“Animal Welfare” 3 of 5 stars

Bradford, United Kingdom
9 attraction reviews
“Animal Welfare”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

When you park in the car park area you think the centre is going to be a small place inside. Wrong! The reception area is small, however the grounds beyond extend for several acres. If you like a walk then you are in for a treat. The walk down to the sanctuary is very long through woodland on a tarmac path. There is a frequent landtrain for anyone not able to walk the distance. About half way down the path we came across the hospital, however we were a little disappointed to see no animals in the hospital at that time. This seems rather mean of me to say that but there was a member of staff there explaining all the work they do in the hospital to the visitors. At the side of the hospital was a hut/cafe/ice cream shop which wasnt open. It was spring bank week so I was surprised at this. We walked down to the sanctuary and then saw the seals and sea lions etc. It was a lovely place to be as the weather was kind to us. Its rather open if it rains so bring your brollie. Would I go again... maybe not... as there was not quite enough to see for my liking for the admission price. I admire conservation though so I will not quibble the price as it is saving animals lives.

Visited May 2013
SealSanctuaryGweek, Marketing at Cornish Seal Sanctuary, responded to this review, August 1, 2013
Thank you for your comments and glad you had a lovely day out.

Wickford, United Kingdom
11 attraction reviews
“Worth a Visit”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

We arrived just as it opened, which was brill as the seals were just being fed. The whole Park is set in an amazing grounds. The backdrop reminds you of a being in a rainforest. You have to see it to believe it. We decided to walk from reception to where the seals are, which was well worth it. The animals are well cared for and we ended up adopting "BabyFace" the seal who has one eye, but loves his photo to be taken. The penguins and otters are also very happy.

The price for us was £10 per adult and children under 3 was free. I don't think this is expensive, when the money goes towards the animals. Plenty of seats if you want to take a picnic. Don't forget to sponsor a seal, otter or a Penguin.

Bristol, United Kingdom
26 attraction reviews
“Penguins and old seals worth a look”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

This is a lovely place to just walk around and see all the rescue seals some are so old and battle scarred they are adorable. The penguins are hilarious and the otters when you can sport them a joy. Do go.

Visited October 2012
Many thanks for your lovely comments, the penguins are hilarious! Look forward to seeing you again!
Shepperton, United Kingdom
“Dreadful”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

I have written a complaint email to the sanctury but as yet I have not had a response:

Hello,

My family and I visited your seal sanctuary today, we saw it advertised in one of the travel magazines.

I have to say how throughly disappointed we all were in our trip.

When we arrived we received a very confusing explanation of the layout of your park, it was obviously very rehearsed but we couldn't quite comprehend the speech.

We were offered a booklet for £4.50 but we declined as we felt paying £42 was quite substantial for a day out (2 x adults 1 x student and 1 x child under 3).

Upon entering the park we found we didn't have any kind of map consequently we had no idea where we were going (even the major tourist attractions provide their customers with free maps!) we attempted to board the bus as we had a baby and a stroller. Unfortunately there was no room for us.

We then trekked up hill. I personally struggled with this as I have quite bad arthritis and had no idea what the layout would be. We arrived at the kiosk which was shut. Our son at this point was very hungry we had to leave him in his stroller and feed him lunch there.

We then thought we would look at the seal hospital once again we were left disappointed as there was nothing but a blow up plastic seal to look at.

At this point we had thought about turning around and asking for a refund, however we persevered in anticipation of a dramatic improvement in our experience.

We were left nothing but disappointed.

Admittedly we saw a few seals, 2 penguins, and 2 sea lions. The otters, after another lengthy walk were asleep.

Admittedly you can't control when they are awake or asleep so I will give you that one.

We returned for lunch. Your BBQ was shut. We were left with the very basic food offering you have in your cafe which was satisfactory. My husband got a high chair which was filthy and I had to give it a very thorough clean!

After that we wanted to go home. We were able to catch the bus.

When we left we walked passed your reception, we had no 'bye' or 'did you enjoy your visit?' We felt this is probably because they didn't want to hear anymore bad feedback.

I don't begrudge paying money towards a worthwhile charity and conservation but what I don't appreciate is being taking advantage in this way.

Only yesterday we went to a sea life sanctuary which was well worth the money and we had a fantastic time.

Places like yours rely on word of mouth and return visits. I can honestly say there is no way I would ever recommend a visit to your park and I also plan on writing a review online.

My husband commented that recently we took a visit to Alton Towers admittedly we did have a discount voucher, however it was the same price as your park. Which really puts it into perspective.

I would value my experience at £5 per adult £4 per student and obviously at under 3's kept free therefore in total I would like to have paid £14.

I would like a refund of the difference of £28.

I would welcome your response.

Visited June 2013
SealSanctuaryGweek, Marketing at Cornish Seal Sanctuary, responded to this review, July 31, 2013
I apologise for not having had a response at this point. Since this review we have responded to the complaint. If you have any other questions or queries please don't hesistate to contact us at the Cornish Seal Sanctuary.
staffordshire
8 attraction reviews
“Fantastic place to visit”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

An amazing place, the seals are lovely the staff are very friendly and knowledgable, they have one Californian fur seal, and yes it's like an American, loud, cocky and loves to be the centre of attention. Well worth the money to get in, the only down sides are the annoying seagulls and children.
They have courtesy bus to transport guests too and from.

I now know the difference between a seal and a sea lion

Visited June 2013
The Cornish Seal Sanctuary are very pleased you had a good day and thank you for your lovely comments.