick weekend getaway with friends. The hotel is located on a side street that is unlit by street lights. From the outside it looks to be a cozy little place. Upon entering the "lobby" we waited for at least 15 minutes before anyone came to the front desk. When the attendant arrived my husband asked her if there was a bathroom he could use (we had just driven 4 hours to get there). The woman at the desk told him he could use the bathroom in his room. Since we were in the process of checking in, we had no choise but to wait...not unheard of...but a little rude I thought. My friend's husband was exploring the lobby while we waited and found a bathroom downstairs near the cave, which he promptly used. So, we check-in and are handed a couple of robes that were...well old, thin and dingy. We were given a key to our room and sent on our way. When cheking in we asked a lot of questions about the springs...hours, locations, dress code, etc. At no time were we ever advised of the smoking ban, if we had been we would not have stayed there.

We went to our room and found it to be extremely small. There was a sink in our room, not in the bathroom mind you, but near the older 12" tv in fact. The bed was small and extremely hard, with a large sagging in the middle. My husband summed it up nicely when he said "We just got screwed".

We put our things down and left our room to meet up with our friends for dinner. Upon returning from dinner about 1 1/2 hours later we walked through the "lobby" to go to our room. I was laughing at something that my husband said as we walked though the lobby. As we left the lobby one of the ladies from the front desk followed my husband and I INTO our room. She told us that she had received a complaint that we appeared to be intoxicated and were disturbing other guests. (There were no other guests anywhere in sight) Totally ridiculous! No one was drunk AND she followed us around the corner to our room, how could she have possibly got a complaint. At this time she told us that we wouldn't be able to partake in the hot springs because of our "behavior". After much discussion we were able to convince her that we were not drunk (I felt a little like an adolecent teen justifiying myself to an angry parent) and she said we could soak. A few minutes later we found out that our toilet and shower were not working. When my husband went to the front desk to notify the staff the same lady again came into the room and checked both the shower and toilet for herself. When she found that they in fact were not working she said she would have someone come and fix them. Shortly after all heck broke loose...my husband went to the front desk to ask if there was a designated smoking area. Our favorite front desk matron quickly told my husband that again we would not be permitted to soak. Not just my husband - the smoker, but no one else either. She insisted that we were told about the smoking policy - which we were not. We were obliviously upset, the entire ordeal was ridiculous and irritating. In the end we asked for our money to be returned and found another place to stay for the night which was AMAZING!

This hotel was old and in disrepair, the cave was creepy and dirty and the staff was incredibly rude and judgemental. It was extremely over priced and not at all worth the expense. Did I mention that they initially overcharged us for our room, had to refund some of the room charge AND that when we left they tried to tell me I couldn't have my refund in cash but maybe a future credit...regardless of the fact that I had checked in with cash. OOOOHHHHHH... AND I almost forgot, when we told the staff we wanted to leave we were offered a free soak in their private Lorelei hot spring..all of us. If there is such a concern about other guests and toxins seeping into the water...why allow us to soak in this special spring. Additionally, they state on their website that "There is no re-circulated water at the Wiesbaden as each pool is continually flowing in one side and out the other", wouldn't that mean that "toxins" are leaving the spring continually?

You decide...

Room Tip: Do your research! There are much better places to stay, the appeal of this hotel is the cave...it...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
wiesbadenhotsprings, Manager at Wiesbaden Hot Springs Spa & Lodgings, responded to this review, June 20, 2014
Dear Guest,

We are sorry to hear about your unpleasant experience. We just wanted to clarify a couple of points:

1. We have not have any online booking channels to date. Right now (June 2014), we are exploring the possibilities. But at the moment, the only way to book a room at our hotel is to call our phone number directly. When we take reservations, we inform the guests of all our policies and don't book rooms till they agree to them. We are sorry for the confusion, but if you could provide that website that you booked a room through, we would like to investigate.

2. We do stand by the purity of our waters. All springs are continually flowing and not treated with any chemicals. That is why we take a diligent care of keeping them clean. The pools are cleaned every single day all year around.

3. The private spring we offered you is outside, therefore there is less risk of nicotine lingering for a long time. Also, because it's private we make sure to block it off for a few hours after your party uses it, so the springs can flush the impurities off (only takes a few minutes). Obviously we cannot do the same to public areas like the Vaporcave and the outdoor pool, that is why offered you the private pool.

Again, we are very sorry for your unpleasant experience - if you could provide is with the website that you booked your stay through it would be great. Please feel free to call or email us with any other questions or comments.
Boulder, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

My husband made the reservation, so I didn't find out until I read the reviews, and then asked him if it was true. Yes it is true, not only are you not to smoke on the property, you are required to be a non-smoker period, and most strange you are requested not to have smoked for the last 3 months.
Now while I do understand the first 2 requests, the last one leaves me puzzled. How could my having smoked a cigarette 3 months ago affect the pristine nature of this lovely lodging ? I did inquire but the receptionist on duty could do no better than explain that someone had told the owner that 3 mos. is reasonable, and then shrugged her shoulders. I do agree that an owner, boss, whomever can make any rules she wants, just please, don't try to make me believe it's a "truth". That being said, the vapor cave is wonderful, the establishment clean, the pool nice, and it is well located. It might be better to drop "spa" from the title, as I did see some complaints that it wasn't "spa" like, and it's not, not pampered-luxurious enough for what most people think of as "SPA". We enjoyed our stay, and would stay again,however, why, when I haven't smoked cigarettes in 30 yrs., does this rule make me want to go out and smoke one now?

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Wiesbaden Hot Springs Spa & Lodgings? Share your experiences!