“More aptly named "Victorian Motel"” 2 of 5 stars

Ouray Victorian Inn
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   50 Third Ave, Ouray, CO 81427   |
Ranked #4 of 14 Hotels in Ouray
Tuba City
“More aptly named "Victorian Motel"”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2010

I found this place using an online search for pet friendly lodging. The reviews seemed positive online. When we drove up I derided myself for not being more discriminating when I was doing my online searching. It was a motel (which is obvious now that I look back on the photos). The room was dark, with old blankets and bed spread, and thin walls. Otherwise, it was fine for a motel. The only motivation I have to actually write a review was the egg incident. The breakfast is an inexpensive continental breakfast which we partook of more due to convenience rather than hunger. There was an egg cooking machine available, in which you could boil a raw egg. The hostess was clearly annoyed at having to give instructions again and again at how to correctly use this machine (obviously oblivious to the ridiculousness of customers having to cook their own eggs!- never experienced that before) But I did figure the machine out and cooked my own eggs, and since they were done 15 minutes later, I took them with me and ate them during our 8 mile hike--delicious! The next day I did this again, but left to do something in my room and returned and they were already done (oops). The hostess had the eggs and chastized me, telling me they provided only food for breakfast, not for lunch. Many thoughts ran through my mind like "I would have eaten them for breakfast if I did not have to wait for them to be cooked" or " Do you want to add 45 cents to my room charge?" but I said " Do you want me to put them back?" She said no, but wasn't sure that she made her point, so as I was walking out of the breakfast room, she yelled after me, "we only serve breakfast, not lunch!" Good thing she didn't find the five Eggos that I had stuffed in my pockets! (joke)
In short I will chose to find my pet friendly lodging (and eggs) in another place next time I come to Ouray.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
OVIJan, Owner at Ouray Victorian Inn, responded to this review, September 22, 2010
We’re sorry this guest was unhappy with her stay, but we are a little confused. This is a motel and we think it is clear from the photos and the description on our web site that the Victorian Inn is most definitely a motel (and proud to be one) and not a bed & breakfast as this guest appeared to be expecting. We also are surprised by the comment on dark rooms as the rooms face south but we understand that everyone has a different perspective.

We serve a buffet continental breakfast as a convenience to our guests for consumption on our premises. As part of our free breakfast we offer do-it-yourself fresh eggs instead of premade scrambled eggs. The vast majority of our guests really enjoy having real hot eggs cooked as the way they like. We are sorry this guest felt inconvenienced at having to wait a few minutes.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2010 via mobile

The bathroom is CLEAN! Rooms are very nice. There's no AC, but who needs it when the evenings are so wonderfully cool. Hotel is right be the creek and it was wonderful to hear the water. Very soothing. We'll be back this way again and will definately stay here. Also, check out the San Juan Scenic Jeep Tour company - excellent tour over Bear Pass and Iomogene. Worth every penny!!

• Stayed September 2010
Bellingham, WA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2010

Located near downtown, Ouray we were booked into a second floor room with beautiful mountain views. The room had two comfortable queen beds, a flat screen TV, desk and other amenities. The back window of the room faced a stream, so we could hear the soothing sounds of water running when we left the window open. The room was immaculate and the hotel is very well maintained. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay here, and slept very well. In the morning we went down to the free breakfast room and had our choice of lots of different foods. I had hot tea, orange juice, oatmeal and two boiled eggs. My partner had cereal with milk, english muffins and an egg. It was a really nice breakfast spread. The Ouray Victorian Inn is an excellent value and a great place to stay. We will definitely come back! This old west style town is a lot of fun to visit; shop and dine in. The mountains surrounding the town make for a very scenic experience.

Diboll
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2010

Our stay at the Victorian Inn was great. The hotel was very nice and clean and a short walk to various points of interest including shopping and eating. We made this our base location and traveled to other area towns during the week. There is no a/c but it is not needed. We slept with the windows open every night and were quite comfortable. The pillows on the bed were better than my pillows at home. Most hotel pillows are flat but these were great. The owners and staff were very friendly and accomodating. We will definitely stay here again if we make another trip to Ouray. It's the best bang for your buck.

Loveland, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2010

The scenery, the quiet (Quiet Hours posted..... how quaint), no blaring big screen TV in breakfast room and who needs air conditioning when you have front and back windows all add up to a most wonderful experience.
Clean room and warmly welcomed. I'd suggest this hotel to anyone in a heart beat!

Albuquerque, New Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2010

I have traveled around the world and have never stayed at a nicer place. Jan, the owner, is responsive to your needs and very friendly, she really made us feel at home. Highly recommended to other travelers.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Southern Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2010

We are previous hotel owners. We found the Victorian to be nice and clean. That is our first priority with any hotel. Beyond that, Jan, the owner, was at the desk when we arrived. She was very helpful and professional. We liked the fact that Roscoe, the hotel dog, was sleeping in a chair behind the desk. We have a dog who loved hotel guests too, so it is nice to see. Outside our room was a mountain stream that gave us a wonderful sound all night. It was cool outside, but we left the window open just to hear the stream. The two hot tubs are nice. There was another group of adults at one of the hot tubs and my family with two girls 7 & 10 were comfortable using the other and not having to be part of their group. Breakfast was a nice change from traditional hotel continental breakfast. The egg cooker things were great. You just take as many eggs as you want, put them in a cooker with some water and in a few minutes you had REAL cooked eggs and you could make them whatever hardness you wanted, very nice touch. Jan visited with us again in the morning and we shared some hotelier stories that were fun to hear and tell. Thank you for your hospitality!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family

Been to Ouray Victorian Inn? Share your experiences!