“Great getaway and pool lovers paradise” 4 of 5 stars

Mount Princeton Hot Springs Resort
15870 County Road 162, Nathrop, CO 81236   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Nathrop
Denver, CO
“Great getaway and pool lovers paradise”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2014

Stayed 2 nights Memorial Day weekend in the lodge and really liked the convenience of the bar, restaurant and parking location . I explored the grounds and was impressed with how much this place has to offer with different accommodations and lots of swimming pools and a convenience store. The staff was excellent and I did not experience any issues like other reviews mention, I felt everyone went out of their way to be courteous and helpful.

The pools were good, and I spent most of the time at the relaxation pool next to the spa. One of the cascade pools was cold and disconnected from the other two and good thing since there appeared to be some algae growth in the connecting channel. This was the only thing disappointing. Went to check out the hillside pool and had a great time using the water slide. There is a great snack bar there as well.

The spa was great and I recommend the Mt. Princeton 90 min package as you get a little of everything. The restaurant was good had a happy hour, two dinners and a breakfast there and prices were reasonable for mountain resort. If staying more than 2 days I may have wanted to explore Buena Vista for dining options. The cafe at the spa was good as well, had a panini, smoothie for lunch and yogurt and fruit cup for breakfast.

Drove 11 miles to St. Elmore and explored and too lots of great photos. There are a few horse stables in the area which might be fun to check out next time.

Overall, I think this place is a gem and will plan to come back again.

Room Tip: Lodge is really convenient but not a lot of rooms.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (238)
san antonio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2014

I am very disappointed with my two night stay. I love to try out different hot spring resorts but this one was not up to par on many levels. The accommodations were acceptable but the service left much to be desired. After encountering the house keeper in the hall at about 10 am I was asked if there was anything I needed. I responded with a bottle of water and she promptly gave it to me. I had not realized at the time that she interpreted this to mean she didn't have to service my room. So it went unattended. Prior to that she was being reprimanded by a manager so maybe I was better off without her service. I stayed in room 43 and noticed a faint sewer smell but no other rooms were available. The bar service from Beau was the best part of the stay. I lost internet and cable service briefly even though the weather was perfect. The bar service and staff at the lower pools was extremely slow. It was not the fault of the staff they were completely overwhelmed. The bartender was the bar back, waiter,cook and bartender all in one. The bar and spa service areas were often unattended. The grand finale was my morning shower! I attempted to regulate the water to something less than scalding and was unable. I approached the front desk and she informed me that they could not cool the water because the river was flowing to high and the cooling tank was being cleaned six times a day because of all the debris from the high flowing water. She then suggested I could go shower in the spa because they are on a different water system. I promptly walked down to the spa and again found it unattended. I walked into the men's locker to look for a clean towel but could find none. At 8:45 AM a young lady appeared behind the counter and I asked if I could have a towel. She responded that the spa does not open till nine and come back in fifteen minutes. I explained that the water in the lodge was not usable due to the high heat and I only needed five minutes and a towel so I don't miss my airplane ride home. She said no and I should try the bathhouse. I asked if the bath house was on the same water supply as the spa and she said she didn't know. I really hope they get their staff educated in the proper ways to perform in the HOSPITALITY business. They really have a special place with so much potential it's sad to see it not operate like the true gem it could be!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Lafayette, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2014

We went to Mt Princeton for our honeymoon. It was paradise. The scenery was breathtaking and the staff was very helpful and friendly. We stayed in a cliffside room which offfers a view of the whole resort including the the creek which was flowing through the middle. The pools were spectacular; I've never experienced such clean fresh natural water that was the perfect temperature. The 400 ft. slide was fun even for the grown ups. We also enjoyed the Japenese soaking pools under a starry night-excellent! We had a few wonderful meals at the lodge restaraunt including the best burger I've ever had. We definitely appreciated the concierge Gary A. who's wonderful countenance added to our dining experience. Thanks again Gary! We are already talking about going to the resort again with our extended family to share the amazing experience with others. I would also like to try the horseback riding at the stables a short ways down the road. Thanks to everyone at Mt. Princeton Resort for making our honeymoon such a wonderfully memorable experience.

