“Great Mountain Getaway” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Nathrop
Pueblo West, Colorado, United States
“Great Mountain Getaway”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

On October 12, 2013, my daughter was married in a beautiful meadow, next to a bubbling brook at Mt Princeton Hot Springs Resort! In the background were the towering chalk cliffs of Mt Princeton. The reception took place in a beautiful building called the pavilion. This building has 360 degree views with accordion doors on all sides, wood beamed ceilings, and stone pillars. The setting was breathtaking! More importantly, the staff was phenomenal! They waited on our guests with a smile and genuine desire to help. The food was outstanding! All of our guests raved about the food and service at Mt. Princeton. There are basically three types of accommodations - cabins, lodge rooms, and motel style rooms. All rooms are very nice with all the things you would expect to find in a hotel. The cabins are all new, clean, and fun. The bathrooms in the cabins are brand new and clean. You will find granite countertops in the kitchen, matching furniture, and a gas log stove. Additionally, each cabin has separate heating systems in the main room and the bedrooms.

The spa is wonderful. Beautiful, warm pools that are available to guests really made the stay fun.

Book early! The word is out on Mt Princeton! I booked my daughter's wedding 1 1/2 years in advance! It was worth the wait! We all had a wonderful time !

Room Tip: The cabins seem expensive, but they are so fun! The have efficiency kitchens with everything you ne...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
MtPrincetonMngmt, Manager at Mount Princeton Hot Springs Resort, responded to this review, November 26, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your kindly worded review. We are so happy to hear that your friends and family had such a great experience at Mt. Princeton Hot Springs Resort for your daughter’s wedding. We are very pleased that we are able to help create memories that will last a lifetime.

We hope that you will come back to visit sometime in the near future and celebrate such a beautiful union!

Best Wishes to you and the Newlyweds,

Mt. Princeton Hot Springs Resort Management

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (238)
Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

In a very rustic part of Colorado, this is a gem! I stayed in a cabin with friends - it was great. The ONLY reason why I didn't give this place five stars is that it was just a little inconvenient to get from my cabin (which was down the road a way) to the pool. I had to get in my car and drive there. Also, the restaurant could have been better... BUT this place is by far and away and gem in the Buena Vista area. The spa pool facilities rival any Scottsdale pool I've been to.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Valued Guest,

We greatly appreciate your kind review and your business. It is great to hear that you enjoyed your time spent at Mt. Princeton Hot Springs Resort. We hope you are able to visit sometime in the future.

Best Wishes,

Colorado Springs, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

We had a nice couple of days, excepting for a couple of things. We hadn't been to Mt Princeton since it was renovated, so we were pretty impressed by the improvements. However, a couple of unfortunate things happened while we were there. They sprinklers turned on in the mornings and on our first morning, I actually slipped on the steps and fell all the way down. Since the sprinklers were running onto the steps and because it was cold out, the water froze and the steps were really slippery. If that wasn't bad enough, when I told the young lady at the front desk, she didn't even ask if I was okay. Perhaps the sprinklers need to be checked and directed at the grass instead of the sidewalks and steps. Just a thought. Also, on the first day, I had asked if the hairdryer in my room could be repaired. No one showed up at the appointed time to fix it, so we went our entire stay without it. Other than those two things, we had a nice stay. The muffins are yummy and the scenery very lovely. We would go back again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your review. We are so sorry to hear about your fall. Guest safety is a priority here at the resort and if you do not feel as though you received the care you should have from our staff, we can not be more apologetic. We take all guest complaints about safety seriously and will look into solving the issue that is being created by our sprinkler system.

We have shared your experience with our front desk staff for them to understand that a little sympathy and follow-up make all the difference in your experience.

We hope that you will visit again soon so that we are able to assist in providing an even better stay for you and your guests.

Best Wishes,

Denver, Colorado
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

My main problem with this resort has to do with the pools - not the customer service (although it was avg. at best). It is obvious that the people who created the pools do not use them...I've been to many hot springs...my goal was to relax "in" the water, read, and enjoy the scenery. (One view from the small pools included two huge electrical poles!)