Sincerely, Kevin R. Kersey

Room Tip: cliffside offers the best view and more secluded from the main action
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Boulder, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2014

We stayed overnight in a cabin near the spa entrance and wished we had time to stay for a week!
The spa pools were relaxing. I especially liked the cascading "natural" style pools. All the staff is friendly and relaxed. Spa classes were included, and my daughter and I tried water yoga in the morning in the big spa pool. Great way to start the day. The views are incredible. The kids loved the water slide (so did I). The only thing that would be nice is if there were warmer pools up at the water slide pool, so we didn't have to split up to be able to relax in the water. The river was raging, so we couldn't go sit in it, but we really didn't have enough time anyway!

The cabin was wonderful and clean with a loft and nice living area. We had happy hour on the porch in big comfortable wooden rockers and chairs while the kids stayed inside. We got smoothies and panini sandwiches at the spa juice bar. Very convenient.

It's actually more economical to stay overnight there if you want to use the spa pools. And I hope to go back soon...the Colorado trail is nearby for hiking and rafting is only 12 minutes away (we also did this on our way there). St. Elmo is an old mining town further up the road that I've been meaning to explore...a massage might be nice if we stay a couple of days next time.

Everyone was more than satisfied at Mt. Princeton Hot Springs.

Room Tip: We liked the cabins by the spa - in fact, next time I might try one by the river, but if you mostly...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Lafayette, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2014

Everything was great -- my husband said he'd never been anywhere else that everyone on the staff was so pleasant and helpful. The whole set-up and grounds are beautiful, and the variety of pools is so much better than most hot springs. We had a great horseback ride at the near-by Mt. Princeton Stables as well. The only disappointments were that we didn't know the water slide didn't open til Memorial Day, so we'll keep that in mind for the future, and that the creek was too high for the creekside pools to be availalble which of course is totally out of the control of the resort. We would very highly recommend the resort, and will surely be back!

Room Tip: The Hillside rooms are obviously great for kids, but the Cliffside rooms with the outdoor patios had...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2014

This was my second time staying there, great experience over all. A couple of minor things, shower temperature in the lodge was bi-polar, there were some kids in the relaxation pool both days I was there, and I think its supposed to be an adult only pool. Also there needs to be a big clock put up on the building next to the relaxation pool so you can see what time it is- "is it time for our dinner reservation?" "I don't know, I have to check my phone…" which is a freezing ordeal after being in the very warm water…lol. A free breakfast option would be very good as well.

However, our room was clean, the staff were friendly, the food was good! I did have the patio all to myself around 11am for my late breakfast right before my departure…it was beautiful to sit there alone looking at the mountains, and my basic breakfast hit the spot. Gary was the host that morning, he is SUPER friendly. Honestly, it felt like I was back home in New England, I loved talking with him, and being called "honey" in a friendly way. Its just like in Maine when older folks say "de'ah"…..makes you feel good to know there are friendly people all over this country. The concierge, Mr. Engles was also VERY friendly, and wanted to make sure everyone was haivng a good time.

Thanks everyone, I'll be back!

Room Tip: cliff side rooms- you are going to have a major hike, unless you choose to drive back and forth betw...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Colorado Springs, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014 via mobile

This was our third trip to Mount Princeton and it has come a long way since our first visit. We've come without our kids before but this time we brought them. The river area is great with kids because you can make your own little pool and control the temperature. It's also shallow. The grounds are huge so there is lots of room for kids to run around and there are plenty of picnic areas. We stayed in the new building on top of the hill, which is very nice with great views. The walls are kind of thin. We could hear our neighbors alarm in the morning. The restraunt has good food and is reasonably priced but service is usually slow. This is the nicest hot springs resort close to Colorado Springs. There are a variety of pools and tubs. The kids love the water slide pool that opens for the summer and when we go just the two of us we enjoy the small tubs. Mount Princeton is a beautiful, mountain escape!

• Stayed April 2014

Been to Mount Princeton Hot Springs Resort? Share your experiences!