NONE of the pools have sitting ledges inside the pools except the three small soaking pools. Unless you bring your own floatation device you must just STAND in the water to "relax") or possibly find a place to sit on the one set of steps - used by everyone entering/exiting the pool. The small pools don't even have a place to sit on the outside edge because the edge is covered by huge boulders (pretty but definitely not comfortable for sitting on the water's edge!!! The sitting edge inside these pools is so rough that it snagged my swimsuit everytime I tried to sit and relax!! It ruined my swimsuit - Only ONE of the small soaking pools was warm enough - the others were lukewarm at best.
None of the pools listed the water temp - which was ONLY available inside the bath house. The warmest water was found in one of the community pools - which had NO PLACE TO SIT NOT EVEN ON THE POOLS EDGE. The distance between the water and the edge of the pool was a full foot (12 inches) - making it impossible to get out of the pool anywhere except via the steps - (which is where everyone went to sit.) this pool allowed kids - so forget trying to keep your book dry with all the splashing around. I'm confounded that these pools offer only one way in/out. What would happen if there were some need for a quick exit?? Plus, this pool offered entry into the pool through a door in/out of the bath house - which meant you had to exit into the bath house and walk down an inside hall to get to the other door that made its way back to the sitting area!! Bad Design!!
One more thing- the bath house does NOT offer hair dryers in the women's locker room!!! Upon leaving the pool area I had no way to dry my hair...
Again, the pool accommodations are obviously designed by someone that doesn't want to relax for lengthy periods in an environment with options to sit along the inside of the pool. FYI, when one gets too hot to remain immersed in the water - it is helpful to be able to sit partially in the water to cool down...not an option in these pools!
That is all I can say for now. I live in Colorado and the good news is that there are many other places nearby to enjoy an alternative hot springs experience.
ONE MORE THING...why is there no place to recycle bottles, trash etc.??? Plus the cups offered for water are about the size of two mouthfuls...could they possibly offer a cup that might be larger - last longer? Please.
I did stay in a Cliffside room. If was quite nice...pretty basic but the beds were great! Not many TV channels - --Nice place to sit outside with great views. We had two queen beds...and paid $146.00/night...

Room Tip: Cliffside rooms from # 1 - #9 do not have as good views and the higher numbered rooms. Cliffside ro...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Southern Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

We have visited several times and it just keeps getting better and better! The staff is caring and considerate. From the front desk to the new spa facility every single employee we met gave us excellent customer service. I have to give a special thanks to Gil the concierge who guided two days of our visit. Without his help we would never have attempted the drive up to Marshall Pass and the lake. It was prime time for Aspen watching and a most pleasurable trip. Despite the fact that I was the only one to come to a scheduled yoga class,the instructor personalized the time just forr me! If I could suggest any recommendation it would be to work on the restaurant service. Although our wait staff were always very personable, the service was very slow. Given the fact we were on vacation it wasn't a dealbreaker and the food was always good. I loved the fruit bowls everywhere with fresh fruit available all the time. I will definitely visit again.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Lodge which was very convenient to everything. Next time we may rent a cabin.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

I found Mt. Princeton Resort on-line and was pretty confident it was what we were looking for based on the Trip Advisor reviews - hot springs, mountains, clean & comfortable rooms, good dining options. I recommended it to the couple we were travelling with and they agreed because they trusted my research/judgement.

As we neared the anticipated end of a long journey from Denver via Colorado Springs my heart sank when we saw the run-down Mt. Princeton Resort sign at the highway turn off. Oh no. What had I committed us to??? Luckily that sign was no indication of the absolutely amazing resort we were about to experience. Staff were friendly and helpful. The cabin was spacious, clean, and well-appointed. The hot springs were phenomenal. And my absolute favourite part was the Spa...luxurious, comfortable, and relaxing. Soaking in the hot springs while gazing at the stars/mountains was a trip highlight.

Highly recommend this resort...but please update your sign!! :-)

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Carbondale, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

First time at Mt. Princeton Hot Springs. The room was exceptionally clean and the food at the Lodge restaurant is high quality. Service was excellent across the entire facility. On Saturday we were told that the pools opened at 8:00 AM and so were there on Sunday at 8 along with several others. The open time is 9 on Sunday but the staff let us in anyway. That was impressive. Overall, I would highly recommend staying and we will very likely return. If there was a drawback, it was that we had no cell or wifi reception at least with a Verizon phone. However, a 5 minute drive down the road and we had full reception.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Mount Princeton Hot Springs Resort? Share your experiences!